mtbr member
    Oct 2004

black shark mud vs trailraker - Shiggy?

I'm in the latter stages of building up a xc bike for this year. Mainly singletrack, a few races. I'm in the northeast US. Weigh 200 if it matters. I'm planning on using Racing Ralph 2.25's for my standard, not too wet, tires. Maybe a 2.1 on the rear but probably not (comments on that?).

Anyway, thinking about a wet condition/mud tire for the rear. Have heard great things about the Trailraker 2.1 from English riders ( they certainly know wet ). I like the fact that it's not only supposed to be a great mud tire but good on wet roots and rocks. But only available in 1.95 here and I kind of like a little bigger tire. The Schwalbe Black Shark Mud is supposed to be very good in the mud but I'm not sure how it handles roots and rocks. The trails I ride are mostly roots, rocks, loose rocks and dirt and mud holes when it's wet.
    So, any thoughts? What about keeping the Racing Ralph on the front all the time? Or should I swap that out when I go to a mud tire on the rear?

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Either tire is OK on the wet rocks and roots. The TrailRaker is slightly better, the BSM slightly larger.

Do put a mudder on the front, too. The above tires or the BSM 2.25 if you can find it.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common