mtbr member
    Jun 2009

Best MTB tubular tire?

Hi.

What's your experiences?
    What's the best 26" tubular MTB tire for XC racing?
    Any links to test's?

aka 'Grover'
    My findings and observations.

Dugast Rhino XL are the gold standard. I found the 47mm to be very versatile, performing well in all conditions but shining in damp/rooty conditions. Be sure to aquaseal the entire sidewall to protect from moisture and rocks. The ride quality is also the most comfortable of anything I've used. They have a new tread pattern coming out which should be better in dry conditions but I have no experience with it.

Schwalbe are quite low volume and puncture quite easily. I'd stay clear.

Tufo XC2 Plus and XC4 feel quite nice, the later being the biggest volume tubular I've seen. I'd stay away from the lower TPI count tubulars from Tufo though that feel very rigid. The XC4 weighed the same as my Rhino XL 47mm tubs and measured 54mm. If you only race in dry/rocky conditions I'd opt for the XC4 over Dugast.

I like the feel of Challenge road tubulars so am eager to try the new Challenge MTB1 tubular but haven't got my hands on some yet.

Geax Saguaro are heavy and very rigid, again I'd stay clear.

Dry Only - Tufo XC4
    All Conditions - Dugast Rhino XL 47mm

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I'm pretty new into the tubular world..
    Just tried the xc2 plus from Tufo.. Feel's like flying when climbing but the grip ain't good anough when the course got technical..

I guess the XC4 or Dugast 47 is the choise when it got technical then.
    What about the rolling recistance?
    On a maraton race with just small technical challenges and high speed, is the tufo xc2 the right choise then?

I like the easy way with tufo using tape, but if it's something much better out there the glue have to come out from the locker..

Anyone got som romuors about other tires that will be coming soon?
    I'm a big faan of the Conti tires, I would really like them to come in tubular..

aka 'Grover'
    i think the xc2 plus is probably the right choice for a marathon with minimal technical challenge. it rolls well and is the lightest of the bunch.

however i think the more important question would be are tubulars the right choice for a marathon? what if you flat? are there technical zones spaced every 5km where you'll have spare wheels? i don't know of any marathons like this so if you flat a tubular you're a DNF.

my opinion is tubulars are only for olympic distance where tech zones are available, or short track racing where a flat puts you out of contention so there's no requirment to need to fix one.

Here is the Dugast Fast Bird. http://www.jpracingbike1.com/Dugast-...-bbJaaaloa.asp

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    If you flat you are either lucky to do it near a technical zone. If not it's DNF and try again next race.
    But I find the risk for a flat very low in a maraton race with minimal technical parts so I take the chance..

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    The Fast Bird lookes really good..
    Can it be used with the tofo tape? Or do I have to glue..

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by aussie_yeti
    ...Geax Saguaro are heavy and very rigid, again I'd stay clear...
    I just received a pair of Saguaro 29" tubulars and they are far from rigid.

They have the identical tread to the clincher version (but softer compound) so is knobbier than the other options. This does stiffen to tire a bit and adds weight (~750g).

Supple casing that measures ~53mm wide.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

aka 'Grover'
    Ok not 'very rigid', rather I found them to be more rigid than the Tufo XC4 or Dugast Rhino XL. It is a subjective measurement after all.