Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1
    OnTheTrailAgain
    Reputation: 2ndgen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    2,191

    Bontrager Duster Rims...

    OEM Bontrager Duster Rims...are they worth being part of a custom build?

    I ask because I have a stock set.
    Thought about upgrading to a set of Crossmax STs,
    but have been reading good things about the Dusters.

    So, does anybody have any opinions/experiences with building them up
    (hubs, spokes, etc...) with some examples of final weights?

    Of course I'm trying to go as light as possible, but won't sacrifice strength or durability.
    I definitely want a wheelset that will be trouble free and that will be able to take a beating
    if called upon to do so.

    Type of riding:
    5.5" FS Roscoe I, mostly aggressive trail riding and AM & Epics.

    Rider:
    5'9" @ solid 210lbs.

    Thanks for any input.
    Last edited by 2ndgen; 10-31-2009 at 02:23 PM.

  2. #2
    OnTheTrailAgain
    Reputation: 2ndgen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    2,191
    Okay,

    So here's what I've "learned" so far...Duster 26"rs come in at 435g's.

    Pro's are width (28mm), strength, lacing pattern and tubeless readiness
    (not to mention no-hassle factory warranty).

    The debate seems to be whether they are just XC or AM (as advertised).

    So, I'm thinking, for an immediate upgrade, change everything I can on them and see how much I could save weight-wise while having a stronger wheelset.

    I know that I'll have to use 15QR compatible hubs.
    So far, that means as far as manufacturers go;
    Shimano, DT, Hope, Mavic, Industry 9, Chris King
    (as far as I know...any other suggestions greatly appreciated).

    To be brutally honest and superficial, I REALLY like the looks of Mavic's hubs.
    They are not only are blingy, but they seem like a better design than standard hubs.
    Of course, I'm sure that doesn't necessarily mean squat, but they look industrial-like.






    Back in the day, I used to tear down my BMX bikes to their bearings, spilling their guts on the floor, cleaning & polishing everything up, greasing what needed to be greased and putting them back together, tightening every nut with my own hands.

    So, something that I could rebuild myself without any special tools would be a +.




    Without knowing any specifics, I like what I hear about Chris King, DT, I9, and Hope hubs.

    I have a target weight of under 1800g's when complete with the Dusters already eating up just over 1/2 of that 1800g's (if I use the Dusters as my rim set).

    If my calculations are correct, everything else (hubs, spokes, etc...) needs to be under 800g's.

    I'm thinking a good set of hubs should come in at about 500g's?

    Is this a possible goal?




    It all boils down to this:

    Buy a brand new set of 1650g 2009 Mavic Crossmax ST's all ready to go
    or build a much better set from scratch using my current OEM Bonty Duster Rims
    + better parts for possible less money (if the Mavics don't offer better bang for the buck).





    Suggestions?




    Last edited by 2ndgen; 10-31-2009 at 08:01 PM.

  3. #3
    The Bubble Wrap Hysteria
    Reputation: mtnbiker4life's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    3,248
    Here is an idea of wheel weights. These wheels are light and strong.

    http://classifieds.mtbr.com/showprod...=41807&cat=500

    Front Wheel - 811g
    King ISO 20mm T/A, 110mm
    Rims Bontrager Duster TLR
    Spokes Sapin 1.8/2.0 and 1.6/2.0 Silver
    Nipples Sapin 16mm Black Aluminum

    Rear Wheel - 904g
    Rear ISO Fun Bolts, 135mm
    Rims Bontrager Duster TLR
    Spokes Sapin 1.8/2.0 and 1.6/2.0 Silver
    Nipples Sapin 16mm Black Aluminum

  4. #4
    OnTheTrailAgain
    Reputation: 2ndgen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    2,191
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker4life
    Here is an idea of wheel weights. These wheels are light and strong.

    http://classifieds.mtbr.com/showprod...=41807&cat=500

    Front Wheel - 811g
    King ISO 20mm T/A, 110mm
    Rims Bontrager Duster TLR
    Spokes Sapin 1.8/2.0 and 1.6/2.0 Silver
    Nipples Sapin 16mm Black Aluminum

    Rear Wheel - 904g
    Rear ISO Fun Bolts, 135mm
    Rims Bontrager Duster TLR
    Spokes Sapin 1.8/2.0 and 1.6/2.0 Silver
    Nipples Sapin 16mm Black Aluminum
    Thanks.

  5. #5
    OnTheTrailAgain
    Reputation: 2ndgen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    2,191
    ProWheelBuilder Custom at 1560g for $578 with
    FRONT WHEEL
    Rims: STANS EXTRA LIGHT OLYMPIC DISC RIM
    Hubs: HOPE PRO 2 GOLD 6 BOLT 15MM DISK FRONT HUB
    Spokes: DT SWISS COMPETITION 14/15/14 GUAGE BLACK SPOKES
    Nipples: Gold
    Weight: 721.8 grams

    REAR WHEEL
    Rims: STANS EXTRA LIGHT OLYMPIC DISC RIM
    Hubs: HOPE PRO 2 6 BOLT DISK GOLD REAR HUB
    Spokes: DT SWISS COMPETITION 14/15/14 GUAGE BLACK SPOKES
    Nipples: Silver Brass Gold
    Weight: 839.1 grams

    Think I've just found my upgrade wheelset.
    Looks like a 490g drop from my stock wheelset.
    Nice alternating black & gold theme would match my bike's paint scheme nicely.
    Based on my research, I think I've chosen safe parts (reliable, proven, etc...).


    Question:
    Alternative wheelset (same parts) with Mavic 717 Rims would cost about $6. less, but weigh 106g's more.

    Would the Mavic 717 Rim be stronger and better suited for Aggressive Trail riding than the Stan's Olympic Rims?

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    6,736

    Built a set of Dusters....

    last spring for my FS bike. Here's the build and final weight. By the way, the Duster come in at 460g not 435, I know I weighed them when they came in.

    Duster rims, Hope Pro II hubs, DT Comp spokes, DT alloy nipples, 32 hole 3 cross. Total weight 1862g without rim strips or QRs. For versatility it's hard to beat the Pro II front hub. Going from QR to 15mm to 20mm is a snap, And I love the "no special tools needed" maintenance on the rear hub.

    Riding impressions: The above build makes for a stiff, durable wheel at a reasonable weight. Suitable for XC, Trail, and AM. They'll take a pretty good butt whoopin' and come back for more. Versitile as far as set up goes, can be run with rim tape and tubes, or tubeless with the Bonty rim strips and valves with either standard tires and sealant, "tubeless ready" tires and sealant, or UST tires and no sealant should you choose to go that route. Though sealant is recommend even with UST tires, just not necessary. They ain't the prettiest or blingyest rims on the planet by any stretch of the imabination. But in my book pretty is as pretty does. IMHO well worth the rebuild.

    As a side note: The OEM Duster is the same rim that you'd get if you ordered the rim seperately from a Trek dealer. The only thing that makes them OEM is the factory spoke, hub, and nipple spec.

    As far as Mavic factory wheels. Yeah the look pretty, but, price out parts for the damned things! Just the price of those proprietary spokes will make you choke! Add to that the fact that Mavic will only let their dealers do (very) limited work on them, warranty or otherwise, and you've got a real problem and some serious down time should anything go wrong. And how do I know this you ask, because I work for a shop and we are a Mavic dealer. We've had a couple of Mavic "factory" wheels come in this season, a set of Ksyrium road wheels, and a set of Crosslands, both with free hub problems. They wouldn't send us the parts to repair them, we had to send them into Mavic! Your call on that one. Personally, I'm done with Mavic products myself.

    As for hubs, I went with the Hopes for the verstatility and ease of maintenance. But I wouldn't hesitate to go with CK, I9s either. I'm not crazy about DTs. They are good hubs, but not all that for what you spend for them. Shimano hubs (the newer ones) are okay, but you can get lighter, and I'm not totaly convinced of their durability. And I've already expressed my views on Mavic, nuff said.

    So, your call. The Dusters are well constructed and strong. Deffinately an AM rim no problem. IMHO they're a sleeper. Not blingy or pretty, but a very fuctional hoop at a reasonable price.

    Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"

  7. #7
    OnTheTrailAgain
    Reputation: 2ndgen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    2,191
    Quote Originally Posted by Squash
    last spring for my FS bike. Here's the build and final weight. By the way, the Duster come in at 460g not 435, I know I weighed them when they came in.

    Duster rims, Hope Pro II hubs, DT Comp spokes, DT alloy nipples, 32 hole 3 cross. Total weight 1862g without rim strips or QRs. For versatility it's hard to beat the Pro II front hub. Going from QR to 15mm to 20mm is a snap, And I love the "no special tools needed" maintenance on the rear hub.

    Riding impressions: The above build makes for a stiff, durable wheel at a reasonable weight. Suitable for XC, Trail, and AM. They'll take a pretty good butt whoopin' and come back for more. Versitile as far as set up goes, can be run with rim tape and tubes, or tubeless with the Bonty rim strips and valves with either standard tires and sealant, "tubeless ready" tires and sealant, or UST tires and no sealant should you choose to go that route. Though sealant is recommend even with UST tires, just not necessary. They ain't the prettiest or blingyest rims on the planet by any stretch of the imabination. But in my book pretty is as pretty does. IMHO well worth the rebuild.

    As a side note: The OEM Duster is the same rim that you'd get if you ordered the rim seperately from a Trek dealer. The only thing that makes them OEM is the factory spoke, hub, and nipple spec.

    As far as Mavic factory wheels. Yeah the look pretty, but, price out parts for the damned things! Just the price of those proprietary spokes will make you choke! Add to that the fact that Mavic will only let their dealers do (very) limited work on them, warranty or otherwise, and you've got a real problem and some serious down time should anything go wrong. And how do I know this you ask, because I work for a shop and we are a Mavic dealer. We've had a couple of Mavic "factory" wheels come in this season, a set of Ksyrium road wheels, and a set of Crosslands, both with free hub problems. They wouldn't send us the parts to repair them, we had to send them into Mavic! Your call on that one. Personally, I'm done with Mavic products myself.

    As for hubs, I went with the Hopes for the verstatility and ease of maintenance. But I wouldn't hesitate to go with CK, I9s either. I'm not crazy about DTs. They are good hubs, but not all that for what you spend for them. Shimano hubs (the newer ones) are okay, but you can get lighter, and I'm not totaly convinced of their durability. And I've already expressed my views on Mavic, nuff said.

    So, your call. The Dusters are well constructed and strong. Deffinately an AM rim no problem. IMHO they're a sleeper. Not blingy or pretty, but a very fuctional hoop at a reasonable price.

    Good Dirt
    Thanks Squash.

    I got the 435g from another member here (with 19,000+ posts),
    so I felt comfortable with trusting his #'s when I listed them at 435.

    Question:
    [SIZE="4"]How much did you put your set together for ($)?[/SIZE]

    I've been researching wheelbuilders online and I'm finding 14-1650g range sets averaging at about $575.

    From what I've assessed, it would cost me about $500. for the parts and labor
    (if that labor is $150.) to upgrade my stock Dusters with the same parts
    and I'd end up with a 1800g range wheelset.

    Besides weight and cost, I'd have to say that the most important thing is functionality.
    I'm just over 210lbs. So if I "have to" get a set of 1800g rims (for what I'm willing to pay),
    then that's what I'll have to get (light weight ain't jack shi! if my wheels keep failing ).

    In the end, I'm talking about roughly 1/2 a pound difference between just squeaking by weight limits wise and having a set that I can really feel comfortable with beating up.

    Again, thanks for your input.



    Last edited by 2ndgen; 11-01-2009 at 11:46 AM.

  8. #8
    The Bubble Wrap Hysteria
    Reputation: mtnbiker4life's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    3,248
    Quote Originally Posted by 2ndgen
    ProWheelBuilder Custom at 1560g for $578 with
    FRONT WHEEL
    Rims: STANS EXTRA LIGHT OLYMPIC DISC RIM
    Hubs: HOPE PRO 2 GOLD 6 BOLT 15MM DISK FRONT HUB
    Spokes: DT SWISS COMPETITION 14/15/14 GUAGE BLACK SPOKES
    Nipples: Gold
    Weight: 721.8 grams

    REAR WHEEL
    Rims: STANS EXTRA LIGHT OLYMPIC DISC RIM
    Hubs: HOPE PRO 2 6 BOLT DISK GOLD REAR HUB
    Spokes: DT SWISS COMPETITION 14/15/14 GUAGE BLACK SPOKES
    Nipples: Silver Brass Gold
    Weight: 839.1 grams

    Think I've just found my upgrade wheelset.
    Looks like a 490g drop from my stock wheelset.
    Nice alternating black & gold theme would match my bike's paint scheme nicely.
    Based on my research, I think I've chosen safe parts (reliable, proven, etc...).


    Question:
    Alternative wheelset (same parts) with Mavic 717 Rims would cost about $6. less, but weigh 106g's more.

    Would the Mavic 717 Rim be stronger and better suited for Aggressive Trail riding than the Stan's Olympic Rims?
    Agressive trail riding with the Olympic rims might be a stretch unless you're 110 lb rider......Agressive trail riding makes me think of the Stans Arch rim. Albeit, the Mavic 717 is a strong rim but it limits you on tire size. I have a set of Mavic 717 wheels that have held up better then the DT 4.2s for trail riding on a FS bike.

  9. #9
    The Bubble Wrap Hysteria
    Reputation: mtnbiker4life's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    3,248
    Quote Originally Posted by 2ndgen
    Besides weight and cost, I'd have to say that the most important thing is functionality.
    I'm just over 210lbs. So if I "have to" get a set of 1800g rims (for what I'm willing to pay),
    then that's what I'll have to get (light weight ain't jack shi! if my wheels keep failing ).

    In the end, I'm talking about roughly 1/2 a pound difference between just squeaking by weight limits wise and having a set that I can really feel comfortable with beating up.
    According to Dave the early Dusters were coming in at 430 grams but as the extrusion die wears the weight will increase by a small percentage.

    I think the most important part of building a custom wheel is the builder. For example, Dave @ Speeddream interviews you and builds the wheel to your riding style, bike and trails. I have another set of Dave's wheels Kings, Sapine spoke, and Stan Archs rims....the wheels weigh 1720 grams with a 20mm T/A front hub. These are the wheel builders I trust.

    Dave @ Speeddream
    Chad @ Red Barn
    Larry @ Mountain High
    Myke @ Velo

    These are in no specific order......I roll on wheels from all these guys. And from what I have read here on mtbr their are a few other good builders.

  10. #10
    OnTheTrailAgain
    Reputation: 2ndgen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    2,191
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker4life
    Agressive trail riding with the Olympic rims might be a stretch unless you're 110 lb rider......Agressive trail riding makes me think of the Stans Arch rim. Albeit, the Mavic 717 is a strong rim but it limits you on tire size. I have a set of Mavic 717 wheels that have held up better then the DT 4.2s for trail riding on a FS bike.
    Want to run 2.4's or 2.5' tires.

  11. #11
    The Bubble Wrap Hysteria
    Reputation: mtnbiker4life's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    3,248
    Quote Originally Posted by 2ndgen
    Want to run 2.4's or 2.5' tires.
    Then you need a rim that measures 19mm inside the bead which would mean a Stans Arch, Duster or DT 5.1d. If you tried to put a true 2.4 tire on a Mavic 717 you would roll that tire of the rim if you ran too low tire pressure. I'm running a 2.24 on my 717s which are perfect for that rim.

  12. #12
    OnTheTrailAgain
    Reputation: 2ndgen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    2,191
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker4life
    Then you need a rim that measures 19mm inside the bead which would mean a Stans Arch, Duster or DT 5.1d. If you tried to put a true 2.4 tire on a Mavic 717 you would roll that tire of the rim if you ran too low tire pressure. I'm running a 2.24 on my 717s which are perfect for that rim.
    I'm thinking that the Dusters are going to be the answer for me and 250g's or so isn't much for me to fret over as long as I know that I have a stronger wheelset that can accommodate what I need.

    Looks like Hope Pro 2 and DT spokes/nipples will be the route.

    It looks like they'll come in at about 1610-1660+g's for the rims/hubs/spokes/nipples.

    Not bad I think.

    Last edited by 2ndgen; 11-04-2009 at 11:26 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •