Toby Wong?

Barracuda 2.3 MRC UST - boat anchor of a trail tire

OK, so I'm a clyde and ride wild and wooly, and have been trying to find a good, tough, semi-lightweight UST tire for the rear (Mavic 819 rim). Last tire I ran was a tubed Nokian NBX 2.3 and if pressures were below 45psi, I was getting pinch flats. Schalbe Nobby Nic.....cut sidewall.

So I put on the 'Cuda. Good lord, it felt like I was going backwards or towing a huge weight. My friend, who usually just holds on or falls off the back, simply pulled away from me.

Sure, it rails turns and you can lean the bike over nicely, but on my everyday loop, I was gassing out on the uphill and the traction was just too much.

I don't fool myself.....I need a bigger tire. But this DH style tread is not what I'm looking for in a trail tire.

Going to go back to tubes and try the WTB Stout 2.3. It's a thicker tire but seems to have a friendlier tread.

Just my $.02.
    lets not make it a religion, it is recreation

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Keep the Barracuda for front only and put a Spider in the rear. I agree with you that the Barracuda is a very slow thread for the rear but in front it doesn't really feel so slow when matted with a fast rear tire.

eBiker
    Slow rebound tires will almost always roll slow. The energy investment to move forward deforms the casing and with slow rebound, that deformation energy does not "spring back" like it would with a usual compound.

Slow rebound benefits are in rocky terrain.

Banzai had a good suggestion.

P

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    The hutch spider seems good in the back. I've been running the UST version for the past few weeks.

It's fat (extremely wide for a 2.1), rolls well, and has decent traction. Cornering seems pretty good. It's got a fairly low tread density which keeps the weight from being ridiculous. It came in at 746 grams which is not bad for a fat 2.1 UST.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

What MRC compound were you running?

Did you have the MRC Med (black) or MRC High (black/grey) tread compound?
    I've been running MRC Med 2.3 tube type, they roll great, mainly trail riding. They are lighter and roll better than previous big 2.4-2.5 WTB tires I had run.
    The UST 2.3 Barracudas are quite a bit heavier than tube type.

Trophy Husband
    Quote Originally Posted by Tappoix
    OK, so I'm a clyde and ride wild and wooly, and have been trying to find a good, tough, semi-lightweight UST tire for the rear (Mavic 819 rim). Last tire I ran was a tubed Nokian NBX 2.3 and if pressures were below 45psi, I was getting pinch flats. Schalbe Nobby Nic.....cut sidewall.

So I put on the 'Cuda. Good lord, it felt like I was going backwards or towing a huge weight. My friend, who usually just holds on or falls off the back, simply pulled away from me.

Sure, it rails turns and you can lean the bike over nicely, but on my everyday loop, I was gassing out on the uphill and the traction was just too much.

I don't fool myself.....I need a bigger tire. But this DH style tread is not what I'm looking for in a trail tire.

Going to go back to tubes and try the WTB Stout 2.3. It's a thicker tire but seems to have a friendlier tread.

Just my $.02.
    Tap

What about the Specialized Enduro Pro 2Bliss 2.4? I use the tubed version and the sidewalls are a little thin, but they are pretty good rolling and high volume...not sure about the sidewalls in the 2Bliss version.

What about any of the other Specy 2Bliss offerings?
    Extreme stationary biker.