It's ALLll..the way down!
    Jul 2006

Bonty 2012 XR4 limited vs. Maxxis High roller?

Hi fellas,

Here's my dilemma; I like the new Bonty XR4 limited (non tubeless) 2.35 a lot... wide footprint (6.1cm), grips like hell but the sidewalls are too thin which causes the tire to become wobbly in low pressure (28psi) and prone to snake bites (the trails i ride are filled with big and edgy rocks). So... I switched them out to Maxxis high roller 2.35 (UST, EXC, L.U.S.T.. the whole sha-bang). The sidewalls are much thicker and tougher and I can run them really low (>28psi) without any problem BUT... the High Roller wash out easier compared to the XR4 because it is narrower (5.4cm).

A little background on my riding before I ask you guys my question. I weight 73-74kg, rides a 2012 Trek Slash 9, I'm not a hardcore rider... do a little drops here and there but mostly technical AM riding; meaning I roll with the boys on DH bikes on DH trails but not at their break-neck speed. Unfortunately I only have ONE mountain bike hence I use this very same bike for epic cycling adventures as well... covering 80km over several mountains a day, on dirt tracks and tarmac. I avoid wet weather, don't join the boys for DH runs if the trail is wet... can't afford to have broken bones when my family depends on me. So here's my question:

Does the High roller make more sense than the XR4 with the type of riding stated above? Any feedback is much appreciated!

p.s: I switched out the original Bonty rhythm pro wheels to Fulcrum Red Zone XLR wheels, does this affect tire performance as well?

Eric.
    Last edited by Keninshiro; 07-24-2012 at 06:01 AM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I replaced the HR with the XR4 Team Issue TLR because the HR washed out alot. It is not because they are thinner, but becayse there is a large dead zone between the center and outer knobs (no transition). My riding style is ont condusive to tihs design.

That being said, I run my XR4s tubeless with Stan's strips and at 28 psi, there is no wobbliness or squirmy feeling. I would suggest you get the TLR version as the sidewalls are a bit stiffer. Whether you use tubes you not is your call.
    2011 Santa Cruz Blur LTc
    2005 KHS DJ200
    2005 Rocky Mountain ETSX-70 (stolen)

mtbr member
    Oct 2010

Try the High Roller 2, its much improved.

I switched from the HR to XR4 Team Issue TLR and loved the change due to not having that vague feeling in transition to the side knobs. After I tore the sidewall on the XR4 on some rocks I switched back the the High Roller II. It has beefier sidewalls and I have yet to wash out on the front -- the tread pattern is changed just enough to have more grip in transition. On the back I run Maxxis Ardent if I want to slide the rear end around corners during the summer when trails are smooth and XR4 on the rear spring, fall and winter when conditions are variable and traction is at more of a premium.