mtbr member

Bent Valiant...which rim to get?

I bent a Valliant rim enough that the brakes stop the rim on 2nd revolution.

Can this be trued out or should I get another rim? Which rim should I get Mavic XC517/717 or another Valiant?

A wheelist
    Quote Originally Posted by debarkbuster
    I bent a Valliant rim enough that the brakes stop the rim on 2nd revolution.
    That is totally dependent on how close the pads are to the rim! A VERY true wheel of 0.003" wobble wouldn't spin one revolution if a pad was 0.002" from that rim.

Can this be trued out or should I get another rim?
    This can only be judged by someone who has experience in wheel truing.

Which rim should I get Mavic XC517/717 or another Valiant?
    Valiants were always a crap-shoot and usually a waste of money. They were marketed as being lighter than the Bontrager Mustang when in fact many of them weighed MORE than the Mustang. Of course they were always more expensive than the Mustang. There was not enough control in the manufacturing process. I have the figures that someone listed a few years back.
    Mike The Bike's home wheelbuilding info - dedicated to providing Newby wheelbuilder information and motivation.

mtbr member
    so are you recommending the Mustang? I am 215lbs and like to jump drop off things at high speeds... but don't want a super-heavy rim either.

A wheelist
    so are you recommending the Mustang? I am 215lbs and like to jump drop off things at high speeds... but don't want a super-heavy rim either.
    No, I'm not recommending anything, just pointing out that Valiants didn't deserve their place in the "light rim" category and they fooled a lot of people. The only way to shop for Valiants is with a digital gram scale.

One wheelbuilder who frequented this forum weighed Valiants (listed as 375g and later at 390g) all the way up to 434g. And he had Mustangs (listed as 430g) ranging from 420 to 430g. Buyer beware. BS comes cheap.

Do your homework wisely considering your weight and intended use. Valiants (either correct weight or not) wouldn't be close to what I would suggest.
    Mike The Bike's home wheelbuilding info - dedicated to providing Newby wheelbuilder information and motivation.

JmZ
    Reformed Lurker

Hey - that's me! :)

What I'm reading from Mike is get the right rim for the application.

If you're 215 and jumping at high speed - unless you are exceptionally fluid and ride light - a lightweight rim of any type is a temporary solution. You'll be needing another one soon.

Sounds like you might want something a bit burlier - I'd call and talk with Mike Garcia of Odds and Endos, Larry at Mountain High Cyclery, Chad at Redbarn, or a local shop you trust and tell them about the riding you do and then ask what rims they would recommend. You should get something that will last longer.

I was the guy who purchased and ran both the Mustangs and Valiants. I liked the Valiants for a decent XC rim. It was only worth it though when walking in with a scale though - the rim weights varied quite a bit.

And to add to Mike's description below. I've had REAR Bonti Mustangs in the 420-430g range, and FRONT Bonti Mustangs in the 400-424g range. (Still have the 400g one on the wife's bike.)

The Valiants were not steady when it came to weight. Had two that were both over ANY Mustang I built. (Total of something like 5 Mustangs) The Mustangs were better for variance, and cheaper too!

And if you can fix your current one - if you're not sure... Take it to a local shop you trust. They can tell you much better than we can. Depends on how far out of true/round, and what your spoke tension is like. We can't tell you that from the other end of a computer screen.

Good luck,

JmZ

Quote Originally Posted by Mike T.
    No, I'm not recommending anything, just pointing out that Valiants didn't deserve their place in the "light rim" category and they fooled a lot of people. The only way to shop for Valiants is with a digital gram scale.

One wheelbuilder who frequented this forum weighed Valiants (listed as 375g and later at 390g) all the way up to 434g. And he had Mustangs (listed as 430g) ranging from 420 to 430g. Buyer beware. BS comes cheap.

Do your homework wisely considering your weight and intended use. Valiants (either correct weight or not) wouldn't be close to what I would suggest.
    JmZ

From one flat land to another.

Advocate as if your ride depends on it...

mtbr member
    Cool thanks for the advice guys. I was leaning towards using the extra valiant rim as a temporary fix because I have an extra front; however the back rim is bent. Is there any difference do you know? Would there be any drawback to lacing a front rim up as a rear?

A wheelist
    Quote Originally Posted by JmZ
    Hey - that's me!
    It WAS you! When I posted the above weights I didn't look as to who had provided the info years ago (Dec 12/02 actually) that I saved to a .txt file (I save LOTS of info!). So when I saw this post I opened up the .txt file again and the final line was "I won't buy Valiants unless I can weigh them myself. Period. Mustangs are a different story. JmZ"

How about that eh?

To the OP - As JmZ says, at 215lb and getting some air, a Valiant rim (not matter HOW much extra meat it has) will probably be a temporary fix. Better to get the right one for the job.

JmZ
    Reformed Lurker
    Cool thanks for the advice guys. I was leaning towards using the extra valiant rim as a temporary fix because I have an extra front; however the back rim is bent. Is there any difference do you know? Would there be any drawback to lacing a front rim up as a rear?
    If you have an offset rear rim, then there is a difference. The spoke holes are offset by 2-3 mm to reduce dish.

That means the spokes are slightly different lenghts.

The asym design is also supposed to be stronger. Otherwise there really isn't a front/rear rim. If you're running a rear disc hub you might run into where the the nds is shorter than the ds spokes. Normally they're close, but depending on which particular rim/hub combo it can change - not that it really matters.

Best bet is to at least talk to a local shop you trust. Was bending the current rim a fluke or due to 'normal' riding. Typically I use at least and equal rim in the back, and often the next stronger/heavier rim in the back just to make sure it will survive a hit I didn't expect.

JmZ
    JmZ

From one flat land to another.

Advocate as if your ride depends on it...

Exaggerated member
    Slight addition to the Bontrager Valiant rim weights, my front weighs in at 385g and the asymmetric rear weighs in at 433g. I've yet to build these into a wheelset but weighed them on a digital scale 3 days ago. I also have a ceramic asymmetric rear rim which I can weigh if you're curious.
    Alex