Mr. Knowitall

New question here. Best tube patches?

I am starting to get a collection of tubes to be patched for reuse, and I found that i do not have enough patches to go around. then I started to think a bit. What are the best patches? I do not mind glue-type patches, as I have some worse than desired experience with the durability of glueless (although they usually hold air for a while after fixing the puncture).

So: best patch kit on the market - or pick and match types where I can get the actual patch size I want and not the ones "found useful by the manufacturer". I do not want the type where you cut your own patches - too much hassle.

Please, wise forum people: help my patching!

-Kristian

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    I have always had good luck with the traditional Rema patches, in the green plastic box. If you're patching more than a few punctures, you can get the patches in bulk quantities on Amazon. They sell the 25mm patches in boxes of 100. You can also get the vulcanizing fluid (glue) in 8 oz cans.

That's a lot of patching.
    Justin
    Salt Lake City
    2012 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp 29
    2006 Specialized Allez Expert Double

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator

Best tube patches?

Quote Originally Posted by authalic View Post
    I have always had good luck with the traditional Rema patches, in the green plastic box. If you're patching more than a few punctures, you can get the patches in bulk quantities on Amazon. They sell the 25mm patches in boxes of 100. You can also get the vulcanizing fluid (glue) in 8 oz cans.

That's a lot of patching.
    Agreed. Rema is my favorite. Buy a kit or two then fill in with the bulk patches. Rema has (at least) two different diameter round patches. Many shops have the bulk packs and sell them individually.
    How to Patch an Inner Tube
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    never heard of the Rema,.. but they sound good. I've found pretty much any of the glue type work fine.. usually get the Parks kit as that's what the local shops round here carry, but also have used the Bell and other cheaper versions that you can get at the local department store and have never had an issue (thou they do seem heavier/bulkier than the better branded ones)
    Going to try and bring Trail Tire TV back. go take a look... http://trailtiretv.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Rema for the patches!

I normally just use rubber cement in a tub when I patch at home and have never had an issue. I do keep an unopened tube of vulcanizing solution for roadside repairs. I never trust that once I open the tube that it'll be liquid the next time I need it. Those glue tubes are pretty much one time use only.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    The best and cheapest patch material is an old tube. Use cut up pieces of old tube and vulcanizing glue. Make sure the mating surfaces are scuffed a bit with sandpaper and clean them really good with rubbing alcohol.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by DYI01 View Post
    The best and cheapest patch material is an old tube. Use cut up pieces of old tube and vulcanizing glue. Make sure the mating surfaces are scuffed a bit with sandpaper and clean them really good with rubbing alcohol.
    I do that with Latex tubes but never gave it a thought for normal tubes. I am sure with the Napa vulcanizing glue which is the best I have used so far it ought to work great with your method. A added bonus is being able to size your own patch for narrow road tubes.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator

Best tube patches?

Quote Originally Posted by DYI01 View Post
    I much prefer the feathered edges of patches.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by GTscoob View Post
    I never trust that once I open the tube that it'll be liquid the next time I need it. Those glue tubes are pretty much one time use only.
    If you push the glue up to the top of the opening and then screw on the cap, there isn't any air in the tube and the glue lasts for a really long time (years).

no trees are safe
    Had the best experience with Thumbs Up patches in the long tern . They're stiff and don't tend to tear or separate after a while like some other manufacturers do and they're cheap. Only pain is getting the paper off. Then again. I've never used self adhering patches or something similar. I just carry 2 tubes in my backpack and swap them when I get a puncture. Then I patch it at home with a pressure clamp for at least 12 hours. Always seemed sufficient enough.

BTW to be honest, seems to me, that many brands just order patches from the same factories and sell them under their own name.