mtbr member
    Aug 2015

Best wheels for 110-lbs female rider?

Hey guys,

My friend purchased her first MB, a 2016 Giant Stance 27.5 in XS. She's very athletic though limited experience riding a MB. Weight and going tubeless is the main reason for the wheel upgrade option here. The tubeless part is important for me since I'm the one pulling over and changing her flats What wheels do you recommend with a budget up to $600? Remember she weights 110-LBS. Thanks!

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/stance-27dot5-1-2016

Barely in control
    Giant Sport Tracker Disc, 32h, [F] 15mm axle, [R] 135x5mm QR

Look at Stans S1 Crest or Raceface Aeffect. These have replaceable endcaps to adapt to the rear 135qr. Also DT 1700 if you can find a deal on them.

passed out in your garden
    as mentioned in the other thread "ghetto tubeless"
    always mad and usually drunk......

mtbr member
    At 110 lbs, you want light wheels. See what you can get from Light Bicycle or Carbon Fan. I built up a set with Carbonfan rims and it cost me ~$600 total.

My 29er 29mm IW wheelset weighs <1650 gm with tape. 27.5 with narrower rims would be less.
    Do the math.

mtbpete
    There a quite a few good custom build options in this price range. Don't forget to to choose a quality hub like a DT Swiss 350.

mtbr member
    Crests with any hub that's not stans, or the flyweight lb rims.

She's light enough to use the ultralight stuff, but there really isn't that many options for crazy light.

Crests with 2.0/1.5 spokes on dt 350's would be great. Lighter than most carbon wheels except the flyweights.

mtbr member
    all right....I'll be the one to say it!

Round ones.....get round ones. With tires.
    The member formerly known as Redtires....

Barely in control
    He could use ones composed of flat edges as long as the number of flat edges was extremely high.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Schulze View Post
    He could use ones composed of flat edges as long as the number of flat edges was extremely high.
    My wife weighs the same, she is an experienced rider and prefers technical terrain. I built her up BHS hubs w/ DT swiss aerolite spokes to Crest Mk3 rims...light, functional at her weight, and came in around $500

This place needs an enema
    Quote Originally Posted by 288GTO View Post
    recommend with a budget up to $600? Remember she weights 110-LBS. Thanks!

You can get a decent set of handbuilt and *light* wheels for about that.

turtles make me hot
    I'd build her a set of Race Face Arcs in whatever width suits her needs laced to Bike Hub Store hubs with triple butted spokes like DT Swiss Supercomps.
    That would be a light, cost effective, great tubeless interface wheelset.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Arch mk3, but if you are on a budget, first check to make sure the rims on it are not already tubeless compatible.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    You could choose a rim with at least 30mm inner width and a very rounded profile high volume modern tire. That combo could be run at less than 13 psi front and 17 rear or until she gets rim hits. Whichever is less. This gives her a tire that won't foldover because the sidewall has more support from the wider rim. She gets a bigger footprint for more cornering and climbing traction. When she does lose traction its slow and progressive with time for recovery. Her confidence will increase and she can develop skills faster.
    That dated rear axle standard of 135 x 5QR makes it tougher to get a premade set.
    American Classic Wide Lightening is 29.3 inner and often discounted to $600.
    You could contact Modern Bike and ask them to order you a pair with a deposit.
    Tires that could work for hardpack with loose and rocks/roots are Bontrager XR2 2.35 Teams or XR1 2.2 Teams. And Maxxis Rekons.
    You could lace her a pair using CarbonFan asym rims, DT350 hubs from Bike24 and Sapim Laser spokes with Sapim Polyax included brass nipples from Dans Comp.
    Here's the building info.
    Wheels Building.
    Carbon would be stronger than aluminum. Those rims aren't too stiff.

BOOM goes the dynamite!
    Quote Originally Posted by MudSnow View Post
    Arch mk3, but if you are on a budget, first check to make sure the rims on it are not already tubeless compatible.
    This was my first thought, too. I thought a lot of the Giants come with tubeless ready rims at least. I'm less concerned that she only weighs 110lbs vs her fitness level. She'll likely gain more by riding and/or taking a skills class than any set of wheels can provide. Bonus - as she learns and inevitably gets some rim strikes, she won't be beating up expensive gear.

mtbr member
    With a dated rear axle standard of 135mm QR, I wouldn’t invest in building up a fancy new set of wheels, even for $600. I would first look at whether her existing wheels can run tubeless, and next look at buying a budget set of lightly used wheels, or maybe super clearance new wheels. There are lots of folks trying to unload old wheels as they upgrade to the boost rear axle standard, I would be looking on eBay, Pinkbike, MTBR classifieds.