mtbr member

Best Place For Cutom Wheels

Where's the best place to have a set of custom wheels built. I've built a few pairs years ago, but I prefer to leave it to the pros.

Maromero
    Check Dave's Speeddream site or Mike García's oddsandendos

I love Pisgah
    Another vote for Mike Garcia. He's da mon. Building a custom front 24 hole Marwi ti spoke/alloy nipped 3.1 UST rim'd front as you read this, to match the rear he build for me 4 races ago.

http://oddsandendos.safeshopper.com/index.htm?731

Who are the brain police?
    Agreed. I've heard good things about Oddsandendos, and I know from experience that Dave makes great wheels (expensive, but great). Dave will talk to you about how and what you ride and put together wheels that make sense for you.

See http://www.mtbr.com/reviews/Wheelset...ct_23649.shtml

...But I don't think you need to necessarily take that route. My current set was built locally and it's bomb proof. Just ask around and find someone with a good reputation.
    The Who - Glittering Girl
    Ween - The Grobe
    Yellowman - Strong Me Strong
    all your base are belong to us

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Mikes da mon

Quote Originally Posted by Duckman
    Another vote for Mike Garcia. He's da mon. Building a custom front 24 hole Marwi ti spoke/alloy nipped 3.1 UST rim'd front as you read this, to match the rear he build for me 4 races ago.

http://oddsandendos.safeshopper.com/index.htm?731
    Mikes the dashizzle!!!! And in Florida, I was looking at having them built on the west coast and didn't feel comfy with that idea. I live in Florida so it's a big plus. Mike knows wheels, thats for sure. Not only is he technical, he knows the manufacturing buisness in and out. He is building me a hope bulb XC disc,mavic XM819 wheelset. Can't wait to strap em on!!
    I tried for 6 days to get in touch with Dave at speedreams and kept getting a machine. Left several messages and never got a call back. Needless to say I was dissapointed because of the great feedback that Dave Thomas has recieved on this site. I would go with Mike Garcia at oddsandendos.com

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I recently ordered a pair of custom wheels, CK Classics and Mavic X517's, from BikeWorld. The price was a few bucks less than what I was seeing out there. I've beat them up for the past several months and they're holding up quite well. They came will pretty even tension.

mtbr member
    May 2004

webcyclery

I had some Kings laced with non-butted spokes to mavic heavy XC type rims built at www.Webcyclery.com. I have had them for about 2 years. I am 215lbs, and ride XC, with bumps and small (2-2.5 foot) drops. I am not a finesse rider. I have had to do some minor truing on two occasions. Other than that, no problems, these rims are sweet.

featherweight clydesdale
    Quote Originally Posted by lextek
    Where's the best place to have a set of custom wheels built. I've built a few pairs years ago, but I prefer to leave it to the pros.
    Another vote for Mike Garcia. I've built 2 wheels (relacing existing pattern to new rim), and do my own trueing, but decided to leave the build to a pro. It made sense on a time/cost basis too. I don't have any personal experience with his wheels yet, but I've heard enough good stuff here that I got him to build me a set a few days ago.

He spent almost a half hour on the phone discussing the build. I was actually trying to walk out of the office cause I was late for a ride, but I kept talking with him because it was just interesting to have someone give that level of service.

Kam
    A hopped on pop.

a few choices...

www.oddsandendos.com
    www.mtnhighcyclery.com
    www.dmvwrks.com
    www.speeddream.com

all are good builders, will give ya what you want and will take care of you better than the big guys!!!

cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by lextek

Now with 3 more inches!

Mike Garcia

I can't recommend Mike Garcia highly enough. His service and pricing is excellent. I'm loving the King ISO/DT 4.1d/supercomp set he just built for me. He also has a great 2 year repair policy.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

www.gravywheels.net

San Anselmo, CA. Very cool dude too....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by The Don
    San Anselmo, CA. Very cool dude too....
    Gravy seems very, interesting.....