Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004

Bigger alternative to Conti Survival Pro?

I'm looking for a new front tire for my bike for east coast fall/winter conditions. A few years ago I tryed everything I could get my hands on, and the Conti survival pro was hands down my favorite front tire for muck and especially wet leaves. The big, pointy, widely spaced knobs penetrated everything. No wonder they look like tractor tires. Anyway I have moved on to biger tires and the survivals are not big enough for me now. The 2.3's are more like 2.1's, and I am used to TRUE 2.3.5's (Nevegals and Blue Grooves).

So, what tractor-like tires are out there in a larger size? I'm looking for gnarly, widely spaced knobs, a true 2.35 or greater width, and I could not care less about rolling resistance, though something under 850 g would be nice.

Thanks

Kapusta

mtbr member
    Why not try the Conti Digga 2.5". Same tread pattern as the Survival but "bigga".

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by KRob
    Why not try the Conti Digga 2.5". Same tread pattern as the Survival but "bigga".
    Yeah, I was looking at that. I think 1200g's may be more than I want to drag around.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by kapusta
    I'm looking for a new front tire for my bike for east coast fall/winter conditions. A few years ago I tryed everything I could get my hands on, and the Conti survival pro was hands down my favorite front tire for muck and especially wet leaves. The big, pointy, widely spaced knobs penetrated everything. No wonder they look like tractor tires. Anyway I have moved on to biger tires and the survivals are not big enough for me now. The 2.3's are more like 2.1's, and I am used to TRUE 2.3.5's (Nevegals and Blue Grooves).

So, what tractor-like tires are out there in a larger size? I'm looking for gnarly, widely spaced knobs, a true 2.35 or greater width, and I could not care less about rolling resistance, though something under 850 g would be nice.

Thanks

Kapusta
    Schwalbe Black Shack Mud 2.25

The Fire FR 2.4 works pretty well in some conditions, too.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common