Thread: Best Tires

mtbr member
    Sep 2006

Best Tires

I'm looking for new tires for my Trek Fuel 80. I want something with more traction than the bontrager jones xr. What do you guys think about the Big Earls on a Fuel 80? Is that too much?

banned
    Probably. But we probably need to know the terrain, your size and are you a racer type or a trailrider. I think that the fact that you are on a Fuel kinda puts you in between. Look for large volume tires like the Hutchinson Spyder (Shiggy's go-to tire) or Geax Sturdy's, Panaracer Rampage, Kenda Nevegal. Any of these tires could fit the bill.

mtbr member
    I had Clearance Problems with Big Earls 2.4. Packed mud on the frame and chain. Go with Eddie and Shiggs recomendation, try the Hutchinson Spiders. Great all condition tire. Very little rolling resistance even on pavement. I just mounted some I like them alot. Freakishly quiet on pavement. I just finished my 14 mile loop. I really like these tires.
    Hooked up on the steepest climbs and cornered well on the way down. Very fast tire.
    Last edited by doug4sail; 07-17-2007 at 01:11 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Yeah, the Spider 2.0 is a decent size, or go 2.3 if you have the clearance. I don't quite have room for the 2.3 on my '01 Stumpy, so the 2.0 is the size I run.