mtbr member
    Sep 2011

Bontrager Mustang RaRa mounting issue

I can't get RaRa's into the bead. The tire keeps tucking and sealing against the inside of the wheel. The tire airs up, just crooked on the wheel, with or without tubes. It's hard to describe, I guess the bead is rolling under?

The wheels have had other tires tubeless, the Ralphs are new, and mount fine on other rims.

2012 Bonti Mustangs TLR, Bonti rim strips, plenty of soap, air up with a hand pump tubeless but crooked.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Let the tire down to a couple/1 PSI, then grabbing a section of tire with both hands, roll it away from the rim. Go all the way around on both sides. Doing this should pull the bead up to the hook.

CSC
    mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by wschruba View Post
    Let the tire down to a couple/1 PSI, then grabbing a section of tire with both hands, roll it away from the rim. Go all the way around on both sides. Doing this should pull the bead up to the hook.
    using thumbs to pry up on the sidewall. I'd let air out until you can sort of "hook" your thumbs into the sidewall...15 psi, probably less. You will/should feel the bead click into place.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Wish it was that easy I've been trying that, and I have really strong hands- ain't happening. The bead isn't folded over, it's fully extended. The wheel is just WAY bigger than the tire.

The tire is tight in the channel of the wheel deflated and It's a very tight install, I had to soap the tire to get it to spin. I can put that tire on my Arches or Kore's from across the room. The mustang is just a bigger diameter, and I don't see it ever fitting.

Bro Mountainbiker
    How much pressure? Some wheel tire combos take more pressure to seat the beat. Be careful not to add so much that the tire blows off the rim
    Raised in a Chicken-Coop by Chickens

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    OK. Just tried the other one that's been aired up with a tube on a different rim @ 40psi for about 4 hours. It only has a slight kink in it, so I need to stretch the tire for a while obviously. And on a different rim, what a pita!

I just did this with another RaRa 2.25 and it never straightened out on any wheel and it's replacement had an egg in the sidewall, so this is better I suppose.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Update

They got a 24 hr stretch @ 40 psi with a tube. Pulled the tubes, put sealant in the tires. They aired up by hand but needed all of 40+ psi to snap the beads into place. I had to air them to 40ish, then down, then back several times to get there.