mtbr member

Bont Race Lite tubeless setup

I just purchased a Bontrager Race Lite TLR wheelset. I was planning on running tubeless, I'm sure with reg tires or TLR ones, but I was wondering if I really need a rimstrip on it. When I bought them they did not come with any rimstrip on it and I just figured I'd just use a valve stem and be set, but after reading some other forums, I think I might need to get something like a stans rimstrip, anyone have any info on this?

btw, will be using stans with the setup
    thanks for any help

mtbr member
    May 2006
    According to the Bontrager website, it looks like TLR rims should come with Bontrager tubeless rim strips and valve cores. So yes, you would need some sort of strip to make them tubeless. Not sure how Stans works compared to the Bontrager version. Did your wheels not come with them?

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I have Mustang TLR wheels right now and the rim strips and valves are pretty nice. I tried the Bontrager "slime" liquid but it did not hold. I am using Stans and still have a very slow leak but all in all I like the wheels so far.

mtbr member
    Well I bought them used on ebay, year of use for $120 shipped, I figured it wasn't too bad, but anyways the seller did not include any valves or rim strips. I kind of thought it wouldnt be needed since there are no spoke holes on the outer portion of the rim aside from the valve, I figured a rim strip wouldn't really do much, and the Stan's rim strips are like $20+, but I saw on the Bontrager website that their tubeless rim strip is only $5 so that's not bad, I just wasn't sure if it was really necessary

mtbr member
    May 2006
    What you are seeing could just be spoke tape or maybe that is the rim strip already installed. If it is like the Stans rim strip than it is just a strip of rubber that fits along the inside of the rim.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    The TLR rim strip is black and gives the rim a UST profile. I have these rims and they definitely have spoke holes if there is no strip in them. You might have the strip installed already. If you don't, I would head to you local Trek / Fisher / Bontrager dealer and get the stips and valves for them. They work well. I've had mixed results with the Super Juice, it worked well on the front, but i had some issues in the rear - Stans might seal better.

mtbr member
    Alright, thanks, I talked with the seller and he said that they are installed, I guess when I looked at them last weekend it really looked like nothing was installed, I probably sound retarded by not seeing it, but I guess its quite deceiving and I was only going off memory of when I looked at them briefly, I just need to get valves. I was planning on running Schwalbe Racing Ralphs or Bontrager Jones XR tires, does anyone have any suggestions for this set up? is it worth the extra coin for the TLR bontys or will reg jones xr's work well w/stan's?

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    The TLR tires are simple to set up and likely more secure on the rim. I tried using a regular Hutchinson Bulldog on my wheel, but couldn't get it to air up. I've heard of people using regular tires, but you have to seat the beads with your thumbs to get them to air up. With the TLR tires, the beads fit nice and tight into the center channel of the rim strip and will seat with a floor pump. The Bontrager Super X is a fast rolling tire - used that on the rear with an XR on the front. Hutchinson makes tubeless ready tires as I'm sure others do to now.