Category Winner

Better tire in mud/Comp S Light XC or hutch...

or Hutchinson Scorpion Light(both UST). I am going to La Ruta and these are my tire choices. Lots of mud, but also gravel and road sections. I haven't had a chance to run either in REAL mud.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by teamdicky
    or Hutchinson Scorpion Light(both UST). I am going to La Ruta and these are my tire choices. Lots of mud, but also gravel and road sections. I haven't had a chance to run either in REAL mud.

Hey teamdicky,
    I see no one has answered your question which is a bummer cuz I, too am going to La Ruta and had the same question: What tires?

I have used the Comp S and it was great in mud - I haven't used the Scorpion so can't compare. I do know that my buddy raced airlights in a bunch of endurance races this summer and had a bunch of flats. He is a 135# Mt goat so his weight was not the problem. I don't know if the same would be true for the Scorp lights.

Good luck at 'Ruta - this time next week we will prob be pushing our bikes up some miserably steep muddy hill!

Category Winner

Well isn't that odd..

someone just did a tire swap with me and I ended up with some Comp S light UST's. I read alot of reviews that said the sidewalls were prone to tearing so I sold them. I am putting my faith in the Scorpions. I almost had some Mosquitos overnighted from Nashbar, but I figured I would go with what I know. Too many conditions to have one perfect tire. I wish somebody made a sticky rubber UST.
    I will be down there Wed afternoon. Look for the smallish guy on the Dean single speed.