Eatin' aint Cheatin'

Bontrager xr4's team issue....

Received 5 stars in the new mba.. What are your opinions?
    2011 Trek Fuel EX 8
    2010 Cannondale F4

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    The 2.35 version gets good reviews w/ Bike Radar but is heavy at 730 gms. I would be interested in the 2.2 version at more like 630 gms as tested by MTBR and wonder how they hold up in terms of sidewall flex squirm. I like the WTB Bronson in this catagory but find that the side knobs seem to squirm in hard corners. I am interested in other reviews on this tire.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    I have the 120 tpi/2.2 version. For my application(socal trails) rocky,loose,dry and sandy they're good but the pricing is not good.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Do you notice any sidewall squirm and do the roll fast? Have you tried the Bronson, which is the tire I am looking to replace due to the side knob squirm in hard cornering.

Eatin' aint Cheatin'
    The price is good on ebay
    2011 Trek Fuel EX 8
    2010 Cannondale F4

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I'm also curious about these... anyone have insight as to these versus the X-Kings (2.4)?

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I've destroyed two of these with sidewall cuts on brand new tires, and I don't ride in rocky terrain. Might be bad luck, but I can't afford to go through tires that quickly, especially expensive ones.

Eatin' aint Cheatin'
    Ahh what the heck...just bought a pair on ebay for 60 shipped. Going to set up tubeless on my new crosstrails and will report back....
    2011 Trek Fuel EX 8
    2010 Cannondale F4

High Desert MTBer
    DON"T BUY THESE!!! I have sliced 2 of them within 2 weeks of use here in the rocks in Tucson. 2 people I know have done the same thing, 2 destroyed each, in the same period here. The tires are wonderful to ride tho, fast and grippy, but no bloody good if they don't hold up in the chunk. I ride hard a lot here, and in over a year have only trashed the Bontys, none of the many others I have tried.
    I have just switched to the tubeless version of the Tioga Psychos, and so far these seem to be a great replacement, cheaper, and with all the good points of the XR4s. I will update on the sidewall longevity, but they are a lot more robust just feeling and looking at them. They also fit my Mavic rims very easily, almost jumped on themselves!
    It's all Here. Now.

High Desert MTBer
    Quote Originally Posted by stangbang View Post
    Received 5 stars in the new mba.. What are your opinions?
    Reckon they must have paid 'em to give 'em the stars...
    It's all Here. Now.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I've got a 2.35 on the front of the HT, just fits in the 07 Rev's, barely fits in the 2010 reba which has the 2.2 and just about fits.

Good fast rolling all condition front tire used it on rocks and mud and everything inbetween without an issue, I can run pretty soft but there both on DH rims, 729 for the 2.35, DT 6.1 ( 25mm internal ) on the 2.2.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    For the folks that have had problems with them, are you referring to the old design or the new one? I don't think the new design has been out very long, month or two the most.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Can't find the information on a new design, but if there is, maybe they are better. The two I bought were the Team Issue TLR 26" XR4 purchased about 6 months ago, the tires worked really well, it's just that the sidewalls are fairly thin and the first rocks I brushed them against destroyed them. I'm not sure if the Team Issue tires are thinner to make them lighter, if so, I bought the wrong version.

High Desert MTBer
    Yeah I got the teams too, trashed in a heartbeat. This was just about one month ago. Sidewalls were smooth and flimsy feeling.
    It's all Here. Now.

Eatin' aint Cheatin'
    Well I got them mounted up today and you are right...the sidewalls feel about as thick as a condom....lol

Still can't wait to blaze the trail...They definately look like they are gonna hook..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Bontrager xr4's team issue....-ex3.jpg  

2011 Trek Fuel EX 8
    2010 Cannondale F4

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    I am curious about the side wall flex and squirm. Are you running them with tubes?

High Desert MTBer
    I was running mine tubeless, they are supposedly built for that. I didn't have too much of an issue with flex etc. and was running just over 30 psi. Sidewalls just do not have enough resistance to sharp rocks in my opinion. I think this has been shown by many people's experiences from what I can gather. Tires just should not cut as easily as these seem to do. If you are riding XC trails without too much rock, they would be great, but in anything pointy, forget it.
    It's all Here. Now.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Mine were TLR's and I ran them tubeless at 24 in the front and 28 in the rear. The tire worked great until it was destroyed.

High Desert MTBer
    XR4 = Not Fit For Purpose...
    It's all Here. Now.

High Desert MTBer
    Oh Dear! I just sliced my XR2. I was running a mix of the 4s and 2s, now I have none left, that was the third Bontrager in a month to get trashed. I really am disappointed in them. As I said, I have had zero cuts in over a year of running all kinds of tires tubeless on the same trails, and this is definitely not bad luck. Bontrager really need to do something about this, some sort of compensation would be a good start! But I doubt this would happen. I strongly urge people to not buy these if you are riding in rocky chunk, especially of the kind here in S AZ.
    It's all Here. Now.

Eatin' aint Cheatin'
    Finally got to ride on my new xr4's yesterday on Chubb trail in stl. 2.2 setup tubeless at 35 psi front and rear on 2011 Trek Fuel EX 8.

This was my first time on this half of the trail and ended up riding 10 miles on very steep rocky, rooty terrain and a few long flat muddy, hardpack river bottoms. Traction was exceptional. First thing I noticed 5 seconds into the ride, the knobbies were throwing nonstop debris into my downtube...I could tell right then these were grippy. In the flat muddy/hardpack terrain, they gripped very well and mud cleared from tire quickly. These definately drain more leg power than the xr3's when it comes to pedaling. Very reminiscent of Nevegals.

Now onto the fun stuff...Did about a 1 mile climb on a section called "the steps", very steep technical climb with rock steps and roots galore. Tires gripped flawlessly and worked very good on wet roots. This was the hardest climb I have done since I started MTB a little over a year ago. After resting a couple of min at the top, we turned around for the shred back down. I'm not gonna lie, the whole time I was worried about slicing a sidewall after all the incidents I have read about on here, to the point that it was effecting my concentration...lol. On the descent, I was able to rip through the switchbacks with confidence and pretty much take any line I wanted and not worry about the tires slipping off of any of the obstacles. Though I swiped a few rocks with sidewalls, I never heard the dreaded "whoosh". Very lucky.

Overall, so far, I'd rate these a 4 out of 5 stars. I was really hoping for lower rolling resistance, but what are you gonna do? You want traction you gotta pay the price. Speaking of price for the price you can get these on ebay (60/pair) very nice tire.
    2011 Trek Fuel EX 8
    2010 Cannondale F4

Birthday Collector
    Except for that last post, the comments were all regarding the older model - the "new" ones just shipped recently from Trek. Rode them in August in Wisconsin at Trek World and they felt really good. Just got our shipment in this week and will be putting them on my 29'er (both 29 and 26 have the same tread pattern this year...) The older design works well for most NorCal dirt and is great in the mud as a front tire, but might not be a good hardpack/rocky terrain tire (i.e. So Cal, etc...) These aren't race tires, but roll OK for trail tires. So - if you aren't riding trying to keep up with someone faster than you, they should be good. Otherwise, find something small knobbed for the rear!
    R.I.P. Corky 10/97-4/09
    Disclaimer: I sell and repair bikes for a living
    http://www.endlesscyclesonline.com

High Desert MTBer
    Quote Originally Posted by ATBScott View Post
    Except for that last post, the comments were all regarding the older model - the "new" ones just shipped recently from Trek. Rode them in August in Wisconsin at Trek World and they felt really good. Just got our shipment in this week and will be putting them on my 29'er (both 29 and 26 have the same tread pattern this year...) The older design works well for most NorCal dirt and is great in the mud as a front tire, but might not be a good hardpack/rocky terrain tire (i.e. So Cal, etc...) These aren't race tires, but roll OK for trail tires. So - if you aren't riding trying to keep up with someone faster than you, they should be good. Otherwise, find something small knobbed for the rear!
    Do you have any idea how these have changed Scott? When I bought mine here, the guy at the Trek store told me they were new in, just got them. That was only a few weeks ago.
    I emailed Trek/Bontrager about a week ago now to ask them about this issue, but so far no reply. I will give them the benefit of the doubt as they are probably dealing with hundreds of similar issues
    It's all Here. Now.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by rockerc View Post
    Do you have any idea how these have changed Scott? When I bought mine here, the guy at the Trek store told me they were new in, just got them. That was only a few weeks ago.
    I emailed Trek/Bontrager about a week ago now to ask them about this issue, but so far no reply. I will give them the benefit of the doubt as they are probably dealing with hundreds of similar issues
    rockerc - I read the mbaction article but it focused more more on the tread and made little mention of the sidewall. Basically, the old design had tread blocks that alternated side to side up the center in a one/one pattern whereas the new design has tread blocks right up the center in a one/two pattern. The Bontrager site shows the new tread, the guys on ebay are selling the old pattern.

BTW, I'm ride similar conditions to you over here in New Mexico and would like to know what tires you have found that work and hold up to the sharp rocks, cactus, etc.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    old

new

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    If it's not too late for some of you, Bontrager has a 30 day unconditional guarantee. Return them used to the local dealer for a new tire or change models.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Yeah, old XR4's are crap. Tore the sidewall on my second ride here in NM. Most reviews I've read (i.e. MBA, Bike Magazine, Pinkbike) seem to all agree as to the quality of this new tire. Will probably try as a rear on my Remedy.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Ok, had the XR4 for 5 days now. Tire seems good. However, every morning the next day the tire is flat and isn't seated anymore on the rim. I take it to the bike shop every day to add Stan's and air it up with a compressor. No one knows what the deal is. Really annoying. Maybe they're just not very compatible with my DT Swiss M1800 wheels. Other tire is a Schwalbe Hans Dampf -- amazing tire, seats excellent, no problems, super versatile.

No longer a hardtailkid.
    Quote Originally Posted by shawnca7 View Post
    Ok, had the XR4 for 5 days now. Tire seems good. However, every morning the next day the tire is flat and isn't seated anymore on the rim. I take it to the bike shop every day to add Stan's and air it up with a compressor. No one knows what the deal is. Really annoying. Maybe they're just not very compatible with my DT Swiss M1800 wheels. Other tire is a Schwalbe Hans Dampf -- amazing tire, seats excellent, no problems, super versatile.
    I have a set of these guys on my Remedy 9. I just converted to tubeless today and I am not impressed. There are a couple tiny leaks in both tires and the Stans wont seal them up. I noticed on the rear sidewall that a bunch (3 or 4) of white specks (Stans) started appearing when I put the sealant in the tires and aired them up. Those holes sealed up fine, however there are a couple that I can't spot that haven't sealed up. There is a big one (you can hear the air leaking from it) on the front tire right down by the bead. I wonder if the tire is separating. Since I am new to this whole tubeless thing, what pressure is it safe to run these tires up to? I've heard 40psi.
    Quote Originally Posted by anthonys
    Its still just the push of a button away...
    I am no longer a hardtailkid. 2012 Trek Remedy 9!

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by shawnca7 View Post
    Sucks to hear all the problems you are having with the XR4, I had high hopes for it based on the reviews and how much effort Bontrager/Trek put into them. How is the Hans Dampf on loose over hardpack? Are you running it front or rear and in combo with what other tire?

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    You probably can run them up to 40 psi, although that's pretty high. And my XR4s also seep Stan's through the sidewalls. Weird problem. I'm running the Hans Dampfs up front, and was using the Bontrager in the back. Works great in all conditions, including loose over hardpack. I seriously only break traction when the tire is worn out. Super grippy, and rolls decently fast even though it's a pretty aggressive tread pattern. And it's not too heavy, 750 g. The XR4 was actually a great tire.. with a tube in it, but I returned it cuz I'm a tubeless guy. Might just get another Hans Dampf or another Schwalbe.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Anyone have a measurement of the 2012 2.35"? saw a 2.20 at the LBS on a bike and it looked bigger than the 2.35 High Rollers I have on my ride currently.
    2011 Santa Cruz Blur LTc
    2005 KHS DJ200
    2005 Rocky Mountain ETSX-70 (stolen)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nh4cl View Post
    Anyone have a measurement of the 2012 2.35"? saw a 2.20 at the LBS on a bike and it looked bigger than the 2.35 High Rollers I have on my ride currently.
    For the 2012 XR4, the GMS (Global Measuring System) size is 60/58 for the 26 x 2.35 and 56/54 for the 26 x 2.2

mtbr member
    May 2011
    After reading the reviews I purchased a set of the newer team issue tlr tires. They mounted up easily on the stock wheels, bontrager duster, with tubes. We were finally able to ride this past weekend. My only regret is that I rode all last year on the xr3. My setup is a 2011 ex8, 2.35 up front and 2.2 in the rear. 32 and 34 psi gave me great traction with no noticeable roll. They are fast and grippy, cornering was confidence inspiring, even in muddy sections. The tires really shine when climbing roots and rocks. I will update my post after riding next weekend. So far I love them.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I have just mounted up the old XR4 on my 2011 EX8. First impressions were OK. Probably because the rolling resistance was more than the XR's that I took off. I have since messed with tire pressure (now 40psi tubed). Tubeless conversion will be next week.
    2017 Fuel EX 9

mtbr member
    Updates?

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Personally I really like them, our trails have been a mix of rocks, roots and pinestraw and a little sand and hardback. No dependability issues at all and I am cornering like I never dreamed with the stock tires. They seem to roll pretty fast, grip is great in most everything, mud sheds quickly. I would definitely buy another set without question. 8 trips on them and I haven't found anything wrong with them.
    2011 ex8 black

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Mine finally came in after being on backorder for a month. I got the 2.35" Team Issue TLR version. Mounted them up this week without tubes, and they seal just fine. Rode them yesterday for the first time out at Sandy Ridge trails east of Portland. They rolled better than the High Roller II's I replaced. They grip very well on the trail, rocks, roots, mud, no matter. Hooked up well when leaning into bermed switchbacks. I will need a few more rides to get to know them better, but am certainly happy so far.
    2011 Santa Cruz Blur LTc
    2005 KHS DJ200

I quit e-MTBR
    Picked up a pair of the team issue XR4s this past fall. Pricey, but liked them while they lasted. Sidewall failures like everyone else. Maybe a good tire if they haven't yet invented rocks where you ride.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    If you got some last fall, sounds like you got the old version. 2012 version has tougher sidewalls and different tread. Where I live most rocks are volcanic and not kind to sidewalls. I only have one ride on the new version so far, so still early to give a thorough report.
    2011 Santa Cruz Blur LTc
    2005 KHS DJ200

I quit e-MTBR
    Quote Originally Posted by nh4cl View Post
    If you got some last fall, sounds like you got the old version. 2012 version has tougher sidewalls and different tread. Where I live most rocks are volcanic and not kind to sidewalls. I only have one ride on the new version so far, so still early to give a thorough report.
    Correct, I had the 2011 version, different tread.

What's your basis for saying the 2012's have tougher sidewalls?

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Mtn bike Action's review and handling both versions. They brought in a well-respected tire guru to revamp their line. The new version's sidewalls felt thicker and a little stiffer, but certainly not UST stiff.
    2011 Santa Cruz Blur LTc
    2005 KHS DJ200

mtbr member
    Aug 2010

Bontrager XR4's

I am riding these in the UK have ridden them on various terrain including Dalby, Forest of Dean and Thetford Forest. Fantastic in all conditions and on all terrain. I have had one minor slip on some very muddy stuff otherwise these are superb. Grippy, good rolling resistance, I tend to just deflate or re inflate them according to what i am riding. No punctures what else can you say. I ride these in the summer and Bonty Mud-X in the winter and both outperform any Schwalbe or Maxxis product I have ridden.

mtbr member
    The old XR4 was my favorite trail front tire ever. I ran that thing for a long, long time. All of last season, and all of this one so far, with a lot of miles logged. The knobs are starting to get chewed up, but I could probably run it longer if I wanted. I was anxious to try the new XR4 though. I put a 2.2 on back and a 2.35 on front of my Pivot Mach 5.7. I ride pretty damn hard through a lot of rocks in Colorado and have never had an issue with the sidewalls. We'll see how these new ones work out. The TLR versions are stupid easy to setup tubeless on Flow rims with a good floor pump. I don't own a compressor so I like that. They're easy to get on the rim and the beads seat almost instantly. I didn't even have to use any soap and water for the beads and they inflated fine and held air even before I added sealant. I don't have any issues with seepage or air leakage. They maintain air and don't drop much at all over several days. It seems all the Trek dealers in Colorado have been selling them like crazy, selling out quite frequently. If this thing is indeed even better than the old XR4 (and holds up well), I'm going to be an extremely happy mountain biker.
    Gotta get up to get down.
    LMB

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Resurrecting a super old thread - I am using XR4s that came on my Slash 7 2013 (was new old stock, bought about 4 months ago).

I am having tons of trouble running them tubeless (on TLR rims)- not so much leaking Stans, but despite tons of milk being in the tyre, they are going down randomly overnight (could be fine for 3 weeks, then be flat in the morning!). Also, after about 500km of trail/gravel and a few DH runs, I am seeing not insignificant wear on the middle rear of the tyre.

Really thinking about going to HRII or Minions, but not sure whether to jump ship now, or hang in there until they wear out.
    2016 Cannondale SuperX
    2016 Cube Cross Race SL
    2016 Scott Voltage FR 730
    2016 Radon Slide 130 10.0 HD
    2014 Scott Aspect 740

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by Marc2211 View Post
    Resurrecting a super old thread - I am using XR4s that came on my Slash 7 2013 (was new old stock, bought about 4 months ago).

I am having tons of trouble running them tubeless (on TLR rims)- not so much leaking Stans, but despite tons of milk being in the tyre, they are going down randomly overnight (could be fine for 3 weeks, then be flat in the morning!). Also, after about 500km of trail/gravel and a few DH runs, I am seeing not insignificant wear on the middle rear of the tyre.

Really thinking about going to HRII or Minions, but not sure whether to jump ship now, or hang in there until they wear out.
    This is strange. Did you ever sort it out?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by stunnerable View Post
    This is strange. Did you ever sort it out?

Nope, sadly not

I worked out specifics on how to repro the issue: I ran them at ~38-40psi (I am a pretty big guy), and they continually lost air at a rate of about 5psi every 2 or 3 days. It looks like there was a 'critical' level of ~25psi, below which they just deflated randomly.

If I didn't use the bike for 3 or 4 days, chances are I'd suffer the random deflation.

I swapped them out for HRII in October, and not had any issues since (which I think discounts a wheel issue). Was all very odd.
    2016 Cannondale SuperX
    2016 Cube Cross Race SL
    2016 Scott Voltage FR 730
    2016 Radon Slide 130 10.0 HD
    2014 Scott Aspect 740

mtbr member

I have XR4's (tubeless) and for me it's the exact opposite. The air just doesn't escape. Weeks go by with minimal leakage. Should send those tires back to Bontrager to get looked at.