mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Best LIGHTEST UST tubeless tire

I started this as a separate thread to get down to exactly what me and I'm sure others want to know. Best LIGHTEST UST tire. I'm not a downhiller, I'm a 160 lb cross country kind of rider who wants to try tubeless without the heavy tire penalty. And, please, state how much the tire you nominate weighs. Please don't state that tubeless tires weigh almost the same because the tires I run weigh run 580g or less--plus tires and rim strips we're talking maybe 710 g (like the Panaracer Fire XC 120 tpi). See my comments below on a "tubeless?" thread on why I'm hesitant. Thanks!

mtbr member
    The Weight Weenies has a pretty big listing. I run Stans rim Strips so
    I can run just about any tire. I really dont know about the best Ust but here are the weights.

http://weightweenies.starbike.com/listings.php

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    The bontrager XR TR are 2.25 for the front and 2.0 for the back and the are 580g and 525g. It says that you need to use sealant though so you are going to add weight with that.

The maxxis Ignitor UST in 2.1 is 657g. The High Roller UST is 680. Of course you can add sealant but you don't have to with a true UST tire.

What are you getting at about weight? I think the weights roughly even out between tubless and tubed. You don't need a tube so you are losing that weight in the UST. UST weigh more so you are gaining there. You do get the benefits of going UST - lower pressure for example. If you want the absolute lowest weight tubeless you are going to have to run a system like stans.

Personally, I am going to be trying the maxxis ignitors in the spring and see how they are.

mtbr member
    why not just (continue to?) run non-ust tires with rim strips if weight is a major concern. if you really want to go UST and like the FireXCs i think the UST version is ~750g, settling for a lesser tire just to save 100g is probably not worth it IMO but that's your call

mtbr member
    Apr 2005

my hutchinson

pirhannas came in at 635g's each. these are the UST light version. they are claimed
    at 590!

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    540g for Fast Trak LK Sworks 2Bliss

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

That's what I'm talking about

Quote Originally Posted by Speedster
    I had heard that in the beginning they were beefing up the sidewalls bigtime just to make the UST concept work on mountain bikes and that contributed to the higher weights. If this tire you mention is indeed 540g, is strong enough for at least normal riding and actually rolls and bites like we'd all want---well, there must have been some re-thinking on the part of UST tire engineers or some technological breakthrough. Either way, the idea of actually dropping weight per wheel by going tubeless had never occurred to me!

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    I don't have enough miles on the Fast Trak to assess the strenght/durability. From what I read they were supposed to weigh in at 510 but were a bit more when weighed at LBS. They seem to roll very well but I'm new at MTB and I'm coming from a slow beefy Spec Resolution tire. I know that going all out down hill it's a bit squirly but if you want fast it is.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

I just checked out Specialized website

I don't have enough miles on the Fast Trak to assess the strength/durability. From what I read they were supposed to weigh in at 510 but were a bit more when weighed at LBS. They seem to roll very well but I'm new at MTB and I'm coming from a slow beefy Spec Resolution tire. I know that going all out down hill it's a bit squirly but if you want fast it is.
    and they didn't list weights for this line of tires. My LBS is used to me showing up with my digital scale. I try not to look like a weight weenie but I do it guilt free knowing one tire can weigh 30g more than another one just like it. Knocking an ounce of rotating weight off my wheels at no cost sounds like a bargain to me.

Deere Rider
    Is that weight for the 1.9 or the 2.0? In the tire descriptions they say it is "sealant friendly" (in the 1.9 description) and the tires have a "tube type casing" with a tubeless bead. This sounds like Bontrager's Tubeless-Ready tires which need sealant to hold air. Is this the case for this new Specialized casing? This, in my opinion, is where more tubeless tires need to go to cut the fat that is not necessary for normal trail riding and then you have the sealant to make it nearly flat-proof.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Hi,

Just bought yesterday a pair of Fast Trak SLK S-Works 2-Bliss Tire and they weight 501/2g, they are 1.9 and sealant friendly.

Does any one know the weight of the Fast Trak LK S-Works 2-Bliss Tire and Fast Trak LK Pro Tubeless Tire ( both in 2.0)

I`m assuming that the low knobs aren`t going to last to long...

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    Are you completely sold on UST?

If you have UST rims, just buy your favorite lightweight non-UST tire and mount it up with a cup of Stans. Combined weight of the tire and sealant will be lower than most of the UST offerings, and your tire selection will be much better.

You don't HAVE to run a sealant with a true UST tire, but then you just open yourself up to puncture flats.

I started with UST tires and now I have completely abandoned them. They are either too heavy or too small and there just aren't enough options out there.

JMH

mtbr member
    When you mount non tubeless on a tubeless rim, youre facing an uphill cardio workout without a compressor, right?
    I have XL's and a Stan's Olympic. Some Tubeless have beads that dont stay in the rim channels well, it seems a compressor wouldve been good, so I figure the tubed tires would need a compressor even moreso.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    nevgals may be heavy but they work great in every condition I ride in. muddy, sandy, hard pack. hook up on climbs, dig in on flats and stick lik evelsro on the corners. I will deal with a little more weight for deffinate control in every condition. so what if the tire is 75g lighter if you can't hook up on a climb or eat it on a turn.
    don't sweat the petty things, and pet the sweaty things

trail fairy
    My big secret now don't tell everyone

Schwalbe
    Racing Ralphs 2.1 UST very fast awesome tire best UST ive had Ive run UST since the start Ive always been a believer.

More Trail XC
    Schwalbe
    Nobby Nics 2.1 UST fast but have the awesome traction both these tires use triple comound technology theyre not cheap but if ya want the best performace to add to yr bike these are it IMO ive ridden them in most conditions on varying terrain.

I have em on all my bikes, RR for racing NN for trail BBs for light FR unusual to get this quality across a range but Scwalbe have it dialled at the mo.

Oh out perform the Kenda's imo

Good luck the ultimate tire is a hard one every one is different so while these suit me well they may not be to your liking, but I love em
    Just riding a muddy trail. . ..

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

emtb.pl
    Quote Originally Posted by trailadvent
    My big secret now don't tell everyone

Schwalbe
    Racing Ralphs 2.1 UST very fast awesome tire best UST ive had Ive run UST since the start Ive always been a believer.

More Trail XC
    Schwalbe
    Nobby Nics 2.1 UST fast but have the awesome traction both these tires use triple comound technology theyre not cheap but if ya want the best performace to add to yr bike these are it IMO ive ridden them in most conditions on varying terrain.
    :
    Have you tried non-UST schwalbe with stan's?
    I'm going to try following setup this year:
    F&R Mavic 819 UST rims with NobbyNic 2.25 non-tubeless&stan's for trail and marathon
    Any thoughts?

trail fairy
    Have you tried non-UST schwalbe with stan's?
    I'm going to try following setup this year:
    F&R Mavic 819 UST rims with NobbyNic 2.25 non-tubeless&stan's for trail and marathon
    Any thoughts?
    I have Ive run Racing Ralphs non ust, very light with stans, using a stans olympic rim and a bonty mustang I converted to UST with Bontys rim strip very good lighter than UST and quick, but I only use them for racing as the sidewalls are very light for trail I'd kill them easliy, but them Im a monster on the trail, I have no flex or sidewall issues when racing however best Ive used for me

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

mtbr member
    I use the Hutchinson Python UST light tires. I forget the weight, but they weigh less than most UST type tires, but they are heavier than the non-UST Python Airlight.

I have used the Pythons extensively, riding and racing, and I have used both UST and non-UST with Stans and rim strip. My personal opinion, the heavier sidewall of the UST version makes for much better performance. I used the non-UST Airlight Pythons with Stans sealant and rim strip originally. This was a super lightweight setup, and I was happy with it for awhile. But, when the UST light Python came out, I tried it. It felt much more surefooted when the terrain was very rough and rocky. I found it to be much better performing than the non-UST Stans setup. I think this is due to the casing on a non-tubeless type tire being designed for use with a tube. When you go tubeless with such a tire, there is a bit of a performance penalty. Though it does make for a light wheel.

emtb.pl
    I have Ive run Racing Ralphs non ust, very light with stans, using a stans olympic rim and a bonty mustang I converted to UST with Bontys rim strip very good lighter than UST and quick, but I only use them for racing as the sidewalls are very light for trail I'd kill them easliy, but them Im a monster on the trail, I have no flex or sidewall issues when racing however best Ive used for me
    I hope sidewalls on Nobby's are thicker! 2,25 are around 580g each wich is 100g more than Ralphs.
    I'm not worried about wheels - can't imagine anything more solid under 1800g than CK hubs&819 rims. Only not sure if nic's can follow where I go.
    I'll see for myself if nic's can go tubeless.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Hi

What about the new larsen TT LUST? 560 g (1.9) they seem more a everyday use tyre, as they have long knobs ( not like the ultra light Fast trak slk or other with super short knobs). Has anyone tried them?

trail fairy
    I hope sidewalls on Nobby's are thicker! 2,25 are around 580g each wich is 100g more than Ralphs.
    I'm not worried about wheels - can't imagine anything more solid under 1800g than CK hubs&819 rims. Only not sure if nic's can follow where I go.
    Ive ridden lots of tires not as many as the shigtester no doubt but Im fussy about em for sure and Im not light, but Im certainely not trying to convince anyone on Schwalbes I'll be happy to have them all for myself since they are my fav weapon, I need all the help I can get on hills going up down no issues

I run UST NNs love and also 2.4 Evolutions which are lighter than the 2.1 UST and have no sidewall issues and I jump the crap out of em

Hi

What about the new larsen TT LUST? 560 g (1.9) they seem more a everyday use tyre, as they have long knobs ( not like the ultra light Fast trak slk or other with super short knobs). Has anyone tried them?
    Yep love the Larsen TT UST lust a fav tire not the fastest but it holds its own has great traction a nice rear tire in the right conditons for close spacing it works well in slippery conditons as well, Ive just found the NN faster grips as well but corners better imo

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

emtb.pl
    I run UST NNs love and also 2.4 Evolutions which are lighter than the 2.1 UST and have no sidewall issues and I jump the crap out of em
    I already have a pair of new NNs 2.25 and waiting for stan's to arrive. I Had NNs last season and know their grip
    I just want to get rid of tubes without gaining 200g per wheel when going UST. (NN 2.25=580g, NN UST 2.25=780g) 400g rotaiting weight

And that's why I wondered if anyone tried NN 2.25 tubeless but non UST

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by krolik
    A 2.25 Racing Ralph is ~520g, not 480g. The 2.10 is ~470g.

I expect the Nobby Nick to be heavier as it has much more tread rubber which is the heaviest material in any tire (excluding wire beads).

The Racing Ralph UST 2.10 comes in just under 700g.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    The prices of Schwalbe UST is through the rooof, $74.95 msrp!!!
    I'd vote best UST as Hutchinson Spiders, for Northeast conditions. The 2.3 (750g)UST seems to be discontinued, Cambria has a buy 1 @ $29.95, get one half off. They have the silver stripe.
    I dont like the tire where there's sharp rocks (with all that open tread) but everywhere else!
    I wish Kenda's were sealant friendly, that sux!

mtbr member
    May 2006
    My Kenda Nevegal's are the only tire that has not failed due to what I think are sealant issues. So far I have worn out three pairs.

Ones that have Panaracer Fire XC Pro, Nokian Mount and Ground.

The sealant issue remains confusing to me.