mtbr member
    Jan 2016

Borealis Hubs and Vendors documentation - What is reasonable to expect?

I have six Borealis hubs - one on each of three wheel sets. All of the back wheels have had issues. Two broken axles and one with XD driver issues (driver is not really the hub i realize). i have never had issues with Hubs before this other than having to grease the XT hubs from my 1990 Ritchey Ultra. i am disappointed that these Borealis hub axles are causing me so much grief.

Anyway, i want to fix them. i have a replacement axle for one of my hubs and am trying to figure out how to take the hub apart. i have the end cap off and the XD driver removed but dont know the next step. if you do, please let me know what i need to do!

Here's what is really frustrating. i emailed Borealis to see if they could show me where their manuals are (...they dont exist) or tell me what i need to do next. They wont tell me. They have told me i should not be fixing my hub and that i need to take it to my lbs.

Here's my question! Is this reasonable? Every problem that i have fixed myself i have been able to do so with documentation found online and supplied by the vendors. This seems pretty bad and i feel like they should be pressured into either telling me what i need to know or documenting their products! note that i purchased the wheel that i am trying to repair directly from Borealis.
    Last edited by TimWebber; 04-16-2018 at 03:08 PM.

mtbr member
    I get that BS a lot. "Have your local bike shop service it." I AM my local bike shop tech! Unless the shop has exclusive access to tools and knowldge that are kept from the general public, this is nonsense.

I had a similar issue with a DNM dropper post. It's serviceable, but they do not provide documentation for the procedure, so I am flying blind with this thing.

Moral of the story- avoid components from companies that don't help you extend the life of their products. They want you to throw it away and buy another one, in case you're a big enough sucker to do that.
    Thorn in your Sidewall
    Vassago Jabberwocky

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Thx Mack. This is sad and i 100% agree. no more business for vendors that will not document their product so i can maintain it myself - or at least have the choice to maintain it. i would not mind hearing from a few vendors themselves. The other thing would be...are you at a higher risk of this type of BS if you deal with smaller vendors or is this type of thing more limited that it might seem?

since 4/10/2009
    The occurrence of this is hit-or-miss. Sometimes, there's a pretty valid technical reason why mfrs do not want you to service parts. I have my Thomson dropper post out for such service right now. I knew going in that I'd eventually have to send my post away for Thomson to do a fairly expensive service (compared to posts that are fairly inexpensively user-serviceable). But I also went in expecting that I wouldn't have to touch it for awhile. And everything is pretty much what I expected. So I'm not upset by that.

Hub servicing is entirely different. Anyone should be able to service a bearing component with the right tools. Even the most expensive hubs out there are user serviceable for the most part. This line from Borealis is crap.

To be fair here, you're dealing with fatbike hubs it sounds like. Due to the extra width, they flex more than narrower-width mtb hubs will. So they're prone to problems with axles and bearings. Freehubs seem to be especially problematic. QR axles are worse. Industry Nine has confirmed this with me in conversations I've had with their ppl at shows.

I have Hope hubs on my fatbike. Which certainly have their documented problems. Because of that, I pay very close attention to them. I've probably been doing okay in large part because of that and the fact that I don't put out a ton of power. I'm a spinner. So a bit less stress on them.