mtbr member
    Jul 2006

Blown road tires running Stans on Alpha 340's

Recently got some alpha 340 wheels, ran stans with Panaracer Pasela 32 tires. Started at 70psi, road with them for a couple weeks no problems. They started to loose air, so I pumped them back up to about 80psi. About 10min after being pumped up, I heard a loud bang from my garage, which I assume was one of the tires. Didn't think anything of the noise, and found both of the tires blown off the next day.

So did I run the air pressure two high, or are Pasela's bad tires for stans, or both?

mtbr member
    Those aren't tubeless tires. While you might be able to convert mountain tires run at low pressure, standard Seamus beads aren't designed to withstand the stress exerted by typical road inflation pressure.

Curious as to why you thought this would work.
    Tire Design & Development Engineer. The opinions expressed in this forum are solely my own.

mtbr member
    What the hell is Seamus? Damn autocorrect. Meant aramid.
    Tire Design & Development Engineer. The opinions expressed in this forum are solely my own.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by bholwell View Post
    Those aren't tubeless tires. While you might be able to convert mountain tires run at low pressure, standard Seamus beads aren't designed to withstand the stress exerted by typical road inflation pressure.

Curious as to why you thought this would work.
    I see haha. I've been running stans on my mountain rims for 2 years. I've run several different mountain tires with stans, all non-tubeless, and haven't had any issues, so it didn't even occur to me that I might have issues when I started riding road. Makes sense though, thanks for the heads up.