Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    mtbr member

Black Chili in new Trail Kings 2.2?

Does anyone know if the trail king 2.2 coming with black chili? I still haven't decided on the TK/RQ or the Ardent 2.25 and this will weigh on that decision. If any opinion between the two it will be much appreciated.
    Last edited by Drth Vadr; 03-30-2010 at 06:11 PM. Reason: spelling

g3h6o3
    Mmmmmmm chili!

Edit : Answer from Conti's site : "Rubber Queen 2.2: 3 plies / total 180 tpi / foldable / Black Chili Compound / Handmade in Germany"
    Check out my SportTracks plugins for some training aid software.

mtbr member
    In the Race Kings, the Black Chili makes all the difference..they feel like Velcro !

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Ardent 2.25 would be a world a part from a 2.2 trail/rubber queen even without black chilli. I've got Geax Seguaro which has better cornering grip than the Ardent, and the Seguaro is certainly no All Mountain tire like the trail/rubber queen.

Dirt Deviant
    The only RQ/TK available in the USA with black chili is the 2.4.
    No 2.2 black chili.
    I believe they have them across the pond though.
    Look, whatever happens, don't fight the mountain.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by Drth Vadr
    Does anyone know if the trail king 2.2 coming with black chili? I still haven't decided on the TK/RQ or the Ardent 2.25 and this will weigh on that decision. If any opinion between the two it will be much appreciated.
    The standard TK 2.2 is Black Chilli, The UST/Tubeless TK 2.2 is not.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

rider of bicycles
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy
    The standard TK 2.2 is Black Chilli, The UST/Tubeless TK 2.2 is not.
    Darn, it looks like I'll be waiting even longer to try the Trail King/Rubber Queen. As soon as they make a 2.2 UST or tubeless ready with Black Chili, I'll buy a pair.

There is talk the 2.2 UST may be Black Chilli soon. Now they just need to put a hot stamp on the sidewall so we can tell which are which.
    mtbtires.com

Dirt Deviant
    I recently talked with someone from Conti, and they told me there was no 2.2 TK in the USA in Chili.......hmmmm
    Look, whatever happens, don't fight the mountain.

Quote Originally Posted by savagemann
    I recently talked with someone from Conti, and they told me there was no 2.2 TK in the USA in Chili.......hmmmm
    I have RQ 2.2 w/BC. Double checking on the current TK status.
    mtbtires.com

CHOP!
    Double checking on the current TK status.
    ...Interested in this...

Black Chili in the 2.2 UST would be pretty much amazing...
    It's not where it's made but how it's made.

Bike Breaker.
    Jan 2004
    Thinking of Rubber Queen up front and MK out back. Running rim-strips for tubeless set up (traversee) which versions would be successful with Stans?

Religion = Non-thinking
    My lbs spoke to their conti rep in the us and confirmed the regular 2.2 TK has black chili
    RH SL Pro

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    To end all the speculation about black chilli on these tires ,just bypass the RQ/TK 2.2 and go straight for a Nobby Nic 2.4 Triple nano compound for the terrain you are talking about. As big as the 2.4 RQ/TK as light or lighter than the RQ/TK 2.2, even with snakeskin sidewall protection, better ride with the bigger volume[ it's huge] , better rolling resistance[ very quick for a big tire],probably better grip and cheaper. What more can you ask for!
    Going by those stats I'm not sure the RQ/TQ deserves all the latest attention it is getting on this forum.

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/catego...-nic-24in-9271

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Now they just need to put a hot stamp on the sidewall so we can tell which are which.
    That's what I'm talkin about.

Religion = Non-thinking
    Quote Originally Posted by gvs_nz
    To end all the speculation about black chilli on these tires ,just bypass the RQ/TK 2.2 and go straight for a Nobby Nic 2.4 Triple nano compound for the terrain you are talking about. As big as the 2.4 RQ/TK as light or lighter than the RQ/TK 2.2, even with snakeskin sidewall protection, better ride with the bigger volume[ it's huge] , better rolling resistance[ very quick for a big tire],probably better grip and cheaper. What more can you ask for!
    Going by those stats I'm not sure the RQ/TQ deserves all the latest attention it is getting on this forum.

where can u get the schwalbe tire cheaper than $45?
    RH SL Pro

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    That's a good price if you can get rubber queens with black chilli for $45. I have got Nobby Nic 2.4 evo snakeskin from across the ditch at wiggle Uk for $48. Buy two and you get frree shipping.

In Germany this is how the prices stack up.
    rubber queen 2.2 folding black chilli $58
    rubber queen 2.2 UST no black chilli $44
    MK 2.4 protection black chilli $48
    MK 2.4 supersonic black chilli $42.25
    RK 2.2 supersonic black chilli $44
    nobby nic 2.4 triple Nano $48

So $45 does sound cheap in comparison, unless the new Trail kings for the USA market are a std folding Indian made one and they are now using black chilli?

mtbr member

Did you read the downsides in that article?

I prefer the RQ to the NN. The NN wear too fast, don't grip as well as the RQ for me and the sidewalls are too thin.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by crank1979@optusnet.com.au
    Did you read the downsides in that article?

I prefer the RQ to the NN. The NN wear too fast, don't grip as well as the RQ for me and the sidewalls are too thin.
    I suspect both tires are pitched at different markets. The RQ 2.2 is all mountain/trail crossover little brother of downhill/all mountain RQ2.4. The NN 2.4 is XC tire on steroids for the xc/ trail crossover. So when used as intended the NN 2.4 lasts ok. I don't care anyway as it just comes out of the beer budget. It's all entertainment, drinking or riding

The 2.4 NN is only available in snakeskin so sidewall damage is now limited. I've got black chilli tires and they also wear very quickly. I suspect the RG in black chilli being similar? The RQ does have longer ridge style knobs so I suspect will not tear or wear as easily as NN smaller block style knobs?

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004

I would want to see measurements to believe the NN 2.4 is as big as a RQ 2.4. The RQ 2.4 casing is MASSIVE.

In regards to Black Chili vs Triple-Nano, I have used tires with both triple-nano compound, and IMO, Black Chili is better. Better grip on wet surfaces. I have three Black Chili tires (RQ 2.4, RK 2.2 SS, MK 2.4 Prot) and so far I find that they stick like a soft tire, but wear like hard ones. After about 12 or so, my RQ still has all of its "whiskers", even on the center tread. Granted, it is on the front, but that is still pretty durable rubber to do that. My MK 2.4 protection has about 9 months in the rear and is wearing as well as any tire I've ever owned on the rear.

Also, similar to the Big Betty, you can run the RQ at very low pressure without it rolling/folding in turns, due to the thickened sidewall near the bead. The Big Betty is similar in this respect.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    trail kings 2.2 black chili will exist. I saw in some forums that they showed them at taipei bike show...

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by kapusta
    I would want to see measurements to believe the NN 2.4 is as big as a RQ 2.4. The RQ 2.4 casing is MASSIVE.

In regards to Black Chili vs Triple-Nano, I have used tires with both triple-nano compound, and IMO, Black Chili is better. Better grip on wet surfaces. I have three Black Chili tires (RQ 2.4, RK 2.2 SS, MK 2.4 Prot) and so far I find that they stick like a soft tire, but wear like hard ones. After about 12 or so, my RQ still has all of its "whiskers", even on the center tread. Granted, it is on the front, but that is still pretty durable rubber to do that. My MK 2.4 protection has about 9 months in the rear and is wearing as well as any tire I've ever owned on the rear.

Also, similar to the Big Betty, you can run the RQ at very low pressure without it rolling/folding in turns, due to the thickened sidewall near the bead. The Big Betty is similar in this respect.
    NN 2.4 stretched overnight at 40 psi casing width 59mm tread 60mm. Give it time to stretch it will be over 60 mm.

MK supersaonics after 2 rides centre knob ridges worn smooth. NN still look prestine?. I think Black chilli gives someting like 5 to 10% more life than normal soft compound according to continental. Not ground breaking and not the same as hard compound. NN uses dual compounds[harder in the centre] it appears that continental do not vary black chilli compound across the tire? They do however change balck chilli across tire range. MK may be designed for soft conditions so may have one of their softest compound black chillis?
    Last edited by gvs_nz; 03-28-2010 at 02:38 PM.

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    MK supersaonics after 2 rides centre knob ridges worn smooth. NN still look prestine?. I think Black chilli gives someting like 5 to 10% more life than normal soft compound according to continental. Not ground breaking and not the same as hard compound. NN uses dual compounds[harder in the centre] it appears that continental do not vary black chilli compound across the tire? They do however change balck chilli across tire range. MK may be designed for soft conditions so may have one of their softest compound black chillis?
    Mountain King 2.4 Protection after about 9 months of rear use: I cannot remember the last time a tire still looked this good after 9 months on the rear. Most are about done at this point.

Rubber Queen after around 12 rides, still got the whiskers:

Race King 2.2 SS after about four months of rear use (maybe 20 rides). They still have the little ridges around each center knob.

I have a very hard time believing anyone could call any of these fast wearing. The MK and RK have both held up at least as well as any tire I have run in the back.
    Last edited by kapusta; 03-28-2010 at 07:12 PM.

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    NN 2.4 stretched overnight at 40 psi casing width 59mm tread 60mm. Give it time to stretch it will be over 60 mm.

No, they do not vary the compound across the tire, because they do not need to. My photos above show why. They absolutely wear as long as hard tires. You get that sort of longer wear, but the benefit of a tire that is NOT hard in the middle, and superior wet traction is a result, without the wear of typical softer tires. I do think they vary it from model to model, however. I think the RQ is softer than the others.

I've used triple nano-compound, (Fat albert) and I am not too impressed. Not bad, but just another dual tread as far as I was concerned.

Also, my RQ measures 61mm at the casing with 21mm (inner diameter) rims, and I am having a hard time the NN measures 60mm at the casing with similar rims unless it is sporting some seriously tissue paper thin sidewalls at the weight you are talking about.
    Last edited by kapusta; 03-28-2010 at 07:15 PM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by kapusta
    Mountain King 2.4 Protection after about 9 months of rear use:

Rubber Queen after around 12 rides, still got the whiskers:

Race King 2.2 SS after about four months of rear use (maybe 20 rides). They still have the little ridges around each center knob.

I have a very hard time believing anyone could call any of these fast wearing.
    I beg to differ wrt to the Mountain kings. Absolutely the worst tires i had ever used. Knobs fell off after 2 rides. zero pinch flat protection. thin sidewalls. bad grip.

the rubber queens i have are awesome stuff. like what u said

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast