mnt bike laws of physics

Bontrager Jones XR TLR 2.25"???

Haven't seen any opinions about the Jones XR tubeless ready tires. They are advertised to have a mass of 615g with a 2.20" rear specific and a 2.25" front specific. This all sounds good - light and a nice size, but how do they perform?
    I race and ride very fast and have recently made the move towards larger tires as they corner better, and I am able to maintain momentum because of this which equates to a funner/faster ride.

If anybody has any experience with these tires, please let us know what you think about how they perform in your conditions. And are they really that light??
    Last edited by yogiprophet; 11-12-2007 at 11:36 AM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    I'm using an XR TR on the front, set up with the Bontrager Tubeless system. It works well for most conditions, it's relatively fast rolling, but washes out in loose, sandy stuff. It definitely worked better once I ditched the tubes. I typically run it in the mid 30's, but this weekend I rode it at 40 psi, for a mixed road / trail ride and it worked as well as could be expected on wet leaves.

No longer 26
    To get a little extra speed out of the set up, use front specific on the front and back both in the front direction. Provides plenty of traction on the back. Grip on the front improves with lowish PSI. I am down to 25-26 psi on my 29er. Higher than that they were a little "bouncy". Plan to try them even lower.

I did replace the XR on the rear of my 29er FS with a Mythos XC front tire. Rolls faster with similiar upright grip and climbing grip. Does not lean as well so that is why I am only using on the back. Really want to try a Bonty DryX on the back as well.

G
    You can't depend on honest answers from dependant hands...

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I'm very pleased with them so far. I ride southeastern Michigan, which is mostly singletrack that stays fairly hardpacked in between the sandy spots. As noted by others, loose surface traction isn't perfect, but running them tubless with lower pressures should help out in that department. For the majority of my rides, which can include some greasy surfaces after a rain, they are great.

I'll be running them tubeless for the first time tonight and will report what the differences are.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    i have ridden the tires for alomst a year and they are quickly becoming my favorite set of tires. the only issues i have had with them slipping was in a little mud. i was running about 40 psi.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I weighted the a couple of Jones XR TLR tires at a local shop and they were well under 600g. Around 580 gr.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Okay, they seem to roll a little faster and smoother without tubes (on pavement), and they do accelerate slightly quicker. The lower front tire pressure (27psi versus my normal 45 psi) really did help a lot in cornering traction. It's a little difficult to tell just how much better it is, since the trails are 95% covered with leaves right now. I started out with 30 psi in the rear tire and had to add a few pounds to get rid of the squirmy feel. Overall, I like these tires and would recommend them to others that ride trails that are similar to the ones that I ride.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    If I remember correctly, I thought they used to be claimed closer to 550g. Anyways, I've been using those tires for almost 2 years. Run 25 psi, I'm 150 lbs. Not a flat running stans conversion.