mtbr member
    Aug 2010

Bontranger SSR 29 tubeless?

Has anybody attempted to set up the SSR wheels tubeless? I have a set of 2011 Nobby Nics TLR that I would like to set up tubeless, but can't find any information on running the SSR rims tubeless. The SSR's came with a 2011 Trek X-Cal btw.

One of the reasons I ask is some of the Bonty rims are advertised as TLR and some are not. I don't want to go tubeless if there is a good change of burping the tires because they can't hook onto the rims securely.

Thanks for any help!

mtbr member
    Jul 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by c_trail_biker View Post
    Has anybody attempted to set up the SSR wheels tubeless? I have a set of 2011 Nobby Nics TLR that I would like to set up tubeless, but can't find any information on running the SSR rims tubeless. The SSR's came with a 2011 Trek X-Cal btw.

One of the reasons I ask is some of the Bonty rims are advertised as TLR and some are not. I don't want to go tubeless if there is a good change of burping the tires because they can't hook onto the rims securely.

Thanks for any help!
    The SSR is not a tubeless ready rim. Any Bonty rim that is TLR will have a logo on the rim stating that it is. To run the SSRs tubeless you'd have to do a ghetto conversion or a Stans kit. That may have changed in the last year or so, but I doubt it. Wheels from Bontrager that are TLR are the Race Lite series and the Rhythm series. Aftermarket rims that are TLR are the Mustang and the Duster (which is no longer produced). There's supposed to be a replacement for the Duster coming out, but I haven't seen it yet.

To bad you didn't get a 12 Xcal, they come stock with Mustang TLR wheels.

Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"

davidcarson48
    Call Stan's and find out which rim strip kit you need. I set up my buddy's Bontrager Rangers (2010 Cobia), which were not TLR, and they are holding up great with Stan's conversion kit.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Squash View Post
    To bad you didn't get a 12 Xcal, they come stock with Mustang TLR wheels.
    I agree, it would be nice to have TLR wheels out of the box. However, I would have had to pay and extra $200 to get a 2012 and wait for it to be delivered. I thought the wheels were the weakest link and figured I might upgrade them someday anyway. For now I'll see how they hold up and upgrade if necessary.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I have a '11 Cobia with the lesser Ranger wheelset using Spec 2Bliss tires. They have been converted to tubeless with just Stan's yellow tape, sealant and his universal valve. Only major problem so far was a trailside (in a park) inflation that ended with my mini pump unscrewing the valve core from the valve. Just had to throw in a tube to get back to a very close LBS to re-seat the bead. I do deal with weekly leakdown but I mske sure to air up before I ride. GL.
    Last edited by beer_coffee_water; 09-28-2011 at 10:03 AM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by davidcarson48 View Post
    Call Stan's and find out which rim strip kit you need. I set up my buddy's Bontrager Rangers (2010 Cobia), which were not TLR, and they are holding up great with Stan's conversion kit.
    I case anybody else comes across this thread. Stan's told me that the "plus four" is the rim strip to order to the SSR 29" Bontrager wheels.

I had these same wheels on my X-Cal and got them to go tubeless using the Gorilla tape ghetto and the stock Bontrager tires as well. Never had any burps. They were a beeeoootch to get the tires to seat the first time though.