mtbr member
    May 2013

Bent Axle or Hub? Need Help

2013 Giant Trance X2. Was having problems with my rear derailleur and was doing some adjustments tonight. I kept hearing the chain rub against the rear cassette and could not figure out the problem. Took a closer look while up on the stand and pedaling it and noticed the cassette was moving while the tire was spinning. So, hub sitting still while rear tire is spinning and the hub rocks up and down slightly. THis is what is causing the chain to not line up correctly and cause the rubbing. Now, is this a bent hub, bent axle, or perhaps an bearing issue? Have never had to dig into a hub yet, so i am unfamiliar with the issue. Any help would be great. Have not had a chance to hit the LBS. Video is uploading on youtube now to provide a visual.

Edit: Here is the video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qyiu...e_gdata_player
    Last edited by sinforsale; 06-27-2013 at 10:28 PM.

mtbr member
    That is the freehub body oscillating because of imperfect machining and it is very common and visible to some degree on almost every hub. It is not usually a problem and I have never seen that particular issue cause any chain rub.

mtbr member
    to me it seems like that amount of movement could cause the chain to rub or jump gear since the der stays put while the cassette wobbles

I dont know anything about what hub youre using, but I would first just try and check to make sure that my freehub was propperly mated/sealed to the hub body. Id give things a look-over at that time like check the bearings in the freehub

mtbpete
    I've seen that much movement before. I do not believe that is what is causing your shifting issues.

El CicloPath!!!!!!!
    Nov 2012
    Is your rear hub Shimano? There is slight play on most that ive seen and it shouldnt affect your shifting. Did you have a crash leading to your der. Issues? It could be a misaligned der hanger. A lot of shifting issues may be from that or improperly adjusted cable tension.