Thread: Bontrager hubs

mtbr member
    Jan 2017

Bontrager hubs

Anyone have any experience with Bontrager hubs? I'm looking at a used 27.5+ wheelset with some OEM Bontrager boost hubs laced to Sun Ringle Duroc 40s. Looks like these come stock on a good amount of Trek bikes, but I don't want to buy something used if people have had to warranty them frequently.
    Patrick

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    The new Bontrager Rapid Drive hubs seem really nice, very cheap to upgrade the engagement to Industry 9 levels, I would buy some if they were sold individually. Otherwise "Bontrager" hubs could be rebranded crap from some other company like Formula.

I think Rapid Drive hubs are thick and have graphics on them with straight pull spokes, "Bontrager" hubs that are just black with the word Bontrager are probably low end Formula hubs with 30degree engagement.

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by idividebyzero View Post
    The new Bontrager Rapid Drive hubs seem really nice, very cheap to upgrade the engagement to Industry 9 levels, I would buy some if they were sold individually. Otherwise "Bontrager" hubs could be rebranded crap from some other company like Formula.

I think Rapid Drive hubs are thick and have graphics on them with straight pull spokes, "Bontrager" hubs that are just black with the word Bontrager are probably low end Formula hubs with 30degree engagement.
    Yeah, these are just black and say "BOOST148" and "BOOST110" on them. On Trek's website they just say "Bontrager sealed bearing hubs."

Wish there was a way to find out what type of engagement system they use--if they used DT Swiss' star ratchet it would at least be an easy upgrade to improve them. Not sure what Formula or other OEM brands use though.
    Patrick

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    If it looks like a DT Swiss 350 then its a 350, if its hourglass shaped then its probably Formula. I dont think they change the shape, just the label.
    Last edited by idividebyzero; 10-12-2017 at 01:06 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    I have 2 Bontrager wheelsets. One that was stock on my Fuel EX and the carbon Line Pro 30s.

The stock hubs have 3 pawls and 15* engagement. They donít look like anything that Formula sells. Theyíre good hubs. Never had a problem with them.

The Bontrager hubs that came with with my Carbon Line Pro 30s donít look like anything that Formula carries. The hubs have 108 points of engagement at 3.3 degrees. The shape looks similar to the stock hubs but it appears to be better machined with more attention to detail. Definitely higher quality.

Edit: The stock Bontrager rear hub is actually 15* engagement instead of 20*.
    Last edited by almazing; 10-12-2017 at 06:44 PM.
    I no longer like to party. But I like the idea of it.

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by pjames12 View Post
    Yeah, these are just black and say "BOOST148" and "BOOST110" on them. On Trek's website they just say "Bontrager sealed bearing hubs."

Wish there was a way to find out what type of engagement system they use--if they used DT Swiss' star ratchet it would at least be an easy upgrade to improve them. Not sure what Formula or other OEM brands use though.
    It's just a low engagement pawl drive with a steel freehub.

mtbr member
    I have a Line Elite 30. Hub has 6 normal looking pawls. They're in two sets of 3 offset from each other such that one set or the other engages the 54 tooth ratchet providing 108 poe. The wheels only come with normal splined freehubs. The xd driver is available separately ($99!) and comes without pawls or springs which need to be moved over from the splined freehub. Kinda bogus IMO.
    Do the math.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Lone Rager View Post
    I have a Line Elite 30. Hub has 6 normal looking pawls. They're in two sets of 3 offset from each other such that one set or the other engages the 54 tooth ratchet providing 108 poe. The wheels only come with normal splined freehubs. The xd driver is available separately ($99!) and comes without pawls or springs which need to be moved over from the splined freehub. Kinda bogus IMO.
    How do you like the Line Elite 30s? I've been thinking about getting some. They seem like a good value, but i've also heard the rims are soft. I already bent one of my stock Duster Pro/Elite/something rims.

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by HuffyMan View Post
    How do you like the Line Elite 30s? I've been thinking about getting some. They seem like a good value, but i've also heard the rims are soft. I already bent one of my stock Duster Pro/Elite/something rims.
    I have had the Line Elite 30's for about a month now. The rims themselves have a high build quality and look super sharp. The rimstrip makes for a super simple tubeless setups. As for the hub I think the 108 points of engagement is a bit overkill. My other wheel-set has hubs with 54 points of engagement and I really can't notice any perceivable difference between the two when out on the trail. I think Bontrager made more of a marketing decision here than actually trying to increase the performance of the wheel-set. I would be curious if this extra engagement incurs any drag penalties. Overall I would recommend the Line Elite 30's but mostly on the merits of being well constructed, light and priced affordably.
    Last edited by neb636; 10-14-2017 at 06:59 PM.

mtbr member
    Pretty much what he ^ said.

You can always take out one of the two sets of three pawls to get to 54 poe if so desired. Personally, I don't think pawl drag is consequential, and it's there only while coasting anyway. In my lowest gear, 54 poe corresponds to 10 degrees of crank rotation. 108 is 5 degrees.
    Do the math.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by neb636 View Post
    I would be curious if this extra engagement incurs any drag penalties
    Some quick research actually unsurfaces claims from Bontrager that their new 108 POE system has less drag than the 240 hubs 54 POE that they are replacing.

That said, I have the Kovee Elite 23s on my XC hardtail and would like to upgrade to 108. Anyone know where to get the additional 3 pawls/pawl kits???
    In serving the wicked, expect no reward, and be thankful if you escape injury for your pains.

Two wheels are best
    Quote Originally Posted by Stalkerfiveo View Post
    That said, I have the Kovee Elite 23s on my XC hardtail and would like to upgrade to 108. Anyone know where to get the additional 3 pawls/pawl kits???
    The only place I've found that can get them is a Trek dealer.

I'm going to wait until i get my hubs serviced to add the 3 pawls.
    Never be afraid to try something new.

Remember amateurs built the Ark.
    Professionals built the Titanic.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DM-SC View Post
    The only place I've found that can get them is a Trek dealer.

I'm going to wait until i get my hubs serviced to add the 3 pawls.
    Stopped by my LBS today and got some ordered. Seems pretty silly it isn't a kit. You have to buy the pawls and springs separately.
    In serving the wicked, expect no reward, and be thankful if you escape injury for your pains.

Two wheels are best
    Quote Originally Posted by Stalkerfiveo View Post
    Stopped by my LBS today and got some ordered. Seems pretty silly it isn't a kit. You have to buy the pawls and springs separately.
    Yeah, even if you were just needing to replace the existing pawls and/or springs, seems like including the springs would make since. May as well replace both if you're taking the hub apart.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Never be afraid to try something new.

Remember amateurs built the Ark.
    Professionals built the Titanic.

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    The stock rear hub on my 2017 Fuel EX8 has a bunch of drag now, with perhaps only 400 miles on it. Sealed bearings need replacing already? Pretty weak compared to my I9's on my LB wheel set.

mtbr member
    Sounds like something is wrong with it. It could be freehub issue. Get it fixed. Those are different from the new Bontrager Line hubs.
    Do the math.

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Lone Rager View Post
    Sounds like something is wrong with it. It could be freehub issue. Get it fixed. Those are different from the new Bontrager Line hubs.
    Update: So, took the wheel into local shop....good shop....and they agreed that the hub was too draggy. Said they found a bad bearing and charged me $9 for the bearing and $15 for replacement and said that it was adjusted too tight.

But the results aren't good. There was still a fair amount of drag right off the bat, and after one ride the drag is just as bad but I also feel some play in the hub when I wiggle the wheel.

Am I just spoiled by six months riding I9 hubs? I don't remember even cheap OEM hubs having this much drag.