mtbr member
    Oct 2012

Best setup for swapping off-road for hybrid?

Riding a Soma Juice (man, I love this bike) 1x10 with Arch EX 29er wheels and Nobby Nics. I ride on the road to most trails which are medium dirt with leaves and some roots. My cardio comes from the road but I enjoy the trails for the sheer maneuvering that comes with it. My NN's are pretty rough on the roads and I'd like something smoother.

Would it be easier to just have a second set of tires and wheels? How would you handle?
    ★★★★ My 2012 Soma Juice build ★★★★

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Well, its certainly more expensive to have two sets of wheels, but that is what I am doing. However, you are riding to the trails...

My biggest problem is finding a good tire for road/dirt road that gives good rolling resistance - i.e. fast.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by iCollector View Post
    Well, its certainly more expensive to have two sets of wheels, but that is what I am doing. However, you are riding to the trails...

My biggest problem is finding a good tire for road/dirt road that gives good rolling resistance - i.e. fast.
    With no tubes on my current setup is it a PIA to change tires out, either to tubeless or back to tubes and then back to tubeless?

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I find having to go through all that makes it worth having two sets of wheels. Others may chime in on their views.

mtbr member
    I ride a custom road wheel set on my mtb on the road, and an AM wheel set off road. It's worth it, no adjustments are needed when switching wheels, since the hubs and cassette are identical.
    Hey everybody, ride my wheels! They ride good, real good.
    I'm a wheel builder. SRLPE Wheel Works. Send me a PM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Is a tubless setup possible/recommended for what I am after here?

mtbr member
    Yes, a number of road riders are successfully riding tubeless on the road. With higher tire air pressures required as the tire width and volume decreases, you need to have two layers of Stans tape on the rims to seal the spoke holes. Even then, the tape will dimple at the spoke holes. There are tubeless tires available in many sizes.

Quote Originally Posted by ddublu View Post
    Is a tubless setup possible/recommended for what I am after here?
    Hey everybody, ride my wheels! They ride good, real good.
    I'm a wheel builder. SRLPE Wheel Works. Send me a PM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Can I put a tubed setup on the Arch EX wheels? Any tire recommendations for smoother tread pattern in the middle and some knobs on the outside?

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Could put a tube in anything if you want. For tires look at anything with a fairly 'dense' center I have Maxxis Crossmark UST 29in tires, and they excel on asphalt for an MTB tire when pumped to 50lbs. You did not say what size - 29 has less of a choice, and the Crossmark UST are fairly heavy, but come in a non-ust version as well. I don't have a lot of trail time on them, but they seem Ok if you don't need killer traction, but I will be running these at lower pressure on the trails of course.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by iCollector View Post
    Could put a tube in anything if you want. For tires look at anything with a fairly 'dense' center I have Maxxis Crossmark UST 29in tires, and they excel on asphalt for an MTB tire when pumped to 50lbs. You did not say what size - 29 has less of a choice, and the Crossmark UST are fairly heavy, but come in a non-ust version as well. I don't have a lot of trail time on them, but they seem Ok if you don't need killer traction, but I will be running these at lower pressure on the trails of course.
    Ended up going with the Forte Tsali 29 2.2 tires....swapped them out and stayed tubeless....think I am going to like them enough to not warrant an extra set of wheels and tires. Thanks all.