mtbr member
    Feb 2013

Bonking ... not feelin' well Bent bicycle wheel. Why??

Hello. I have a serious problem here. When i started biking mostly xc (with agrressive trails) I used to bent my rear bicycle wheel. My rear wheel was very untrue, so i went to a bike shop and they trued it. After 1 month it became worst. I realized that i had to throw the wheelset away, so i bought a new one the "DT SWISS xm 1700 tricon" (bargain 296). They have not arrived yet, but i am pretty sure that i will bend them too. Why is this happening to me? I am 84-85kg/187lbs, is this why? Am i too heavy? However, when i ride trails, i am very carefull, i go fast but i have very good techinique, i mostly use my arms as a suspension. Moreover i ride a 26'' large hardtail..

Why is this happening to me? I bought a new pair of wheels and i do not want to destroy them.

Have a nice day and thanks for reading my topic!

Also, If someone has heard of these wheels ("DT SWISS xm 1700 tricon"), please tell me if they are good, stiff, durable.. Thank you

Sweater

Bent bicycle wheel. Why??

It's hard to say specifically. It's very likely associated with the spoke tension and the initial wheel build. Sounds like your original wheel was factory built and not broken/bedded in. Many budget wheelsets can be reliable and last a long time if built correctly.
    Ouch

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Oh thank you for your answer!

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I think you will like the new wheels.

You weight is fine. I think you just got a set of crappy factory built wheels.

As long as you don't run too low of a pressure, the wheels will last.

I have yet to see DT Swiss make anything that's really crappy.
    Lead by my Lefty............... right down the trail, no brakes.

workin' it Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by flienky View Post
    Hello. I have a serious problem here. When i started biking mostly xc (with agrressive trails) I used to bent my rear bicycle wheel. My rear wheel was very untrue, so i went to a bike shop and they trued it. After 1 month it became worst. I realized that i had to throw the wheelset away, so i bought a new one the "DT SWISS xm 1700 tricon" (bargain 296). They have not arrived yet, but i am pretty sure that i will bend them too. Why is this happening to me? I am 84-85kg/187lbs, is this why? Am i too heavy? However, when i ride trails, i am very carefull, i go fast but i have very good techinique, i mostly use my arms as a suspension. Moreover i ride a 26'' large hardtail..

Why is this happening to me? I bought a new pair of wheels and i do not want to destroy them.

Have a nice day and thanks for reading my topic!

Also, If someone has heard of these wheels ("DT SWISS xm 1700 tricon"), please tell me if they are good, stiff, durable.. Thank you
    Wheels can bend for any reason, a hit that is off the axis of the wheel, landing poorly from a jump or drop, or poor maintenance. Wheels are essentially just i tiny piece of aluminum held together with a bunch of stainless steel wires. When the system is new and in proper maintenance the spokes are tensioned at the same rate. As the wheel ages, deflections can stretch spokes, vibrations can loosen nipples and the result is that tension becomes less even around the wheel. Once this happens it makes weak spots in the wheel which upon a large load can cause the wheel to fail. In your case you stated that it was very very untrue. Generally if it gets to the point, any kind of wheel, that the wheel is that untrue repairing it is just delaying the inevitable which would be rim replacement and relacing with new spokes.

Since you already have purchased a new wheel the main thing is to ensure that the wheel is properly maintain. After a few rides check the spokes to ensure that they are all approximately the same tension. You can pluck them or tap them and see if they make approximately the same tone on each side. Drive side and non-drive side and brake side and non-brake side will have different tension but they need to have the same tension for spokes on the same side.

If you come across a loose spoke, either repair it audibly to match those around it or take it to a reputable bike shop that can re-tension the wheel. Then after the first few rides do this every hundred miles or so. Maintain tension is the best way to ensure your wheel stays true and round and ensures a long long lifetime of use.

The tricons are a nice wheel, go to DT-Swiss webpage and get the owners manual for the wheels and it should have some information about truing and maintaining the wheels. It should ensure a long life on those wheels.

Finally, keep your old wheels and have a new set of rims relaced to them with new spokes. This will give you a back up set of wheels, don't throw them away as there is nothing wrong with the hubs and they can be reused over and over.
    Try this: HTFU

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by rockcrusher View Post
    Wheels can bend for any reason, a hit that is off the axis of the wheel, landing poorly from a jump or drop, or poor maintenance. Wheels are essentially just i tiny piece of aluminum held together with a bunch of stainless steel wires. When the system is new and in proper maintenance the spokes are tensioned at the same rate. As the wheel ages, deflections can stretch spokes, vibrations can loosen nipples and the result is that tension becomes less even around the wheel. Once this happens it makes weak spots in the wheel which upon a large load can cause the wheel to fail. In your case you stated that it was very very untrue. Generally if it gets to the point, any kind of wheel, that the wheel is that untrue repairing it is just delaying the inevitable which would be rim replacement and relacing with new spokes.

Since you already have purchased a new wheel the main thing is to ensure that the wheel is properly maintain. After a few rides check the spokes to ensure that they are all approximately the same tension. You can pluck them or tap them and see if they make approximately the same tone on each side. Drive side and non-drive side and brake side and non-brake side will have different tension but they need to have the same tension for spokes on the same side.

If you come across a loose spoke, either repair it audibly to match those around it or take it to a reputable bike shop that can re-tension the wheel. Then after the first few rides do this every hundred miles or so. Maintain tension is the best way to ensure your wheel stays true and round and ensures a long long lifetime of use.

The tricons are a nice wheel, go to DT-Swiss webpage and get the owners manual for the wheels and it should have some information about truing and maintaining the wheels. It should ensure a long life on those wheels.

Finally, keep your old wheels and have a new set of rims relaced to them with new spokes. This will give you a back up set of wheels, don't throw them away as there is nothing wrong with the hubs and they can be reused over and over.
    Thanks A LoT for your answer!!! Have a nice day!

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Wheels arrived.. I bent them in 2 trainings. The front one is more bent than the rear one.. What shall i do guys? I am very dissapointed. These wheels are so strong but why did they bend?? Thank you guys..

Sweater
    Wheels arrived.. I bent them in 2 trainings. The front one is more bent than the rear one.. What shall i do guys? I am very dissapointed. These wheels are so strong but why did they bend?? Thank you guys..
    It's really hard to say exactly why. What were you doing when they bent? Was the spoke tension checked when they arrived and after the first ride? Are they out of true or is the rim damaged/dinged? How severely are they bent? Finally, what are you doing with them? You said XC but I don't hear of wheels taking this much damage on typical XC rides regardless of how fast people are riding. Got any pictures of the damage?
    Ouch

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I ran them with 9psi of air. This is why... The tyre seemed to respond just like a 20 psi air, did not have a pump with me so i pressed the tyre with my finger, it seemed to be 20 psi. However, i am new to this hobby and before the training, i had both of the tyres full inflated, but a clever person of our team said to put less air in, so this is what we did we deflate the tyre a bit.. It seemed to have more air but eventually it didn't.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I ran them with 9psi of air. This is why... The tyre seemed to respond just like a 20 psi air, did not have a pump with me so i pressed the tyre with my finger, it seemed to be 20 psi. However, i am new to this hobby and before the training, i had both of the tyres full inflated, but a clever person of our team said to put less air in, so this is what we did we deflate the tyre a bit.. It seemed to have more air but eventually it didn't.
    Well, the pressure seems to be your problem. 9 psi is way too low.

Most rims (Enve excepted here) will get bent at that pressure. Just as a guideline, start at the min pressure on the tire.

I just bent one of my rims because I got a leak that took a few minutes to get low. A few logs and rocks and I now have a flat spot.

I run 28 lbs in the rear on a 2.2 tire. I run 23 in the front on a 2.35 tire. They are both tubeless.

See if the bike shop can true up the rims. Sorry, you are off to such a rocky start in the sport.

It takes a while to know what a certain pressure feels like with your finger. This feel can also vary from tire to tire. Even a cheap pump with a crappy gauge with get you in the ball park for pressure

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Also, there are gauges you can buy that are small and you can carry with you. These will give you a good idea where you are.

If you are not sure about pressure, go a little harder than softer if you are just using your finger. you will bounce around on the trail a little more, but you won't be bending rims.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Thank you for your answers! Wish you the best!

However, a friend of me told me that the tyre may lost some pressure (2 days after the trainings) because it is tubeless. Don't know..

Not the best start, i have to agree with you. Bent rims, non 100% working shifters, a bicycle computer does not work and a broken chain today (all brand new plus the chain). I am 15 and 1 month and it is really hard to earn money and if you do, it sucks when you buy something expensive (300 like the wheelset) and it does not work. :/ However, it is my fault but i am new to this hobby, i am still learning.. More things to come (hope no defective).

Have a nice day to all of you who read my topic!

Ilias from Greece (do we have any greek here, in this site?? haha)