mtbr member
    Nov 2009

Big Betty 2.4 vs. Wicked Will FR 2.5 vs. WeirWolf LT race 2010 2.5?

Pro's n' con's please?. Haven't ridden any of them.

Best on hardpack and the like?
    Largest volume tyre? (I have heard that the Big Betty is quite big for a 2,4 and the WeirWolf is kinda small for a 2,5)
    RR?
    Puncture protection?

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Are they on special? That's a diverse range of tires.
    Haven't used either but WeirWolf LT is a 2.3 actual size but would be a good choice for hard pack but has wide thin casing so can't see it having much protection. I have a Nobby Nic 2.4 with snakeskin protection which seems to be good all rounder[ except wet rocks and roots]. Would roll faster than Big Betty and Wicked Will. All would be an overkill for hardpack? Race King 2.2 or Small block 8 is what I would use.

T.W.O.
    +1 on the range of tires. WW LT is considerably smaller than the other 2. For hard pack and you like Schwalbe I'd go with Rocket Ron, Racing Ralph, Furious Fred, or even Nobby Nic. They are light quite grippy I have NN for over a year now have no issue.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Thanks for the replys

It is mostly for dry and wet hardpack, but it needs to work on some loose wet stuff as well. I have run NN's and Racing Ralph's, but I need e little more grip in loose wet soil and i'd like more bounce in the tyre. Thats why I'm looking at the BB and Wicked Will. Does anyone know how big the Wicked Will FR 2,5 is compared to the BB 2,4 and how it rolls? I have heard that the BB should roll quite well, despite it's size and weight. I don't care so much about the weight. I have clearance for a 2,6 tyre, so size is not an issue.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Schwalbe site has Big betty as same ETRTO Nobby NC 2.4[width 62mm] and Wicked will as 64mm. My No Ni 2.4 is close to 62 at 40 psi but doesn't have as much stretch with snakeskin so it pulls back more than Ra Ra and runs quite a bit narrower at 25 psi.Should expect the same from Big Betty and Wicked Will.