mtbr member
    Jan 2012

best rim width for maxxis 2.5 and 2.3 wanna lace up new rims?

opinions here.... im a bit over analytical on this stuff but any opinion appreciated. it may be a bit redundant from the last thread i was in so i though i would be more specific. im thinkin of miss matching rim widths if its ideal. want to run maxxis 2.5 up front and maxxis 2.3 in the rear. im on i22 now with 2.3 front and rear. i weigh 155 currently and have been on a good run climbing my local strava leaderboards. just lookin to maximize corner grip although we have alot of berms at my fav local place. im either gonna swap between dhr2 2.4 and dhf2.5 up front and aggressor 2.3 or minion ss 2.3 in the rear.
    was thinkin flow mk3 front and normal flow rear. or maybe flow mk3 rear also and square off the rear tire more?

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Just use flow mk3 for both front and rear, no issue

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    No need to have different rim width, rims with I'd from 26-30 should work out fine

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

I'm with stupid
    30 inner is what I run and it works well for both 2.3 and 2.5

I am Walt
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadow4eva View Post
    Just use flow mk3 for both front and rear, no issue

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ^^This

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Ride more; post less...

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    i22 rim requires pressure to keep the sidewall from folding over in cornering when you encounter ruts or make a quick line change. If the tire folds over the tread loses contact and the tire can quickly slide out for a crash. Go to a wide rim and the right rounded profile tire gets good sidewall support for no foldover. With that you can lower the pressure for a bigger footprint and better traction. And you may be able to go to a faster rolling tire with smaller lower height knobs because of the bigger footprint.
    I'd drop the older designed 2.3 Maxxis tires for a new Rekon or other tire designed to not square off on wide rims. 30-35mm for these newer designs is what Maxxis is recommending.

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    I was recently advised by a wheelbuilder that the DT Swiss XR 391 would be a slightly better choice over either of the Stanís. They also have a better finish. Posting a pic of the wheels for my new HT. They are 18 mm deep, 25 inner with 29 outer. I have a 2.3 Maxxis Aggressor on the front with a 2.25 Ardent on the rear. Have not ridden them yet as I wait for my custom build. Skipped carbon but not duebest rim width for maxxis 2.5 and 2.3 wanna lace up new rims?-0b12951b-578d-4004-b2cc-78db7816ee0d.jpgbest rim width for maxxis 2.5 and 2.3 wanna lace up new rims?-1102f043-b4a9-4f86-b0d7-4639e3f6cc8e.jpg to price. They are hooked up to Project 321 quiet model. Rim weighs 440 grams. Rear hub is under 300. Requested wheels to be inflated and ready to roll right out of the box. They did exactly that and no trace of Stanís anywhere. Very pleased!

mtbr member
    Carbonfan 29mm IW asym rims were my choice. Totally happy with them after ~1.5 years.
    Do the math.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I've decided to go with i25 rear as I'll never go over a 2.3 I'm not even sure if my frame permits and there seems to be a lot of people agreeing that it gets a little square when you go bigger...
    I'm going to probably go i29 or i30 in the front with a 2.5.
    . DT Swiss seems have a lighter i30 the Xm418 I believe.... not strong for the rear as the xm511 but 90 grams lighter'm sure I'll be okay with it for a front.....
    I've been doing okay with i22 so far pushing deep in the corners.... I'm just going to wear out my current rubber before I make the investment to rims and tires now
    Last edited by akiracornell; 03-12-2018 at 09:00 PM.

hispanic mechanic
    Quote Originally Posted by akiracornell View Post
    I've decided to go with i25 rear as I'll never go over a 2/3 I'm not even sure if my frame permits and there seems to be a lot of people agreeing that it gets a little square when you go bigger... and I'm going to probably go 29 or 30 in the front with a 2.5.
    . DT Swiss seems a lighter 30 mil X4 18 I believed.... not the strongest for the rear but I'm sure I'll be okay with it..... I've been doing okay with i22 so far pushing deep in the corners.... I'm just going to wear out my current river before I make the investment
    If youíre going to be spending any real time on that Minion SS, I would definitely not recommend going wider than i25. Thatís what Iím using, and I think if the rim were any wider Iíd be dragging the side knobs.

Los
    Whiskey is my yoga.

dongerparty.com

Bannėd
    Quote Originally Posted by sslos View Post
    If youíre going to be spending any real time on that Minion SS, I would definitely not recommend going wider than i25. Thatís what Iím using, and I think if the rim were any wider Iíd be dragging the side knobs.

Los
    29x2.3 Minion SS worked fine on my NOX Farlows with i29. No dragging, no noticeable wear on the inside edges of the side knobs.
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    That's more than Catfish would do.

hispanic mechanic
    Quote Originally Posted by Trevor Ochmonek View Post
    29x2.3 Minion SS worked fine on my NOX Farlows with i29. No dragging, no noticeable wear on the inside edges of the side knobs.
    Good to know!

Los
    Whiskey is my yoga.

dongerparty.com