mtbr member
    Nov 2011

New question here. Best Cheap China Hub

What is the best China hub these days?

Something with a decent weight and a decent engagement system...

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Novatec hubs are pretty solid, they use Japanese sealed bearings and 3 pawl, 24 poe ratchet systems. There are various levels but gennerally their D041/042 SB hubs are inexpensive but very durable with cro-mo axles and freehub body. You can find these on E-bay fro around $60-$80 a set shipped. The D711/712 SB hubs use aluminum axles and freehub bodies that significantly cut the weight. These usually come out of Taiwan and run around $120-$130 on Ebay. I've used a few Novatec hubs over the years and will be building up a new wheelset this winter using them. You can also get them from BDop Cycling (though for more money than E-bay) and get replacement parts.
    Origin 8 Scout 29
    Rodriquez Adventure

Blog

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Never tried them but like the Whisp said Novatech came up a lot in my search. They are featured on $6k+ Intense factory bikes if that means anything. Should be getting my wheels in a few weeks so will know more then. I am a cheapazz so cheap light hubs are sort of my specialty. I found if you maintain them on a regular basis you can baby them along for years.

You know Hopes can be had for cheap from UK sites. I thought this would be the year I would finally get a set of 40pt Hopes for an X12/XD build but Novatech came out with the D771/2 for $100 cheaper and 75 grams lighter.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    been using Chosen hubs..120 POE...raced them and still going strong. they feel smooth too..coming from stock giant hubs the POE on the Chosen's are pretty good especially on sudden climbs when you need lighter gears..almost instant engagement

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by bosbik View Post
    been using Chosen hubs..120 POE...raced them and still going strong. they feel smooth too..coming from stock giant hubs the POE on the Chosen's are pretty good especially on sudden climbs when you need lighter gears..almost instant engagement
    I'm looking for a set of Chosen hubs but not sure where to buy them other than fleabay. The ones on ebay don't list POE either.

mtbr member
    Picked up a set of these Novatec hubs, a little heavier than the 711/712 but still under 500g a set. Bearings feel butter smooth and I counted 27 clicks on the freehub body. The finish is not King, Hadley, or Hope but they are equal with AC or Sun Ringle.
    Origin 8 Scout 29
    Rodriquez Adventure

Blog

mtbr member
    American Classic rear hub from China for $254? You can find cheaper prices domestically: https://www.google.com/shopping/prod...d=0CMUBEKYrMAU

And I find it strange that they don't list American Classic as the manufacturer...

And I've heard of people with good experiences using Novatec and Rotaz (Chin Haur) hubs, though I personally have none. The new Rotaz hub is even convertible between QR and 10mm, and regular or XX1 driver: New! MTB270 Rear MTB Disc Hub - Quick Release or 12mm - Shimano/SRAM XX1
    Tire Design & Development Engineer. The opinions expressed in this forum are solely my own.

mtbr member
    I've seen clearance WTB Laserdisc Light hubsets for around $120 on E-Bay...same hub with a matte finish and a little less machining on the shell.

New WTB Laser Disc Lite Front Rear Hubs 32h | eBay

I personally own a set myself, and to be honest I think the Novatec hubs are nicer which is why I got a set of those for my new wheel project and not the WTB/AC hubs.
    Origin 8 Scout 29
    Rodriquez Adventure

Blog

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by bholwell View Post
    ...The new Rotaz hub is even convertible between QR and 10mm, and regular or XX1 driver: New! MTB270 Rear MTB Disc Hub - Quick Release or 12mm - Shimano/SRAM XX1
    Are you sure that's a Rotaz hub and not a Novatec? I think the Rotaz/Chin Haur/A2z pawl mechanism is crap. The Novatec is much better and fully repairable in case of failure. The MTB252's from bikehubstore look like Novatec variants.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by bholwell View Post
    American Classic rear hub from China for $254? You can find cheaper prices domestically: ..
    Really. At that price I would just get 40pt Hope Evo 2 .

If fast engagement is THAT important i would avoid the ACs, wire spring + to engage the cam plate + to turn the pawls = a lot of slack before the pawls contact the teeth. Its crazy strong and results in no wear to the pawls and teeth but is slow for some people (i find it fine).

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TigWorld View Post
    Are you sure that's a Rotaz hub and not a Novatec? I think the Rotaz/Chin Haur/A2z pawl mechanism is crap. The Novatec is much better and fully repairable in case of failure. The MTB252's from bikehubstore look like Novatec variants.
    No, I'm not sure. I just assumed it was since the other hubs they sell are Rotaz. But I really have no knowledge of Rotaz or Novatec hubs.
    Tire Design & Development Engineer. The opinions expressed in this forum are solely my own.

Trail Prospector
    Best & Cheap are not often related.
    Much like finding a princess living in a trailer park. She may look sweet, yet lacks manners.
    If going this route, best to also order any proprietary replacement parts. (pawls/freehub)

For best of China/Taiwan - add DT-350's to the list.
    The best is the one you want to ride most often..

A wheelist
    Quote Originally Posted by boboxx View Post
    What is the best China hub these days?
    Who knows but just go to BikeHubStore.com and pic your price and color. Brandon don't sell no junk.
    Mike The Bike's home wheelbuilding info - dedicated to providing Newby wheelbuilder information and motivation.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike T. View Post
    Who knows but just go to BikeHubStore.com and pic your price and color. Brandon don't sell no junk.
    How would you rate those hubs compared to Hope Pro 2 Evos?

A wheelist
    Quote Originally Posted by Kawigreen99 View Post
    How would you rate those hubs compared to Hope Pro 2 Evos?
    I wouldn't have an opinion because I've never taken any Hopes apart to compare to lots of Brandon's hubs that I've taken apart.
    Mike The Bike's home wheelbuilding info - dedicated to providing Newby wheelbuilder information and motivation.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Thanks anyway. I have a set of light-bicycle rims on the way and I'm debating between the BHS hubs and Hope. I have a set of Hopes that have been reliable, but was thinking of trying to keep the cost as low as possible without sacrificing durability.

A wheelist
    Quote Originally Posted by Kawigreen99 View Post
    Thanks anyway. I have a set of light-bicycle rims on the way and I'm debating between the BHS hubs and Hope. I have a set of Hopes that have been reliable, but was thinking of trying to keep the cost as low as possible without sacrificing durability.
    I think you would be happy with BHS hubs.

meow, meow.
    I'd add Nukeproof Generator rear to the list.. not exactly cheap but the design is rather refined, as far as aluminum axle cartridge bearing full cassette hubs go. All spares are available. And if the toothed surface somehow fails, it's a pawl set and freehub body replacement, the hub shell (BTW it's forged and has inward slanted flanges, unlike most hubs by model) stays in place. The bearings are (unlike Hope) standard and sized to last, and the leaf springs have a good service life.
    26" faithful.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Post up a pic of the Nukeproof set-up. It's not this sort of crap design is it?

The novatec's have a replaceable ratchet drive ring and freehub bodies in steel and alu. Axles are also available in steel or alu. They are probably the cheapest most configurable Chinese hubs you can get with readily available parts.

meow, meow.
    The *general* design is the same, reversed ratchet. But the execution is very different. There are 6 pawls and not 5. Pawls are double toothed and not single. Springs are leaf and not wire. And the drive side bearing is bigger and there are 2 of them. There are 30 points of engagement. The same mechanism can be seen on some other Quando made hubs, including DMR Revolvers (an otherwise less evolved design than modern Generators).

(Department store bike is the same general design as a real bike, but doesn't quite work..)

PS.

I have several Generator hubs under supervision, none of them had yet (over several years) the problem described in the article that you linked to. And I don't recommend whatever a2z and Rotaz branded hubs I had experience with either, they do fall apart from use indeed.
    26" faithful.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I just got a new dt swiss 350 for 95 on ebay. If you look for deals you can find some really great gear cheap

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by J. Random Psycho View Post
    The *general* design is the same, reversed ratchet. But the execution is very different. There are 6 pawls and not 5. Pawls are double toothed and not single. Springs are leaf and not wire. And the drive side bearing is bigger and there are 2 of them. There are 30 points of engagement. The same mechanism can be seen on some other Quando made hubs, including DMR Revolvers (an otherwise less evolved design than modern Generators).

(Department store bike is the same general design as a real bike, but doesn't quite work..)

PS.

I have several Generator hubs under supervision, none of them had yet (over several years) the problem described in the article that you linked to. And I don't recommend whatever a2z and Rotaz branded hubs I had experience with either, they do fall apart from use indeed.
    Those look suspiciously like the Bicycle Wheel Warehouse XCR hubs that saw a lot of attention on this forum about five years ago...probably same Asian manufacturer.

Best Cheap China Hub-464.jpg
    421522d1231054854-bww-pure-wheelset-arrived-freehub1.jpg
    Origin 8 Scout 29
    Rodriquez Adventure

Blog