mtbr member
    Sep 2012

Bontrager duster TLR

I have been searching the web, forums, product sites and been trying to figure out what I need to go tubeles with this particular rim. I have a 2012 Trek EX8 with TLR rims. The number - 559 x 22 is on the sticker that states TLR - tubeless ready. I have one tubeless tire that I ordered and another on the way. (Trail king 2.2 & 2.4 UST). Before I got this bike I was aware of the Stan's kit for ghetto conversions, but since my rims are now TLR, and I have UST tires I am confused as to what I need. I know I at least need a rim strip and valve stem and one mention in another thread says I do not even need the sealant, but it is a good idea to go ahead and use it.

So, is it better to use the bontrager strips since they are sure to fit?
    They call me non-sequitur

transmitter~receiver
    Quote Originally Posted by Gypsymage View Post
    Yes.
    Get them at your local Trek/Bonty dealer. ~USD$9 per strip, IIRC. Well worth it.
    I use valves with removeable cores cut from tubes with great success. if you want to pay more, you can get Stan's valves, which work fine, or Bonty TLR valves, which I'm sure also work fine. The valve hole in a Bonty rim strip has a flat interface, so there is no special shape that you could make an argument for like on a Mavic UST rim (where cut-out valves also work fine, btw). The soft rubber cone that you end up with at the base of a cut-out valve works perfectly.
    Quote Originally Posted by pvd
    Time to stop believing the hype and start doing some science.
    29er Tire Weight Database

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator

Bontrager duster TLR

I have been searching the web, forums, product sites and been trying to figure out what I need to go tubeles with this particular rim. I have a 2012 Trek EX8 with TLR rims. The number - 559 x 22 is on the sticker that states TLR - tubeless ready. I have one tubeless tire that I ordered and another on the way. (Trail king 2.2 & 2.4 UST). Before I got this bike I was aware of the Stan's kit for ghetto conversions, but since my rims are now TLR, and I have UST tires I am confused as to what I need. I know I at least need a rim strip and valve stem and one mention in another thread says I do not even need the sealant, but it is a good idea to go ahead and use it.

No question. Get the TLR rim strips AND valves. Best tubeless rim setup out there. The Bonty valves are made to work with the rim strips and are rock solid and seal well, unlike the rubber base universal valves.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

transmitter~receiver
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy View Post
    unlike the rubber base universal valves.
    Ever used a cut-out valve or a Stan's universal valve in a Bontrager rim strip? I didn't think so. Declaring that other valves don't work is misleading at best (since they do).
    They work fine too. I have years of experience using them, including with Bontrager TLR rim strips, which are on both of my mountain bikes.
    The hole to fit:

Not a special problem at all. The TLR valve is just an o-ring on a valve with a metal base.

Bontrager duster TLR

Quote Originally Posted by meltingfeather View Post
    Ever used a cut-out valve or a Stan's universal valve in a Bontrager rim strip? I didn't think so. Declaring that other valves don't work is misleading at best (since they do).
    They work fine too. I have years of experience using them, including with Bontrager TLR rim strips, which are on both of my mountain bikes.
    The hole to fit:

Not a special problem at all. The TLR valve is just an o-ring on a valve with a metal base.
    Yes, I have, and I have seen others use them. I did not say the the universal valves do not work. None work as well as the Bonty valve. The metal base makes for a more more stable and secure seal. Seen way too many of the rubber base valves--new and old--rock, fail to seal, and just not work, to recommend them as reliable. There is no reason NOT to use the Bonty valves if you can get them. I am still using ones that are 7-8 years old.
    mtbtires.com

transmitter~receiver
    Yes, I have, and I have seen others use them. I did not say the the universal valves do not work. None work as well as the Bonty valve. The metal base makes for a more more stable and secure seal. Seen way too many of the rubber base valves--new and old--rock, fail to seal, and just not work, to recommend them as reliable.
    Well color me surprised (that you've tried them).
    You said they don't seal well, which is contrary to my experience. I've never had an issue.
    There is no reason NOT to use the Bonty valves if you can get them. I am still using ones that are 7-8 years old.
    Certainly true. When I bought my TLR strips I asked if they had valves... nope... so I ended up continuing to successfully use cut-out valves.

psycho cyclo addict
    Yes, I have, and I have seen others use them. I did not say the the universal valves do not work. None work as well as the Bonty valve. The metal base makes for a more more stable and secure seal. Seen way too many of the rubber base valves--new and old--rock, fail to seal, and just not work, to recommend them as reliable. There is no reason NOT to use the Bonty valves if you can get them. I am still using ones that are 7-8 years old.
    +1 on the Bonty valve - haven't seen others fail though these sure fit nice and snug (and were even a bit less expensive than Stan's valves IIRC). The new Stan's valves are an improvement over the old ones but I'd still go with the Bonty valve. OP: I ordered them off of the Trek web site Bontrager Tubeless Replacement Parts - Essentials -Trek Store

transmitter~receiver
    I am still using ones that are 7-8 years old.
    This got by me the first time. TLR strips and valves were available in 2005??

Bontrager duster TLR

Quote Originally Posted by meltingfeather View Post
    This got by me the first time. TLR strips and valves were available in 2005??
    About then. I had one of the first sets of Rhythm Comp TLR wheels. Still using them with nothing more than a retension after about a year.
    mtbtires.com

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Ok, I got the rimstrips, removable valve stems, both Bontrager. Instead of using the Bontrager sealant, I got Stan's instead. Bontrager suggests 30ml or 1 ounce per tire. Stan's recommends over 2oz per tire if over 2.0. I have a 2.2 and 2.4 UST trail king tires. What amount should be adequate?

Is getting a valve stem remover and syringe highly recommended? Or can I just save myself a trip to get these tools and pour directly in the tire without too much hassle?

Oh, I almost forgot. Is it also recommened to do this right before a ride to make sure it distributes correctly or would it be fine if I installed a day before my ride?
    They call me non-sequitur

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    I have found if you pour it in, and ride around the block it works perfectly.

psycho cyclo addict

Bontrager duster TLR

Ok, I got the rimstrips, removable valve stems, both Bontrager. Instead of using the Bontrager sealant, I got Stan's instead. Bontrager suggests 30ml or 1 ounce per tire. Stan's recommends over 2oz per tire if over 2.0. I have a 2.2 and 2.4 UST trail king tires. What amount should be adequate?

Is getting a valve stem remover and syringe highly recommended? Or can I just save myself a trip to get these tools and pour directly in the tire without too much hassle?

Oh, I almost forgot. Is it also recommened to do this right before a ride to make sure it distributes correctly or would it be fine if I installed a day before my ride?
    Go with what Stan's recommends. I run only TLR tires (2.4 and 2.25) and typically put 4 oz of Stan's in when initially setting up tires on my Bontrager Dusters (with their rim strips and valve stems). There are videos on Stan's web site (under help center) that describe how to distribute sealant. I'd definitely get a valve stem remover. Instead of a syringe, I use an old 2oz mini bottle to inject sealant (with the core removed).

Newly setup tubeless tires have held air overnight ~98% of the time for me so go ahead and juice them up the day before.

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1362171204.873068.jpg
Views: 1674
Size:  15.6 KB
    Last edited by edubfromktown; 03-01-2013 at 01:37 PM.