mtbr member
    Jan 2008

Best UST tire..dry, Nobby Nic or Ignitor

I recently bought a pair of Mavic ST rims that can do UST, tried sealing my non-UST Kenda Nevegals with Stans and they would not hold air for more then a few hours, I think due to the ribbed bead. I like the Nevegals alot for grip and confidence but was thinking of buying a true UST tire that would seal well enough without using Stans liquid AND was also thinking of trying a faster UST tire such as Shwalbe Nobby Nic or Maxxis Ignitor any opinions on this?
    The 2.1 UST versions both weigh a few ounces less then the Stick-E Nevegals with tube.

mtbr member
    I run 2.35 Ignitor USTs. They work great in dry, rocky areas for me. They are very durable, but that comes at too much of a weight hit for me, so I'll be dropping down to something a little lighter. I'm 140lbs on a hardtail, and pushing a pair of 800+ gram tires around is not very fun.

Kendra recommends against using Stans, and a few members can confirm this.

Also, look into using Slime Pro. I use it on my USTs for thorn protection (ride in desert terrain), but I've used it on TLR tires that need sealant successfully. Supposedly it is less caustic (for lack of a better word) than Stans.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Thanks for Slime Pro hint, it seems most UST 2.3x tires with some tread are around 750+ grams, so I was going to save a few ounces and stick with the 2.1's which my current Nevegals are. The Nobby Nic UST is 675 gms, I was just not sure it would have enough grip for me, I worry about damp rocks/roots in the East.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Neither of these tires are comperable to the traction of the nevegal.

I'd suggest the Fat Albert for a more direct comparison...it rolls almost as well as the NN.