Thread: Big Patches???

mtbr member

Big Patches???

I've been running tubeless since it came out so patching hasn't been on my mind like it used to be, but lately I've been riding fat tires and most of the time I can't get them to stay on the rim well enough to go tubeless, so I'm having to patch tubes again.

It happened today because of tiny thorn and as I was digging through the patch kit pushing aside those big oblong patches to get to the round ones that I always need I couldn't help but wonder why they even bother to put more than one of those in a kit. If I look though all the old kits that are in the drawer they always have emery paper, a dried up tube of glue and several of those big patches and no little ones, because they were utilized.

I would much rather have 4 or 6 little round patches instead of 2 big oblong ones and if you had a tear you could use 2 small ones in a pinch.

It doesn't seem to matter who the manufacture is they always have the big ones in there.

Does anyone ever use those big patches?

Maybe it a matter of profit and it costs less to put in 2 big ones than 4 little ones.

I tried Stan's in the tube and all that did was make a mess when it got a hole in it.
    No it never stops hurting, but if you keep at it you can go faster.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I use the big ones more often. They work well for snakebites or tears. This seems like something that would be influenced by your riding location/style.

Don't get me wrong, my tubes are covered in both kinds, but I always find myself reaching for the oblong patches first.

mtbr member
    Well, there are probably others like you out there so that may explain it. I only get thorn flats so I just need small patches. Maybe we should swap
    No it never stops hurting, but if you keep at it you can go faster.

mtbr member
    I just cut the big ones in half. They work fine like that.

Tim