Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Aug 2011

biggest volume 29er tires

in descending order, for those who know.

i have experience with only the panaracer 2.35 which is a great tire, large volume, but lacks the stickier SC compound. why would panaracer do this, i have no idea.

maxxis ardent 2.4? nobby nics? has anyone had experience with the big tires and measured?

just rode a Norco Shinobi with nevegal 2.2's today, just awesome!

Did I catch a niner?
    I have a Ardent up front and a WWLT out back, both large tires setup tubeless on flows. I have not measured them but they are monsters. The WWLT is a a sticky tire at 40a and is pretty awesome on rocks.

The largest I have heard is the RaRa 2.4 is the largest casing volume.
    Mr. Krabs: Is it true, Squidward? Is it hilarious?
    https://www.dollarshaveclub.com/ref/...A0CC/s/tx/cx/1

change is good
    Sep 2004
    Not the largest, but the FR3 has a thick casing which allows low pressures. Casing seems as big as the Rampages.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    what is the WWLT?? i'm not familiar

Axles of Evil
    Quote Originally Posted by cunningstunts View Post
    what is the WWLT?? i'm not familiar
    WTB Products - Tires - 29er - WeirWolf LT 29er

Unfortunately, not in production anymore.

mtbr member
    I just got a WTB Dissent 2.5, its heavy but lots of volume

aka "SirLurkAlot"
    Mar 2010
    I run a Rampage 2.35 on my Inbred and the Ardent 2.4 on my Milk Money. They're both paired to Ignitors on the rear. The rampage is mounted on a Flow rim and the Ardent is on a Blount.

They're both bigger tires but the Ardent is biggest by far. I've never measured them with calipers.

Now, I've ridden Rampage/Ignitors for years and love them. The Ardent/Ignitors took some time to get comfortable. I put a lot of weight on the front end and carry a lot of corner speed. The Ardent never lost traction but I lacked confidence in it at first. The Rampage tends to "fall" onto the cornering knobs, rail and then slide predictably. The Ardent just sorta rolls onto the cornering knobs which kept me thinking that I hadn't reached them and that it might give or slide. They will slide but you really have to push it and it gets there differently; not better and not worse. It's hard to describe.

Some of it may be the rim profile but they're both wide rims.

I tend to favor the Ardent a little more these days but I like both.

Give them a try. It's a cheap experiment. FWIW, the Ardent was way too sluggish fir me as a rear tire.

mtbr member
    Not sure of the order, but here are a few high volume tires to consider:

Ardent 2.4 - great all around tire, got a 2nd pair this season
    Racing Ralph 2.4 - light, fast, thin walled
    Purgatory Control 2.4
    WTB Dissent 2.5 - downhill tire, very heavy
    Use it, use it, use it while you still have it.

usually cranky
    im betting when the minion comes out it will be the largest 29'' tire, for now an ardent or ra ra takes it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SS-Dad View Post
    WTB Products - Tires - 29er - WeirWolf LT 29er

Unfortunately, not in production anymore.
    They've confirmed at the recent bike shows that it's coming back for 2012, albeit with more aggressive side knobs

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by b-kul View Post
    im betting when the minion comes out it will be the largest 29'' tire, for now an ardent or ra ra takes it.
    For 26" versions the 2.5 Minion is skinnier but taller than a 2.4" Ardent. I dont see why this would change for the 29er market. Then again I think a skinny and tall tire ends up fatter once it's loaded down/ sagged in (using fork terms).

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Purgatory 2.4. I use it on the back of my Judo Ape( Brother to the Karate Monkey). 64mm W x 62mm H on the velocity 35 rims. Tubeless set up , very beefy sidewalls and tread.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by GTscoob View Post
    For 26" versions the 2.5 Minion is skinnier but taller than a 2.4" Ardent. I dont see why this would change for the 29er market. Then again I think a skinny and tall tire ends up fatter once it's loaded down/ sagged in (using fork terms).
    I decided to make the 29er Minion DHF a true 2.5" wide (whereas the 26" version is closer to a 2.4). The volume of the Minion DHF 29x2.5 should be the same as the Ardent 29x2.4 (same width casing), but since the tread is taller on the DHF, the tire will measure taller and wider.
    Tire Design & Development Engineer. The opinions expressed in this forum are solely my own.

I'm with stupid
    Quote Originally Posted by bholwell View Post
    I decided to make the 29er Minion DHF a true 2.5" wide (whereas the 26" version is closer to a 2.4). The volume of the Minion DHF 29x2.5 should be the same as the Ardent 29x2.4 (same width casing), but since the tread is taller on the DHF, the tire will measure taller and wider.

Good news, can we have the same thing happen to the 26" one as well

I tapped that

mtbr member
    Awesome

I've never seen a tire as hyped as this one, it's got some big shoes to fill.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hitechredneck View Post
    Good news, can we have the same thing happen to the 26" one as well

I tapped that
    New molds are hard to justify.
    Tire Design & Development Engineer. The opinions expressed in this forum are solely my own.

psycho cyclo addict
    RaRa 2.4 mounted on a Flow rim is right on the money - 2.4" according to my vernier caliper.

I am running a 2+ year old one on the front of my dual suspension bike and haven't had any sidewall issues on all sorts of terrain including very rocky (Fountainhead, Frederick Watershed and Patapsco). The RaRa 2.25 I had on the rear got one pinhole leak from a rock bash that initially sealed up and then let loose 1/2 way through the next ride. A small patch fixed it.

mtbr member
    I've been running 26 and 29 Dissents this year and like them a lot but the DH 29 tire is just such a pig for AM riding. I don't know why they don't do a Race version of the 29 tire. In 26 it saves 270g over the DH version (according to their specs) so in 29 it would likely offer a 300g savings at least and at that kind of weight I'll bet they could sell a lot more tires since the tread pattern and sticky rubber is great.

Depending on the brand a 2.5" tire can offer a substantial advantage in traction and protection over a 2.35. I did buy a Bontreger 2.35 tire lately in a pinch because that was the best thing they had at the lbs and it was really fat, but the rubber was too hard and it had a center ridge that caused it to spin out on rocks and roots so it only stayed on until the WTB came in. Overall fat is good.
    No it never stops hurting, but if you keep at it you can go faster.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by boomn View Post
    They've confirmed at the recent bike shows that it's coming back for 2012, albeit with more aggressive side knobs
    Thats great news. I am specifically NOT buying one for my new build, because I dont like the way it skates on hard pack cornering (Nor Cal summer).

Leg Shaver
    I have ardent 2.4 on a velocity p35 and it is like riding on donuts

wide rims are everything
    Why are there so many threads about cheap ass bikes?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by squareback View Post
    Thats great news. I am specifically NOT buying one for my new build, because I dont like the way it skates on hard pack cornering (Nor Cal summer).
    Hah, I know how you feel. I'm up in the north valley and I sold my WW after two rides. What good is huge volume if you can't hold enough speed to need that much more cush

rider
    Jan 2005
    Thank you. I'm the guy that was lobbying you to put the ADvantage tread on the 2.4 Ardent casing at the 2010 Sea Otter Classic. Very stoked to hear that there will be both trail and DH versions.
    Abandoned the 26" wheel in May '03

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    is there, or was there ever a WTB Stout in a 29er size? i get the impression from the web that there is/was, but can find little other info about....

rider
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by cunningstunts View Post
    is there, or was there ever a WTB Stout in a 29er size? i get the impression from the web that there is/was, but can find little other info about....
    Yes, there was, I liked it a lot as a front tire given the fact that it was not very high volume. It handled very well in lots of the "out West conditions". I rode it all over California and plenty in Colorado and South West Utah. If the Stout had been made a bit bigger it would have been an amazing tire.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 29erchico View Post
    Really. What, were you living in Crested Butte or something? Friends with Wes Williams?

I'm assuming you didn't go to 24 or 20".
    No it never stops hurting, but if you keep at it you can go faster.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast