Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    mtbr member
    My Se4 is still going strong. Outer lugs are starting to undercut some and center tread is showing wear but its been flawless. I've hit some pretty silly stuff with it expecting a flat and none.

I put a XR4 on the front awhile back as well. Its been really good and only pushed to its absolute limits does it start letting loose. Keep in mind I had a Magic Mary on before this which had a lot bigger and deeper lugs.
    I like to fart when I'm in front of you on a climb

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Does anyone have any specifics on the aforementioned issue with the 2.55? I just mounted a 29 x 2.55 SE4 Team Issue to the front of my Enduro 29 for a week-long bike trip and don't want to discover the Issue first hand. I do have two rides on the tire and the initial impressions are good.

I've been mostly running the Specialized Butcher 2.3 up front but have used a ton of tires over the years. Firstly, and not surprisingly, this thing is BIG. Initially I was like, "get that freaky thing off my bike" but decided to give it a try on some wet limestone trails ...a local spot that people avoid when wet. I was very impressed with the 2.55 while the Specialized Purgatory 2.3 out back was a disaster...sliding all over the place. Set a PR on a 1.5 hour loop, but also feeling fit at the moment so who knows.

Word went out that the now-dry rain had created a hero-dirt situation on the local in-town XC-racer boy trails so I took the Six inch travel bike with the huge -by my standards --tire out to see how it handled zillions of perfectly shaped and smooth turns. This 2.55 leans way the bleep over is all I can say...put up a top 7 Strava time on an ill suited sled but, like I said I'm feeling fit ...but I'm sure I was feeling fit at least once in the prior 97 times I've nru Strava around that loop so maybe there is no issue with the tire.

It had been 4 weeks since I had ridden that bike so I really can't comment on whether I felt the weight or lack of rolling resistance.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    [QUOTE=GlazedHam;13029692]Does anyone have any specifics on the aforementioned issue with the 2.55? I just mounted a 29 x 2.55 SE4 Team Issue to the front of my Enduro 29

Got any pics of that beast? Didn't know they even existed!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Bontrager XR4 New Tread Pattern?-img_1804.jpg

[QUOTE=rusty904;13029705]
    Quote Originally Posted by GlazedHam View Post
    Does anyone have any specifics on the aforementioned issue with the 2.55? I just mounted a 29 x 2.55 SE4 Team Issue to the front of my Enduro 29

Got any pics of that beast? Didn't know they even existed!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Bontrager XR4 New Tread Pattern?-img_1804.jpg  

mtbr member
    AFAIK, 2.55 wide XR4 Team Issue tires were a marking error that were sold at a discount to retailers by Trek. They're actually the same as the 2.4 XR4s.
    Do the math.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Lone Rager View Post
    AFAIK, 2.55 wide XR4 Team Issue tires were a marking error that were sold at a discount to retailers by Trek. They're actually the same as the 2.4 XR4s.
    Correct.

mtbr member
    I still have my SE4 on and its pretty beat with a ton of miles on it. Hit the local bike park(Blue mountain) Saturday with it thinking that would kill it. It rained a few hours before some it was wet when I got there and the SE4 even with the sipes worn out was doing well. Rode all day as it dried out at spots but rocks, roots, drops and jump lines it never let me down. End of the day it survived 25 miles of blue and black trails in a NE bikepark with zero issues. Seriously impressed with this casing and how the tire held up.

I have another here already waiting to go on and picked up a SE5 to try in front once my current Magic Mary finally wears out.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Just mounted up a 2.35 XR4 team issue on an Ibis 942 rim, and man was it brutal to get on, so tight. Had to soak it in hot water and then soap it up to get it on the rim. Anyone else have this problem? I've had Maxxis and Schwalbe tires in the past and haven't had this kind of struggle, but it is the first time I've mounted a tire onto this rim.

Looks great, looking forward to riding it tomorrow.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Yes, similar experience for me with the Ibis 941. Talk about a bear to remove, as well. Turned out having the wheel in a hot car (unintentionally) made it a lot easier, but still a bit of a wrestling match.

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    I have Xr4 and Xr3 2.4's and didn't have a problem getting them onto WTB i35 asym's. They were snug but I still got them on by hand without much fuss.

mtbr member
    I've mounted XR4 and SE4 on Trail 295's and DT EX471s with no issues. Mounted the same as anything else IMHO.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    So it seems the trick with asymetrical rims like the 942 is that you have to mount the wide side first. I found this out because the first ride on the XR4 I sliced it bad enough to throw it away, and then had the same problem mounting the Hans Dampf I bought to replace it. Internet search led me to a helpful MTBR thread about mounting tires on an Ibis wide rim.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I really like the change and the larger size. I have a pair of 2.4 SE4 now with another SE3 and my first new size XR4 on order.

What stands out with the SE4s in 2.4 is still feeling very fast like past 3 and 4 models but traction and predictability I've always like with some Maxxis and Hans Dampf tires.

It is hard to tell if feels faster really is faster or is easier rolling but back to back riding with with the old "4" and new "4" made it obvious I can lean and push front of the bike with more confidence. I love SE3s as a best of breed but a 2.4 SE4 in back is way more of a digger for climbs in crappy stuff. I have to think all the new 4 treads models will be good.

Confession: I'm sure somewhere in years of posts here are negative words about Bontrager and Trek stuff but all the stuff I've had in recent years has been really good. It's not just cheap OEM stuff. I've happily used the tires, lights, bars and stems on non-Trek bikes.
    ƃuoɹʍ llɐ ʇno əɯɐɔ ʇɐɥʇ

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bitflogger View Post

Confession: I'm sure somewhere in years of posts here are negative words about Bontrager and Trek stuff but all the stuff I've had in recent years has been really good. It's not just cheap OEM stuff. I've happily used the tires, lights, bars and stems on non-Trek bikes.
    I was told by a local enduro racer to try their tires after blowing yet another hole through a big name tire companies tire. I've had nothing but good luck with them so far. Recently got a pair of Rhythm shoes to replace my Shimano M200s and they are great!

mtbr member
    I can't understand why someone would NOT try ANYTHING Brontrager.

You buy it, you ride it for 30 days. EVEN TIRES. You don't like it - you return it!
    WHO gives you a 30 day "ride it and like it or return it" guarantee on TIRES??
    "Go soothingly in the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon"

EXORCIZE
    Quote Originally Posted by DethWshBkr View Post
    I can't understand why someone would NOT try ANYTHING Brontrager.
    Maybe I'm stupid, but I can't figure out how to buy this tire. Is the new tread pattern available? I want the Expert as a front 29er tire - I see Model # 11643 in a 2.3 but that appears to be the old tread pattern, plus its sold out on Trek's website. Then there's Model # 13585, which I'm pretty sure is the new pattern. [And what is up with using five-digit Model #s? Quaint midwestern advertising or something?] When I click on "weights and specifications" link, I get a new web window with all the allure of a Russian warehouse, and lists two different 29ers with two different weights, and nothing else that distinguishes the two (seriously?), except that they have different "part numbers" - neither of which is the Model #. Apparently there are model numbers and part numbers (???). And unlike previous XR tires which seemed to be available in an astonishing array of sizes, TPI, etc. (major plus!!!), this one only appears to come (for 29ers) in 2.4, and is...sold out. And every time I go to a store, I see the old tread pattern and never the new tread pattern. So I give up and buy Maxxis or Specialized tires because IT'S EASY BECAUSE IT'S 2017. Click, click, done.

Trek's website is, as always, a disaster, they're stuff always seems sold out, isn't widely distributed, and it can be tricky to figure out which tread pattern is old or new. Lastly, they announced a 2.55 a year ago, then it was supposedly "postponed" and now it appears to have been a "marketing error." I actually bought a frame partially based on the promised 2.55. Not pleased with Bontrager! I've been trying to buy my first Bontrager tire for awhile now, but they're not making it easy.
    2017 Diamondback Haanjo
    2016 Pivot 429T
    2011 Kona Unit

mtbr member
    Totally agree about Trek's website and product info therein...and they always seem to be out of the thing I want.
    Do the math.

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    It seems like trek is 99% concerned with making enough tires for their own bikes and 1% concerned with off the shelf sales. It's like they don't want to buy extra cause they're afraid they won't sell. Finding their tires at dealers has always been a pain in the ass. Never have problems finding specialized tires locally.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I'm still running that SE4 29x2.55/2.4 pictured on the Enduro 29 earlier in this thread. Strava is showing 635 miles without issue and I actually run a different front tire for the lesser ttails. I have another one just like it biding it's time. Meanwhile, I've added the XR3 Team Issue in the rear also without issue. I bought the XR3 for an XC race and just left it on because I think the 120 TPI is a difference maker.

As for buying the tires, yes it's spotty st best. The dealer-only Trek site shows bunches of models but most/many out of stock. And the sticker price is pretty steep.

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    Treks website is a disaster. However I have bought 3 different bonty tires in the past year by getting my Lbs to order them for me. No problems at getting them, took a few days for my xr4s and 2 weeks for an xr3.
    Also if you're buying these tires get the team issues, much better rubber compounds for only a few dollars more.

mtbr member
    I read somewhere that there was "some kind of disaster" at the plant where the tires are manufactured. Patience. They're just bicycle tires.
    Expensive bicycle tires, though.
    Some of those already high at $70-75 prices were up to $86 last time I looked, and significant discounts are few and far between. Good thing tires last a looong time where I live...

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Just jumping in on this thread because I've been trying to track down these tires as well.

Totally agree, treks website sucks. And the 29x2.4 version of the team tire is sold out everywhere. My local trek dealer, which is a solid shop, can't get any either. Not sure why trek makes it so hard to research a product and then give them my money. Actually, I do know why. Because they're a huge company and direct sales to people like us is not something they care about. Too bad really. Come on trek, get with it. Because like said above, I'll just spend money on another brand.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by deserat View Post
    Just jumping in on this thread because I've been trying to track down these tires as well.

Totally agree, treks website sucks. And the 29x2.4 version of the team tire is sold out everywhere. My local trek dealer, which is a solid shop, can't get any either. Not sure why trek makes it so hard to research a product and then give them my money. Actually, I do know why. Because they're a huge company and direct sales to people like us is not something they care about. Too bad really. Come on trek, get with it. Because like said above, I'll just spend money on another brand.
    The web site has had old and new versions and for the most part new not available.

Week before last my pref LBS - Machinery Row - ordered for me and had a 29x2.3 SE3 and 29x2.4 SE4 in 3 days.

At same time the two company owned Trek Store locations in the metro area were a combination of daft and indifferent to someone wanted any of the new size or SE versions.

I insisted on a SE3 for rear and said I'd take XR or SE for front.

29x2.3 SE3 and 29x2.4 SE4 are very much worth trying to get.
    ƃuoɹʍ llɐ ʇno əɯɐɔ ʇɐɥʇ

EXORCIZE
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryder1 View Post
    Maybe I'm stupid, but [...].
    I was prepared to catch some flack for my attitude, but I guess I'm not alone!
    2017 Diamondback Haanjo
    2016 Pivot 429T
    2011 Kona Unit

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Bontrager XR4 New Tread Pattern?

More time including different conditions and terrain have me more at peace with the wait time for the 29x2.4 SE4s.
    ƃuoɹʍ llɐ ʇno əɯɐɔ ʇɐɥʇ

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    More time including different conditions and terrain have me more at peace with the wait time for the 29x2.4 SE4s.
    I said it before and I'll say it again , Bontrager are the best tires you can buy. They can be hard to get sometimes, I hear the hold up is a production change. I also heard about some type of fire in the plant. Hopefully if there is a production change then I'll change the compound too much . I like the team issue Xr4 on the front and the team issue xr3 on rear. I also like the new labeling on the Xr4. They look much better !!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by dgw7000 View Post
    I said it before and I'll say it again , Bontrager are the best tires you can buy. They can be hard to get sometimes, I hear the hold up is a production change. I also heard about some type of fire in the plant. Hopefully if there is a production change then I'll change the compound too much . I like the team issue Xr4 on the front and the team issue xr3 on rear. I also like the new labeling on the Xr4. They look much better !!
    I was able to get tires from my favorite LBS recently.

I try to limit shop talk with a friend who is in Bontrager product management. He said most recent or current shortages are just a time of year thing.

The SE3 and new type SE4 remain favorites. I can't tell the weight difference when riding but I'm not tearing SE tires like I did XR.

After 5-6 weeks with 2.4 SE4s I still can only say good about them. Right now my wife's got those on front and I have them front and rear. She's got SE3 on rear. SE3 feels faster on pavement to trailhead but SE4 doesn't feel slow.

If these are not among the best they sure have high quantities of things I find very important - predictable, they hold leaned over, braking or digging in on a climb.
    ƃuoɹʍ llɐ ʇno əɯɐɔ ʇɐɥʇ

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Getting impatient waiting for these damn things! The new XR4 and SE4 are some of my favorite tires. The casing is the best and they are just about the right mix of rolling speed and grip for a front tire.

I don't care as much for the XR3 tread and I think it could use a re-design with the same style casing as the 4. Also, Bonty needs to make a semi slick a la the rock razor, slaughter, etc.

On a side note, the two Trek stores in my area never spec bontrager tires. I'm not sure if its the owner's prejudice or less competitive pricing but it's inconvenient. They both stock continental MTB tires for some reason.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by rusty904 View Post
    Getting impatient waiting for these damn things! The new XR4 and SE4 are some of my favorite tires. The casing is the best and they are just about the right mix of rolling speed and grip for a front tire.

I don't care as much for the XR3 tread and I think it could use a re-design with the same style casing as the 4. Also, Bonty needs to make a semi slick a la the rock razor, slaughter, etc.

On a side note, the two Trek stores in my area never spec bontrager tires. I'm not sure if its the owner's prejudice or less competitive pricing but it's inconvenient. They both stock continental MTB tires for some reason.
    I just fount one local, the last one. It's mounted to my new Light Bicycles carbon rim Pike 2018 fork. Spot Mayham 29er great new bike by the way!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Bontrager XR4 New Tread Pattern?-img_1777-1-.jpg  

Bontrager XR4 New Tread Pattern?-p1070783.jpg  

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rusty904 View Post
    Trek stores baffle me as well. My local ones don't stock Bontrager sealant. That's like one of the best sealants on the market. They never have it. http://forums.mtbr.com/images/smilies/skep.gif

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Schulze View Post
    Trek stores baffle me as well. My local ones don't stock Bontrager sealant. That's like one of the best sealants on the market. They never have it. http://forums.mtbr.com/images/smilies/skep.gif
    Our two Trek Store locations are corporate owned and I'm quite sure some are franchises.

Most local MTB riders in the know try to avoid them or consider their purpose is just to check out bikes. They don't support trail building the way the best shops do. They have their own clubs that don't support trail work and compete with the groups that do. They're staffed heavily with racers who often give poor advice that assumes everyone is an aspiring racer.

I'm sure there are exceptions but here the best friends to trails, best stocked and most friendly to everyone are a few independent bike shops. My favorite is a Trek dealer and sold my SE tires when the Trek Store questioned why an amateur needed anything more than the XR3 they stock.
    ƃuoɹʍ llɐ ʇno əɯɐɔ ʇɐɥʇ

mtbr member
    My favorite is a Trek dealer and sold my SE tires when the Trek Store questioned why an amateur needed anything more than the XR3 they stock.
    That is comedy gold! [just put an SE4 on the rear of one of my bikes]

connisseur
    Still waiting on XR4 in 29x2.4, still shows out of stock online. Anyone know where I can find these?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Tickle View Post
    Still waiting on XR4 in 29x2.4, still shows out of stock online. Anyone know where I can find these?
    My favored LBS did special order (won't stock until older stuff gone) SE4s in the time I've read you can't get XR4. I've had XRs cut in circumstances that have not cut SE3 and SE4.

I started with the new larger and new pattern SE4s in June. My wife late July. We love these tires.
    ƃuoɹʍ llɐ ʇno əɯɐɔ ʇɐɥʇ

connisseur
    Those aren't available online either, what's the diff between XR4 and SE4's? Same tread pattern??

Bout ready to buy some more Maxxis tires currently running DHF/Aggressor combo looking for something lighter tho maybe Ardent 2.4/Ikon 2.35 combo

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Those aren't available online either, what's the diff between XR4 and SE4's? Same tread pattern??

Bout ready to buy some more Maxxis tires currently running DHF/Aggressor combo looking for something lighter tho maybe Ardent 2.4/Ikon 2.35 combo
    SE models have a third strip of fabric for extra protection that goes under tread vs just reinforced sidewalls. Their marketing did or might still have stuff that says the 3 strips make them more supple than other protection type tires.

FWIW, my favored dealer looks at his ordering system and is usually close if not on regarding duration of back orders. The Trek site live chat has also informed me when I might see back ordered items.

Ardents are great but I've not had SE Bontragers slice the way I've had Ardents and others slice yet they're pretty darn zippy and predictable so I'm sticking with them for now. YMMV, but most of my riding is divided between a place that's pretty much greased sharp rock and another that's 8 miles of fast expertly carved berms, rollers and jumps. That setup covers both.
    ƃuoɹʍ llɐ ʇno əɯɐɔ ʇɐɥʇ

connisseur
    Ok thx for the info, guess I'm not buying either tho unless I find a shop that has it in stock.

Not sure what your saying about back orders tho, do you know when either model will be available?

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Both tires are scheduled to be available on 9/25.

mtbr member
    At the LBS I just saw some new '18 Fuel EXs equipped with the new 2.4 XR4 Team Issue tires. They look good. I want.
    Do the math.

mtbr member
    So XR4 rear but what up front, SE4?

I Cycle so I don't choke people!

Sent from the Beer Cloud
    "I cycle so I don't choke People"
    Big Wheel Racing Europe
    It's Our Turn!
    Team RWB
    http://www.teamrwb.org

connisseur
    I was thinking for the front but might buy a pair for front/rear. Hopefully they are available at the end of the month as posted above, were supposed to be available at the end of August too

mtbr member
    I run a Se5 in front with a Se4 in back currently. I've run the Magic mary with a Se4 in back previously with good results.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    I've been running the XR4/XR3 combo all season and have been pretty happy with it. I'm curious about how the Maxxis Forekaster would compare. Any thoughts?

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I have SE4s front and rear right now, but am going back to XR4s and just picked uo a pair. The SEs are really good, but I never really had pro lems with XR durability. The best thing is that Trek dropped the MSRP from $75 to $55 on the Team Issue XRs. That makes them one of the best deals out there for a really good tire.

connisseur
    Did you use a local shop or find them online somewhere? Trek store still shows out of stock

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Did you use a local shop or find them online somewhere? Trek store still shows out of stock
    Local store. Several I was in got them in stock.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    anyone know when these will be available? Trek makes it impossible to buy any bontrager stuff. about to just go with Maxxis again because my rear tire is running really low.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    We're all pretty pissed about it. But it looks like they have been pushed back another couple weeks. Should be here by November.

mtbr member
    My friend has a brand new 29er one he just bought. Its the newest logo, like a grey colored one and the new tread pattern. Its not the white and red logo.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtrider76 View Post
    My friend has a brand new 29er one he just bought. Its the newest logo, like a grey colored one and the new tread pattern. Its not the white and red logo.
    Yes, they are now in and 787g each. 55 bucks!! I like the look!! 29er 35mm Derby rim, Sapim CX Ray spokes with Onyx hubs.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Bontrager XR4 New Tread Pattern?-p1070860.jpg  

Bontrager XR4 New Tread Pattern?-p1070839.jpg  

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by dgw7000 View Post
    Yes, they are now in and 787g each. 55 bucks!! I like the look!! 29er 35mm Derby rim, Sapim CX Ray spokes with Onyx hubs.
    Wow, where did you get those?

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by gfourth View Post
    Wow, where did you get those?
    Local bike shop in Pennsylvania.

mtbr member
    Nice

I Cycle so I don't choke people!

Sent from the Beer Cloud
    "I cycle so I don't choke People"
    Big Wheel Racing Europe
    It's Our Turn!
    Team RWB
    http://www.teamrwb.org

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by ZenkiS14 View Post
    We're all pretty pissed about it. But it looks like they have been pushed back another couple weeks. Should be here by November.
    Maybe the next shipment is coming in November, but the LBS's around here got them in. Mine with the silver labeling weighed 797g each. Amazing that both tires had the same weight within a gram.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Haymarket View Post
    Maybe the next shipment is coming in November, but the LBS's around here got them in. Mine with the silver labeling weighed 797g each. Amazing that both tires had the same weight within a gram.
    I just weighed the second one 789g. On the derby 35 mm rim this tire has some good girth, On the 30 mm extern carbon rim definitely a few millimeters Less.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Haymarket View Post
    Maybe the next shipment is coming in November, but the LBS's around here got them in.
    Glad you were able to get yours, already! LBS here has an available to order date of November 20(had no date when I checked a few weeks ago).

mtbr member
    May 2017

sold

Great tire gone off to another rider. Enjoy.
    Last edited by wallydog; 10-30-2017 at 09:34 AM. Reason: sold

mtbr member
    Trek website shows XR4 27.5 also in 2.6 and 2.8. 29 in 2.6 and 3.0. All out of stock. I haven't seen them mentioned here. Any idea when they might be coming? I'll try to stop by the lbs and inquire tomorrow if nobody has any info and update.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12