Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Eatin' aint Cheatin'

Bontrager xr4's team issue....

Received 5 stars in the new mba.. What are your opinions?
    2011 Trek Fuel EX 8
    2010 Cannondale F4

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    The 2.35 version gets good reviews w/ Bike Radar but is heavy at 730 gms. I would be interested in the 2.2 version at more like 630 gms as tested by MTBR and wonder how they hold up in terms of sidewall flex squirm. I like the WTB Bronson in this catagory but find that the side knobs seem to squirm in hard corners. I am interested in other reviews on this tire.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    I have the 120 tpi/2.2 version. For my application(socal trails) rocky,loose,dry and sandy they're good but the pricing is not good.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Do you notice any sidewall squirm and do the roll fast? Have you tried the Bronson, which is the tire I am looking to replace due to the side knob squirm in hard cornering.

Eatin' aint Cheatin'
    The price is good on ebay
    2011 Trek Fuel EX 8
    2010 Cannondale F4

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I'm also curious about these... anyone have insight as to these versus the X-Kings (2.4)?

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I've destroyed two of these with sidewall cuts on brand new tires, and I don't ride in rocky terrain. Might be bad luck, but I can't afford to go through tires that quickly, especially expensive ones.

Eatin' aint Cheatin'
    Ahh what the heck...just bought a pair on ebay for 60 shipped. Going to set up tubeless on my new crosstrails and will report back....
    2011 Trek Fuel EX 8
    2010 Cannondale F4

High Desert MTBer
    DON"T BUY THESE!!! I have sliced 2 of them within 2 weeks of use here in the rocks in Tucson. 2 people I know have done the same thing, 2 destroyed each, in the same period here. The tires are wonderful to ride tho, fast and grippy, but no bloody good if they don't hold up in the chunk. I ride hard a lot here, and in over a year have only trashed the Bontys, none of the many others I have tried.
    I have just switched to the tubeless version of the Tioga Psychos, and so far these seem to be a great replacement, cheaper, and with all the good points of the XR4s. I will update on the sidewall longevity, but they are a lot more robust just feeling and looking at them. They also fit my Mavic rims very easily, almost jumped on themselves!
    It's all Here. Now.

High Desert MTBer
    Quote Originally Posted by stangbang View Post
    Received 5 stars in the new mba.. What are your opinions?
    Reckon they must have paid 'em to give 'em the stars...
    It's all Here. Now.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I've got a 2.35 on the front of the HT, just fits in the 07 Rev's, barely fits in the 2010 reba which has the 2.2 and just about fits.

Good fast rolling all condition front tire used it on rocks and mud and everything inbetween without an issue, I can run pretty soft but there both on DH rims, 729 for the 2.35, DT 6.1 ( 25mm internal ) on the 2.2.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    For the folks that have had problems with them, are you referring to the old design or the new one? I don't think the new design has been out very long, month or two the most.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Can't find the information on a new design, but if there is, maybe they are better. The two I bought were the Team Issue TLR 26" XR4 purchased about 6 months ago, the tires worked really well, it's just that the sidewalls are fairly thin and the first rocks I brushed them against destroyed them. I'm not sure if the Team Issue tires are thinner to make them lighter, if so, I bought the wrong version.

High Desert MTBer
    Yeah I got the teams too, trashed in a heartbeat. This was just about one month ago. Sidewalls were smooth and flimsy feeling.
    It's all Here. Now.

Eatin' aint Cheatin'
    Well I got them mounted up today and you are right...the sidewalls feel about as thick as a condom....lol

Still can't wait to blaze the trail...They definately look like they are gonna hook..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Bontrager xr4's team issue....-ex3.jpg  

2011 Trek Fuel EX 8
    2010 Cannondale F4

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    I am curious about the side wall flex and squirm. Are you running them with tubes?

High Desert MTBer
    I was running mine tubeless, they are supposedly built for that. I didn't have too much of an issue with flex etc. and was running just over 30 psi. Sidewalls just do not have enough resistance to sharp rocks in my opinion. I think this has been shown by many people's experiences from what I can gather. Tires just should not cut as easily as these seem to do. If you are riding XC trails without too much rock, they would be great, but in anything pointy, forget it.
    It's all Here. Now.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Mine were TLR's and I ran them tubeless at 24 in the front and 28 in the rear. The tire worked great until it was destroyed.

High Desert MTBer
    XR4 = Not Fit For Purpose...
    It's all Here. Now.

High Desert MTBer
    Oh Dear! I just sliced my XR2. I was running a mix of the 4s and 2s, now I have none left, that was the third Bontrager in a month to get trashed. I really am disappointed in them. As I said, I have had zero cuts in over a year of running all kinds of tires tubeless on the same trails, and this is definitely not bad luck. Bontrager really need to do something about this, some sort of compensation would be a good start! But I doubt this would happen. I strongly urge people to not buy these if you are riding in rocky chunk, especially of the kind here in S AZ.
    It's all Here. Now.

Eatin' aint Cheatin'
    Finally got to ride on my new xr4's yesterday on Chubb trail in stl. 2.2 setup tubeless at 35 psi front and rear on 2011 Trek Fuel EX 8.

This was my first time on this half of the trail and ended up riding 10 miles on very steep rocky, rooty terrain and a few long flat muddy, hardpack river bottoms. Traction was exceptional. First thing I noticed 5 seconds into the ride, the knobbies were throwing nonstop debris into my downtube...I could tell right then these were grippy. In the flat muddy/hardpack terrain, they gripped very well and mud cleared from tire quickly. These definately drain more leg power than the xr3's when it comes to pedaling. Very reminiscent of Nevegals.

Now onto the fun stuff...Did about a 1 mile climb on a section called "the steps", very steep technical climb with rock steps and roots galore. Tires gripped flawlessly and worked very good on wet roots. This was the hardest climb I have done since I started MTB a little over a year ago. After resting a couple of min at the top, we turned around for the shred back down. I'm not gonna lie, the whole time I was worried about slicing a sidewall after all the incidents I have read about on here, to the point that it was effecting my concentration...lol. On the descent, I was able to rip through the switchbacks with confidence and pretty much take any line I wanted and not worry about the tires slipping off of any of the obstacles. Though I swiped a few rocks with sidewalls, I never heard the dreaded "whoosh". Very lucky.

Overall, so far, I'd rate these a 4 out of 5 stars. I was really hoping for lower rolling resistance, but what are you gonna do? You want traction you gotta pay the price. Speaking of price for the price you can get these on ebay (60/pair) very nice tire.
    2011 Trek Fuel EX 8
    2010 Cannondale F4

Birthday Collector
    Except for that last post, the comments were all regarding the older model - the "new" ones just shipped recently from Trek. Rode them in August in Wisconsin at Trek World and they felt really good. Just got our shipment in this week and will be putting them on my 29'er (both 29 and 26 have the same tread pattern this year...) The older design works well for most NorCal dirt and is great in the mud as a front tire, but might not be a good hardpack/rocky terrain tire (i.e. So Cal, etc...) These aren't race tires, but roll OK for trail tires. So - if you aren't riding trying to keep up with someone faster than you, they should be good. Otherwise, find something small knobbed for the rear!
    R.I.P. Corky 10/97-4/09
    Disclaimer: I sell and repair bikes for a living
    http://www.endlesscyclesonline.com

High Desert MTBer
    Quote Originally Posted by ATBScott View Post
    Except for that last post, the comments were all regarding the older model - the "new" ones just shipped recently from Trek. Rode them in August in Wisconsin at Trek World and they felt really good. Just got our shipment in this week and will be putting them on my 29'er (both 29 and 26 have the same tread pattern this year...) The older design works well for most NorCal dirt and is great in the mud as a front tire, but might not be a good hardpack/rocky terrain tire (i.e. So Cal, etc...) These aren't race tires, but roll OK for trail tires. So - if you aren't riding trying to keep up with someone faster than you, they should be good. Otherwise, find something small knobbed for the rear!
    Do you have any idea how these have changed Scott? When I bought mine here, the guy at the Trek store told me they were new in, just got them. That was only a few weeks ago.
    I emailed Trek/Bontrager about a week ago now to ask them about this issue, but so far no reply. I will give them the benefit of the doubt as they are probably dealing with hundreds of similar issues
    It's all Here. Now.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by rockerc View Post
    Do you have any idea how these have changed Scott? When I bought mine here, the guy at the Trek store told me they were new in, just got them. That was only a few weeks ago.
    I emailed Trek/Bontrager about a week ago now to ask them about this issue, but so far no reply. I will give them the benefit of the doubt as they are probably dealing with hundreds of similar issues
    rockerc - I read the mbaction article but it focused more more on the tread and made little mention of the sidewall. Basically, the old design had tread blocks that alternated side to side up the center in a one/one pattern whereas the new design has tread blocks right up the center in a one/two pattern. The Bontrager site shows the new tread, the guys on ebay are selling the old pattern.

BTW, I'm ride similar conditions to you over here in New Mexico and would like to know what tires you have found that work and hold up to the sharp rocks, cactus, etc.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    old

new

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast