mtbr member
    Mar 2012

Bontrager Rhythm Elite 29er TLR Valve Stem Leak

I bought a 2010 Orbea Lanza with the bontrager rhythm elite 29er tlr wheelset from craigslist a few weeks ago. I'm in love with this bike, but have noticed that the front wheel has a very slow leak (loses ~10psi every 24 hrs). I'm a complete noob with tubeless tires, and hope someone smarter than me can figure out a solution.

First, the tire appears to be glued to the rim. I'm not sure if this is a "ghetto tubeless" setup or not, considering the wheel is supposedly tubeless ready. I put the wheel in my bathtub, and tiny bubbles slowly formed on the valve stem. I deflated the tire, tried to tighten the valve nut (by hand only), and reinflated. This seems to have slowed the leak a little bit, but it is still there. Any ideas?

Thanks!

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by dshack View Post
    I bought a 2010 Orbea Lanza with the bontrager rhythm elite 29er tlr wheelset from craigslist a few weeks ago. I'm in love with this bike, but have noticed that the front wheel has a very slow leak (loses ~10psi every 24 hrs). I'm a complete noob with tubeless tires, and hope someone smarter than me can figure out a solution.

First, the tire appears to be glued to the rim. I'm not sure if this is a "ghetto tubeless" setup or not, considering the wheel is supposedly tubeless ready. I put the wheel in my bathtub, and tiny bubbles slowly formed on the valve stem. I deflated the tire, tried to tighten the valve nut (by hand only), and reinflated. This seems to have slowed the leak a little bit, but it is still there. Any ideas?

Thanks!
    Bubbles at the base of the valve stem or near the top? The valve core is removable and may be slightly loose.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    If I remember correctly, the bubbles were forming just above the lock nut that tightens onto the rim surface. I will double check tonight.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    UPDATE: It appears that tightening the stem fixed the leak at the stem. But, I found another leak where the tire meets the rim. What should I do to fix this leak? Do I just put some additional Stan's Sealant in the tire?

Thanks again!