mtbr member

Bontrager Revolt Super X or Maxxis Crossmarks

Good day Folks:

I have a Fuel 98 and have been racing with it for 7 years. On most races I use the Bontrager Revolt Super X (with tubes) and they are very fast.

To try something different I bought a set of SB8's but both were defective and I returned them before riding with them. . Instead I picked up a pair of Maxxis Crossmarks 2.1's (with tubes). They feel good in bumps but slower on the fast trac compared with the Revolts.

Wondering what you guys think as a comparision. I have a big 50K race coming up and not sure whether to use the new Crossmarks or go back to the Revolt Super X's.

OR.... how about the Cross Mark in the rear and the Super X on the front?????

Thnxs for any opinions.

mtbr member
    OK, the weather forcast has changed towards a wet race.

My choice now would be between the Crossmarks or a set of Panaracer fire pros.

Lets not everyone speak at once...lol

mtbr member
    I've got no experience with the Bonty or Panaracer. I did ride a Crossmark UST 2.1 last year as a rear and wasn't very impressed with its traction even in dry conditions. I had no mud races or rides, but I imagine that I would have been even less impressed. I'm contemplating using it for a front tire for a long race later this summer that is mostly dirt road. But then again it is a bit worn down and I may just 86 it

mtbr member
    Never tried the Crossmarks, but I have the Revolts and think they are awesome. THe only time I wouldn't use them is on wet roots and mud.

For wet conditions, I use the Bontrager Mud's. They also work great for rock gardens. They really grip awesome.

I run both tires tubeless.

mtbr member
    Thnxs guys. Appreciate your thoughts and experiences.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Revolts are more prone to sidewall damage. I prefer the Crossmarks. Neither of these tires are for wet and muddy conditions.

mtbr member
    Thnxs sleeper. I have not used the Crossmarks in the mud yet and there is a chance the race next week will be muddy. Should I use the slower Fire Pro 2.1" if the rains come??.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Crossmarks perform best on firm ground and are great in the dry and ok in wet conditions and thin runny mud. However it will block up very easily and does not perform very well in soft conditions as there is not much space between the knobs. I find they are a pretty good allrounder for racing and use them mainly for dry marathon races (50km to 100km). I mostly run them as a rear but have run them up front before for non-technical hard pack singletrack and fireroad races. If there is any hint of soft mud I will use something else.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Mud can be a pain in the butt. Sometimes it sticks, sometimes just slosh, sometimes just slippery. I use a Nobby Nic 2.1 (front) if things look wet, although it is not a mudtire either.
    The Panaracer would be a better choice.

mtbr member
    Thnxs for your thoughts Bing. The race I'm doing is the Classic "Lake to Lake" here in Ontario Can. Lots of gravel roads, single track, but also ugly dirt rutts caused by 4x4's. I did a test ride yesterday when dry and the Marks feel so good on the hard pack and nasty rough stuff.

On the gravel road at speed they were a little loose but I can deal with that. I still think they feel a little heavy compared with my old Revolt Super X's but it could be me.

Sleeper, I will keep the Fire Pro's in mind if the rains come...thnxs again.

The rumour is this is the last "Lake to Lake" and I want to do it in record time (for me) so that is why I want to get every thing right.

It sure helps when I get imput from you guys! .