mtbr member
    Jan 2012

Best XC tubeless tire for I19 rim

Would like to set up my daughters 29" Frequency I19rims tubeless. The crossmarks that came with them just about fall of the rim. I've done Ghetto and Stans system with good results on other applications. Tried 1 strip of Gorilla tape over factory strip; still to loose, Thru a stans rim strip on top of everything and finally got the bead to set(no sealant). Side walls had multiple pin holes. Are the Crossmarks a big diameter tire or the I19's a small rim? What would be a good tubeless XC tire for the I19? I've read some folks say you will need a UST type tire with UST rim for a proper seal. Would like to avoid the rim strip if possible. Thanks, Whit45

mtbr member
    The i19 TCS rims have a set diameter and you should be able to fit a tubeless ready tire on it without tools (as well as remove it). They don't work like Stans systems that require a tight fit to seal.

You can use just about ANY Tubeless Ready tire. Bontrager TLR, Geax TNT, Specialized 2Bliss, Hutchinson Tubeless Ready, Schwalbe TL-Ready all come to mind. Should be able to inflate them with a floor pump. All you need is the rim tape, valve stems, and some sealant.
    Former bicycle mechanic for 8 years, current soil scientist.

Blog

mtbr member
    My WTB Stryker XC's ( first generation i19's) does very well with Ralphs and Rons.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I would get TCS tires from WTB or any UST tire that you like. Beads would lock in the seats better.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Thanks for the all the Info. Would the Specialized S-works The Captain with their 2Bliss bead work. The 2.0 size weighs in at just under 600gr.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Yes The Captain 2Bliss seals up nicely tubeless.
    My garage is a revolving door of bikes, wheelsets, & frames
    www.mtbdeals.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sslikesnake View Post
    Yes The Captain 2Bliss seals up nicely tubeless.
    2nd that

I currently use both S-Works and Control Purgatory 2Bliss 29er tires on LaserDisc Trail TCS rims (21mm internal width) and they seal up with a floor pump.
    Former bicycle mechanic for 8 years, current soil scientist.

Blog

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    If i go with the specialized 2Bliss, I guess I'm stuck dealing with my local dealer and paying full retail, since the online dealers won't ship them. Thanks to all for the info, Whit45

sock puppet
    Quote Originally Posted by Whit45 View Post
    If i go with the specialized 2Bliss, I guess I'm stuck dealing with my local dealer and paying full retail, since the online dealers won't ship them. Thanks to all for the info, Whit45
    or you can buy them on eBay - but local dealers should be able to give you a pretty good price... another tire to consider is Ground Control by Specialized as well - in the same segment as the Captain.

I have tried both and preferred the Ground Control.

Lots of people like the Captain as well - it is a great all around XC tire that can be used for AM as well.