Thread: Bent Rim

mtbr member
    Jun 2014

Bonking ... not feelin' well Bent Rim

Hey guys. Was taking my bike for a nice jaunt through the forest the other day and came back with a ding in the rim. I'm not sure how fixable this is and would love some feedback. They are WTB Frequency i23 and I got them with my new bike which I got 5/30/14. That being said they should be under warranty (I think).

Bent Rim-img_20140620_152240-nopm-.jpg

I know this isn't the best picture, but I'll try to get some more a little later. That being said the dent is outward right on the W of WTB. Pressing a little on the sidewall of the tire gives me a nice faceful of sealant. Took it to the bikeshop and they said I would be OK to ride on it but they can't fix it. Any thoughts?

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator

Bent Rim

Quote Originally Posted by jstoup111 View Post
    Hey guys. Was taking my bike for a nice jaunt through the forest the other day and came back with a ding in the rim. I'm not sure how fixable this is and would love some feedback. They are WTB Frequency i23 and I got them with my new bike which I got 5/30/14. That being said they should be under warranty (I think).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20140620_152240:nopm:.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	69.6 KB 
ID:	902851

I know this isn't the best picture, but I'll try to get some more a little later. That being said the dent is outward right on the W of WTB. Pressing a little on the sidewall of the tire gives me a nice faceful of sealant. Took it to the bikeshop and they said I would be OK to ride on it but they can't fix it. Any thoughts?
    Not fixable and not a warranty issue. As long as the tire stays on, use it.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    You could try and bend it back.

And put a little extra air in the tires next ride!

Re: Bent Rim

Quote Originally Posted by dgaddis1 View Post
    You could try and bend it back.

And put a little extra air in the tires next ride!
    I have seen too many recent rims crack when "fixing" them.

I have several wheelsets with many rim dings that happened 5+ years ago and have caused no problems. All bend inward, though.
    mtbtires.com

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy View Post
    I have seen too many recent rims crack when "fixing" them.

I have several wheelsets with many rim dings that happened 5+ years ago and have caused no problems. All bend inward, though.
    I can't say I'm disappointed. How long can I expect it to last? I hate having to drop money on a new wheelset so soon after getting the bike. Also do not want to end up walking it home if I hit something in that spot now that its weakened.

Re: Bent Rim

Quote Originally Posted by jstoup111 View Post
    I can't say I'm disappointed. How long can I expect it to last? I hate having to drop money on a new wheelset so soon after getting the bike. Also do not want to end up walking it home if I hit something in that spot now that its weakened.
    It could last 10 years. It is not just going to fail completely on the next hit.

Even then, you do not need a new wheelset, just a new rim laced to your hub, at worst.
    mtbtires.com

mtbr member

Bent Rim

I run tubeless too and I carry a tube in my pack just in case I tear a tire or bend a rim and it won't seal. Probably not a bad idea for you.

My current bike--2014 Trek Fuel EX 8 29er.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Probably not a bad idea for EVERYONE.

fixed that for you.
    My bike MCA kinda climbs like a billy-goat. WOO WOO!

FBI tested, NSA approved!
    I'm probably the minority opinion here. I taco'd a rim last year (bike fell off a yakama rack when one of the straps failed. I unlaced the rim and laid it on the counter. There was about an inch of rim off the counter on each side. I used a rolled up towel and gentle pressure to get the rim within 1/8". One section of rim was bulged (according to my calipers) but only on one side. I used a quick clamp (braced on one side with a 2x4 to distribute pressure and prevent both sides from getting pinched) and brought that back within 1mm or so. When the wheel was laced and trued it came out real close to true and round (within 4 or 5mm). I don't recommend using straightened wheels in critical applications but this one's been down hundreds of miles of gravel and trail and it's okay.
    The most expensive bike in the world is still cheaper than the cheapest open heart surgery.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Forster View Post
    I'm probably the minority opinion here. I taco'd a rim last year (bike fell off a yakama rack when one of the straps failed. I unlaced the rim and laid it on the counter. There was about an inch of rim off the counter on each side. I used a rolled up towel and gentle pressure to get the rim within 1/8". One section of rim was bulged (according to my calipers) but only on one side. I used a quick clamp (braced on one side with a 2x4 to distribute pressure and prevent both sides from getting pinched) and brought that back within 1mm or so. When the wheel was laced and trued it came out real close to true and round (within 4 or 5mm). I don't recommend using straightened wheels in critical applications but this one's been down hundreds of miles of gravel and trail and it's okay.
    I think I may do this if I get another rim. Took it for a ride today without any trouble but I don't want to cause any more issues than I already have. I know aluminum doesn't like being bent much and I'd hate to break it and be bikeless until I get a new rim. When I get one I'll let you know how it goes!!

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    I just tacoed... well almost tacoed my second rim. Around here I can often find something almost but not quite used up as a spare until the new part wheel etc gets ordered or built. If you decide to replace the rim and don't want to go without a bike ride this rim with a tube till you find a spare cost effective spare. Maybe I am weird I keep a spare set of wheels at home and I am afraid of breaking my carbon handle bar so I keep the old aluminum one in my trunk.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by hedonistic View Post
    .... I am afraid of breaking my carbon handle bar so I keep the old aluminum one in my trunk.
    if you land/crash hard enough to break a carbon bar, you probably won't be able to use the aluminum one the same day....

If you're seriously that concerned about it breaking while JRA, put the aluminum one back on now.
    My bike MCA kinda climbs like a billy-goat. WOO WOO!

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    You maybe right, a buddy who spends more rubber side down than I do broke a bar in a mild crash. The end of the bar got a bit smashed, I still rides with the same bar, left a little skin on the trail and we kept riding. I think he just trimmed off a few MM on each side.