mtbr member
    Feb 2007

Bont. Race Lite Tubeless Opinions

From what I understand, the hub is a dt onyx and the wheelset is claimed at 1800grams.

Anyone have actual experience with these?

I'm looking to get a lighter reliable wheelset. (weight 180, xc rider).

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    They came standard on my ProCaliber and they have been fine so far. No problems. I've got them set up tubeless with the Bontrager black plastic rim strips and valves and it seems to be working great. Anything specific that you want to know?

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    I guess just reliablity and tubeless performance. I know you can't go wrong with the dt hub.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Oh yeah, and lateral stiffness.

mtbr member
    FWIW, I have Race disc's on my EX8 and they are awesome. I have put on several hundred hard miles and are true as can be, and are not all that heavy. I wouldnt not recommend these, they are not that high end, but the Race disc's are awesome, so I assume the Race Lites are more of the same, plus some weight savings. And I've held a pair of Race Lites before, they are definitely nice and light.
    2013 Cannondale F29 2
    2013 Giant Seek 0
    2010 Specialized SX Trail
    2009 Cannondale Rize 4

a.k.a. BicycleKicks

It's a great wheelset

Quote Originally Posted by ibrown
    I guess just reliablity and tubeless performance. I know you can't go wrong with the dt hub.
    I liked this wheelset so much I bought a set of the Race X Lite's for racing and to satisfy my upgradeitis cravings. The claimed weight of the Race Lite's is close to accurate, but does NOT include the 52g plastic rimstrip required in each wheel for tubeless use. That rimstrip works GREAT though. I've had both standard tires without tubes and tubeless tires mounted... never a single problem.

Re: stiffness... they feel plenty stiff to me, but I'm a lightweight.

I've not had a single problem with either of these wheelsets. I think they're great wheels.

In case you're wondering, the deciding factor for me when purchasing my first set was the tubeless rim strip design. I knew I wanted to go tubeless and other than the Mavic 819 or whatever it's called, there really wasn't anything else on the market at the time designed for tubeless use... at least that I was aware of.
    I read that on the internet.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the Race, Race Lite, and the Race X Lite wheels all use the same rims. The difference is in the hubs and spokes. If that is true, then the Race wheels could be run tubeless. The weights posted on the Bontrager site shows the Races being close in weight to the Race Lite (the Race 29 front wheel is lighter than the Race Lite 29 front wheel). I've had mine for 1 year and have had no problems other than the skewers loosening occasionally.

Double-metric mtb man
    The stock skewers kinda suck...the plastic bushings wear really quickly.

I've got the Race Disc's as well (stockers on my Cake). I've run them tubed and tubless (Stans) and they hold air great provided the rubber you choose does well. I'm a Clyde (235+) and ride aggressive XC / moderate AM and after 2000+ miles, I've yet to have to true the wheels.

They aren't the most flashy wheels, but other than that, they seem pretty durable and dependable...can't see the lites being different.
    As if four times wasn't enough-> Psycho Mike's 2013 Ride to Conquer Cancer Page

Moran? Let your opinion be free -> F88me