mtbr member
    Apr 2009

Bontrager XR4 or SE4 in Plus Sizes?

I have a Stache and a Fuel 27.5+, both with Chupacabras. Checked the Trek site and now they show the XR4 and SE4 in both 29x3.0 and 27.5x2.8, but no Chupacabra. Which is fine, I ran the XR4 on my old 29er and loved them. However, it says they are out of stock, contact your local retailer. Local retailer has never heard of them and doesn't show them as even an option to request from the warehouse.

Anyone know the scoop on these? Anyone have a pair? I like the Chupacabras on the Stache, but would like something more aggressive on the Fuel. Ordered some Maxxis Rekon+ for now.

Always in the wrong gear
    I'm anxiously awiating the new Bontrager tires for the same reasons. I've been a Maxxis or Vittoria guy when it comes to plus tires, but am really excited to see 3.0 rubber that isn't mini-knob XC or Monster Minion.

I, also have not found a way to get my hands on these. I'd probably pull the trigger on the first pair I find.

BTW, on the Trek site, sort "all tires" by 29x3.0 and the Chupa is still in there, It's now in the fatbike section, not the plus section. I don't know why.

One thing I do find very interesting (maybe not in a good way) is if you look at the Chupa page, on the weights and specs link, Trek claims the weight is 850g... doing the same for the XR4 3.0, it's claimed weight is 790.
    Claimed weight is 920 for the SE4.

That's either 1) wrong, 2) paper thin casing, or 3) alien technology.
    Donít modify the trail to match your skills, modify your skills to match the trails.

mtbr member
    I would love to see the XR4 and XR3 in 2.6 sizes also. One guy at Flat Tire seemed to think those sizes were on the way. Imagine a $55 Plus tire. I already say $55 XR4 at flat tire on Sunday.
    Joe
    '18 Specialized Epic 29", Vassago Verhauen SS 29", '13 Santa Cruz Solo 27.5", XC, AM, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Yeah I've been twiddling my thumbs forever waiting for Trek to get their sh!t together and put the XR4/SE4 on their site. Good news is a few people are reporting that they are in shops with updated graphics. You'll notice two different graphics in the product photos. Also, the price has dropped on the 2.4's to $55.

The sizes and new photos were added a couple of days ago so I assume we'll finally be able to give Trek money pretty soon.

EXORCIZE
    Quote Originally Posted by ARandomBiker View Post
    One thing I do find very interesting (maybe not in a good way) is if you look at the Chupa page, on the weights and specs link, Trek claims the weight is 850g... doing the same for the XR4 3.0, it's claimed weight is 790.
    Claimed weight is 920 for the SE4.
    You see weights listed for XR4 and SE4 3.0? I see the 790/920 #s but no width listed, and sounds like 2.3 #s.
    2017 Diamondback Haanjo
    2016 Pivot 429T
    2011 Kona Unit

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I've had a 2.4 XR4 TE on order for about 4 or 5 months. Never seem to be in stock.
    Tallboy 3.1
    OG Ripley v2

MTB B'dos
    I think right now they're just real on the site, but dealers may not have been updated to their existence and definitely not in stock anywhere, most likely later on in the year you'll find them or early next year. Going from past Bontrager experience, they should be some fairly decent tyres, as an interim if it were me, I'd be going with the Maxxis Rekon+ rear/DHR2 or DHF 2.8" front.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??

Always in the wrong gear
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryder1 View Post
    You see weights listed for XR4 and SE4 3.0? I see the 790/920 #s but no width listed, and sounds like 2.3 #s.
    I guess thatís possible, but when you click the weights and specs link from the 3.0 product page, it takes you to the line on the master list, which is at a different place than the 2.3, one of them is also listed with Bontrager in front of the ĎTeam Issueí name.

I donít know. Itís honestly one of the things in the bike industry that drives me ABSOLUTELY insane, companies put out a product and donít bother to accurately describe it, if they describe it at all.
    Donít modify the trail to match your skills, modify your skills to match the trails.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I spoke with Trek about the XR 29x2.4 about a week ago, they said they would not have more stocked until 11/20 due to "production issues".

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx View Post
    I think right now they're just real on the site, but dealers may not have been updated to their existence and definitely not in stock anywhere, most likely later on in the year you'll find them or early next year. Going from past Bontrager experience, they should be some fairly decent tyres, as an interim if it were me, I'd be going with the Maxxis Rekon+ rear/DHR2 or DHF 2.8" front.
    I ordered 2 of the Rekon+ tires with SilkShield for my 27.5+. Should be here tomorrow. I have issues with the DHF -- that dead spot between the center and edge knobs gives me grief. The Rekon tread is very similar to the XR4 and fills in that dead spot.

Wonder what's going on with their tire production. They are putting Nobby Nics on their new plus bikes right now.

MTB B'dos
    Thanks for the heads up, didn't know that the SS had been put into production already - heard they were going to soon. With that extra protection from the SS, those Rekons should be plenty tough. I don't find I have that issue with the DHF, HR2, yes a bit on a rim wider than 25mm, but not the DHF, it's my fav front tyre besides an On One Chunky Monkey, actually run a 29x3" DHF on the front of my rigid with 2.8" Rekon on the rear, love the combo.

Quote Originally Posted by TenBeers View Post
    I ordered 2 of the Rekon+ tires with SilkShield for my 27.5+. Should be here tomorrow. I have issues with the DHF -- that dead spot between the center and edge knobs gives me grief. The Rekon tread is very similar to the XR4 and fills in that dead spot.

Wonder what's going on with their tire production. They are putting Nobby Nics on their new plus bikes right now.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    So just one ride on the Rekon+ 2.8's, but first impressions: They are slower rolling than Chupas but have tons more bite and grip on the local chunkier terrain. There's a somewhat more vague feeling on hardpack -- still grippy, but just a little vague. Chupas have them beat there, but that's not where I was looking for more grip. The 3C compound is sticky, we'll see how they hold up over time. The SilkShield layer makes them a bit thicker, heavier and less supple than Chupas. One went on easy with a floor pump (using Industry Nine Backcountry 450 wheels) but slowly lost pressure until I got that first ride on it, other was a PITA to get to seat but no loss of pressure. Seems like they like to be run at slightly higher pressure than the Chupas, 18 psi rear and 17 psi front for me seems about right, I run the Chupas 1 psi lower.

Overall, happy so far with the purchase but still getting used to the additional grip. If Bontrager ever gets the 29+ 3.0 XR4's out, I will probably get one for the front of the Stache and keep running a Chupa on the rear. Should be a wicked combo.

jct
    mtbr member
    can't wait for these!!!
    i will not yield to DH traffic.

mtbr member
    I as at the LBS the other day and the 2018 Trek 27.5+bikes were equipped with Schwalbe tires...
    Do the math.

RAKC Industries
    Jan 2017
    Yeap, Trek has done that in the past plenty. Takes a bit for their tires to catch up for new wheel sizes that arent "skinny". Was the same way when they released the Farley at first. Forget the tires it had.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Life on a bike doesn't begin till the sun goes down.

mtbr member
    Got tired of waiting for the XR4 27.5+ tires. I went ahead and got DHF/DHR II to replace my Chupa's. Rode them for a few weeks and felt a bit slower. I decided to get a Rekon for the rear to replace the DHR II. Lighter tire that is slightly less aggressive but still seems aggressive enough with less rolling resistance. LBS where I bought the Fuel put it on (tubeless) and commented that the Rekon looked basically the same as the XR4. I will keep the DHF on the front with the Rekon on the back. Probably doing the first ride with this set up on Sunday. I'll see what difference this makes and adjust accordingly. 13 front 15 rear. Could possibly switch the front to Rekon also but I really like the bite of the DHF climbing and many folks say the DHF is their favorite front tire. Many also run the DHF/Rekon as their setup. If Bontrager would have released inventory sooner I might have been on them.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by RAKC Ind View Post
    Yeap, Trek has done that in the past plenty. Takes a bit for their tires to catch up for new wheel sizes that arent "skinny". Was the same way when they released the Farley at first. Forget the tires it had.

My Farley 6 had 45 North Husker Du's.
    I'd be interested in some SE 4's in 2.8 if they're taller than the Chupas.

mtbr member

Hodag.

They are on my Farley.

Bontrager stuff needs to be available. It's seriously good stuff, but if you can't buy it, what does it matter if it's excellent?!

RAKC Industries
    Jan 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by DethWshBkr View Post
    Hodag.

They are on my Farley.

Bontrager stuff needs to be available. It's seriously good stuff, but if you can't buy it, what does it matter if it's excellent?!
    Hodags are Bontrager, the first release farleys also had husker du (posted above).

Hodag would be good but its heavy and 60 tpi for the price.

Life on a bike doesn't begin till the sun goes down.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011

This is a production issue, I've been waiting on a 29er XR4 2.4 TE since spring and the date keeps getting pushed back.
    Tallboy 3.1
    OG Ripley v2

mtbr member
    What's yeap? Is it yep with a southern drawl?
    Do the math.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Search Trek Super Store San Diego. They have the XR4 TE 2.4 in stock.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoTone View Post
    This is a production issue, I've been waiting on a 29er XR4 2.4 TE since spring and the date keeps getting pushed back.
    Yes, Trek Superstore had them in stock. I ordered a 29 X 2.4" XR4 Team Issue an an SE4 2.4" Team Issue on Cyber Monday with 20% off and free shipping. I believe they shipped from the Trek warehouse though. They had 2 different XR4 2.4" Team issues on their site so I took the sku# and did a chat with Trek support . Same tire but updated sidewall treatment an what was strange the older version was $14 more on their site. The SE4 list price is $74.99. I got the pair for $103 shipped
    2013 Banshee Spitfire V2 650b

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Just noticed Trek Superstore has the 27.5 X 2.8" XR4 Team issue and 2.8" SE4 team issue listed as available. $95 and $105 respectively. Yikes!

Trek support said last week of January some 29" X 2.6" tires will be available. Me want!
    2013 Banshee Spitfire V2 650b

This place needs an enema
    29 x 3 SE4 and XR4 are due in this week.

KVV
    mtbr member
    May 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee View Post
    29 x 3 SE4 and XR4 are due in this week.
    Did they appear?

Quote Originally Posted by KVV View Post
    Did they appear?

Nope. ETA's pushed back to mid-Feb.

KVV
    mtbr member
    May 2017
    Probably like many of you I'm waiting for XR4 29x3. May I ask what are you expecting from it?

I'm building 29+ for bikepacking and originally ordered Bonboloni rear and Chupacabra front. Clearance in the rear is tight and I expected Bomboloni to be a bit narrower. The casing was indeed narrower but side knobs stick out so don't save much (and have lesser volume, too). But Bomboloni wobbled like crazy so I returned it. Moved Chupacabra to the rear and got DHF for the front.

Unlike previous Minion experience, DHF 29x3 is true to size and weight. Mine weights 1100g on the digital scale (no kidding). I don't feel any abnormal rolling resistance from the front. The traction is unquestionable and ride quality is classic.

Now XR4 plus. I've seen 27.5x2.8 in the store. The tread is deep and aggressive, at least like in 2.4. I have doubts it'll roll significantly better than Minions in the rear, and I doubt it'll grip better in the front. Even if they will be right in volume and size, there is no advantage against Minions anymore (more expensive, too). So why XR4 then?

I still think I can match XR4 rear with DHF front for winter trails and XR4 front with Chupacabra for summer. But I doubt it'll provide more benefits than just running Minions.

I kind of want XR3 plus, or lighter / less aggressive XR4 in the plus size. Do you agree?

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    29x2.6 XR4's in stock on trekbikes.com

mtbr member
    Any word on availability of 29 x 3 SE4 and XR4?

Quote Originally Posted by calzonical View Post

Supposed to be in warehouses this Monday, then to dealers by ~Weds.

These got bumped back to a March 12 ETA as of this AM.

XR-4 and SE-4 29 x 3.0 ETA is now 3/19.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    XR-4 and SE-4 29 x 3.0 ETA is now 3/19.
    And?

Quote Originally Posted by Nurse Ben View Post
    And?

XR-4's in 29 x 2.6 and 3.0 shipped to me from Trek today. Will have them in hand on Tuesday.

No SE-4's yet.

XR-4's in 29 x 2.6 and 29 x 3.0 landed here today.

SE-4's expected next week.

Always in the wrong gear
    XR-4's in 29 x 2.6 and 29 x 3.0 landed here today.

SE-4's expected next week.
    Pics or it didn't happen.

Pics or it didn't happen.

3.0 on my personal bike. Shipped out 6 others today, as well as 2 x 2.6's -- perhaps they will chime in when they get them mounted.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Bontrager XR4 or SE4 in Plus Sizes?-img_1351.jpg  

MSH
    mtbr member
    ...Shipped out 6 others today...
    do you have any left for sale?

jct
    mtbr member
    dang that looks beefy!
    i will not yield to DH traffic.

Quote Originally Posted by MSH View Post
    do you have any left for sale?

Si, and more en route.

Always in the wrong gear
    3.0 on my personal bike. Shipped out 6 others today, as well as 2 x 2.6's -- perhaps they will chime in when they get them mounted.
    To quote Matthew McConaughey: Alright, Alright, Alright.

Iím going to (im)patiently wait for a ride report, but Iím damned excited about these.

Any weight and dimensions by chance?

Iím going to (im)patiently wait for a ride report, but Iím damned excited about these.

72mm casing, 75mm knob width, on a 40mm (internal) rim @ 12psi. That's before riding/stretching.

72mm casing, 75mm knob width, on a 40mm (internal) rim @ 12psi. That's before riding/stretching.

One ~20 mile ride and ~36 hours installed, these numbers have not changed.

Compared to the 3.0 DHF I took off the bike after the last ~year in constant use, with the XR-4 I noticed...

...honestly...

...nothing.

Only one ride, but if I closed my eyes (not really in the habit of doing that...) I can't say I noticed any difference.

KVV
    mtbr member
    May 2017
    Compared to the 3.0 DHF I took off the bike after the last ~year in constant use, with the XR-4 I noticed...

...honestly...

...nothing.

Only one ride, but if I closed my eyes (not really in the habit of doing that...) I can't say I noticed any difference.
    Thank you mikesee. What do you use on the rear? Do you want to try XR4 on the rear?

Also if it's taller than Chupacabra, it simply won't fit my bike, considering the thread is already 75mm wide.

Quote Originally Posted by KVV View Post
    Thank you mikesee. What do you use on the rear? Do you want to try XR4 on the rear?

Also if it's taller than Chupacabra, it simply won't fit my bike, considering the thread is already 75mm wide.

i run the chupa/xr-2 out back.

might run the xr-4 out back at some point. not a huge priority.

chupa is still the largest casing of all 29+ tires. except maybe knard -- but with that throwaway papier mache casing i have no interest in knard.

MSH
    mtbr member
    Received mine from Mike a few hours ago. Thanks Mike for the quick ship!

For those curious about weight....1138g on my scale
    I've been running Chupas on my 29+ wheelset on my Kona Wozo for the past year and I love them, but when things start to get blown out and dry here on Front Range this XR4 is going to keep things hard charging. The Chupa on the front would get overwhelmed and a bit sketch at times in those conditions. Will keep the Chupas/XR2's on the rear for sure. This is on a i35 rim...

Bontrager XR4 or SE4 in Plus Sizes?-xr4-3.0-i35.jpg

mtbr member
    Mar 2015

I've been running Chupas on my 29+ wheelset on my Kona Wozo for the past year and I love them, but when things start to get blown out and dry here on Front Range this XR4 is going to keep things hard charging. The Chupa on the front would get overwhelmed and a bit sketch at times in those conditions. Will keep the Chupas/XR2's on the rear for sure. This is on a i35 rim...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	XR4 3.0 on i35.jpg 
Views:	228 
Size:	104.6 KB 
ID:	1191414
    Tire looks great! Did you notice if it is the same height as the chupa?

MSH
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AspiringXCGuy View Post
    ...Did you notice if it is the same height as the chupa?
    Didn't really do the eyeball test on height. I will say (as Mike pretty much indicates above) the casing width definitely appears larger on the Chupa...no doubt there and easy to see. I don't have a set of calipers to measure the difference but maybe 3-4mm narrower?? I have it set up at 18psi to stretch out, so see how that goes and after couple rides on it. I'll try to get back out to garage and pull the front wheel off and do a side by side with the Chupa rear to see the height difference

MSH
    mtbr member
    So on the height question...my well worn Chupa rear on i35 is roughly 30"/762mm. The XR4 is roughly 30.25"/768mm on the same rim. I assume with a brand new Chupa/XR2 they would be darn close

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    So on the height question...my well worn Chupa rear on i35 is roughly 30"/762mm. The XR4 is roughly 30.25"/768mm on the same rim. I assume with a brand new Chupa/XR2 they would be darn close
    Thanks for that! Seems like it is the same diameter or slightly more than the minion 29x3. Was hoping it'd come in a bit shorter for the Fox 34 crowd but I ordered one anyway because it looks too awesome.

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    I have a just bought a set of wtb asym i35 29" wheels for my farley 9. I was thinking of putting the new bonty xr4 3.0 tires on. I usually run 27.5 fat hodag on the front and maxxis dhr on the rear. Will the 3 inch tires be to big for a i35 rim. If so I guess a 2.8 would maybe be better. I saw at the LBS today that the new FS stache has the tires on a duroc 40 rims stock.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by CrLapp View Post
    I have a just bought a set of wtb asym i35 29" wheels for my farley 9. I was thinking of putting the new bonty xr4 3.0 tires on. I usually run 27.5 fat hodag on the front and maxxis dhr on the rear. Will the 3 inch tires be to big for a i35 rim. If so I guess a 2.8 would maybe be better. I saw at the LBS today that the new FS stache has the tires on a duroc 40 rims stock.
    The Duroc 40 rim is 36mm internally, so Trek seems to think it will be OK.

I am putting an XR4 29x3.0 on an i35 rim whenever I finally get it. I anticipate no problems. I decided on 35mm so that I could try out 2.6-3.0 and settle on whatever I ultimately prefer. 35mm is the biggest size I'd put a 2.6 on so I think it's the ideal pick for versatility.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by CrLapp View Post
    I run 29x3 chupacabras on the same rim with great results.

Quote Originally Posted by amadkins View Post
    I run 29x3 chupacabras on the same rim with great results.

Chupa's work great on i35's because they have no edge knobs. Ditto Ranger, Chronicle, Knard, and other 3" tires with no real edge knobs.

I've come to prefer (key word -- not a mandate!) rims of 40mm or greater for 3" tires with edge knobs -- like DHF, DHR, Surly Dirt Wizard, and now XR-4.

Always in the wrong gear

...honestly...

...nothing.

So hypothetically- you rip a huge gash in the XR4 currently mounted, and upon returning to the shop, there is a brand new Minion 3C 120tpi, and a brand new XR4 lying side by side on the bench.

Which goes on, and why?

So hypothetically- you rip a huge gash in the XR4 currently mounted, and upon returning to the shop, there is a brand new Minion 3C 120tpi, and a brand new XR4 lying side by side on the bench.

Which goes on, and why?

Probably the XR-4. I already know the Minion is terrifying on wet rock and roots, where the XR-4 still has a chance to impress.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	XR4 3.0 on i35.jpg 
Views:	228 
Size:	104.6 KB 
ID:	1191414
    Do you run 29+ front and rear on a Wozo? What BB height do you get and for what fork travel?
    I am considering another wheelset for mine and I thought I would get a b+ at the rear and 29+ up front with a 120mm Mastodon.

MSH
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyMTB.fr View Post
    Do you run 29+ front and rear on a Wozo? What BB height do you get and for what fork travel?
    I am considering another wheelset for mine and I thought I would get a b+ at the rear and 29+ up front with a 120mm Mastodon.
    29+ front and rear...
    New XR4 front
    50%-ish worn Chupa rear
    130mm Mastodon Pro STD
    WTB i35s

with the above in mind i'm getting 12.8125"/325mm BB
    height, so with a brand new Chupa maybe ever so slightly higher

Bontrager XR4 or SE4 in Plus Sizes?-img_0208.jpg

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Nice, thanks for the feedback MSH!

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Hey everyone, 1st post on this thread. I just got a pair of the XR4s in 29x2.6 in Moab at Pioson Spider and mounted them on DT Swiss XM 481 rims and they are a true 2.6. Maybe a hair over knob to knob. Ran them at 16 and 17lbs on the Hymasa Ahab loop and they were incredible. Rode from town and back and they rolled really well on the pavement too. Try em you will like them.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Hi, Anyone know the overall outer diameter of the Bontrager XR4 29x2.6 ? Thanks

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    29.5in/749.3mm

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Do the 29x3.0 fit a Fox 36 27.5+ ?