mtbr member

Arrow Racing rims?

Thinking about building a set of wheels with XCL's by Arrow Racing. Only rim made in the US (Grants Pass, OR) nice width and decent weight but, I have not heard of anyone running them. Anything I should know before trying??

Shiggy, they are in your backyard almost, care to comment?

Thanks,
    Nate
    Paco the "Flyin' Finn"

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Not the ONLY one from the U.S.A., but almost.

Nimble wheels also makes their (road) rims here in the U.S.A., as does Stan at No Tubes, at least for the moment. I expect Stan will be moving production off-shore eventually now that his volume is coming up.

The Arrow XCL is a nice rim that is unusually wide for it's weight and has been sturdy for our customers. It is a nice 'tweener product for light-duty freeride/heavy-duty XC ridiing. For some reason Gus decided to release it only in silver, which has badly limited it's popularity. Especially since they show a BLACK one on their website, then didn't actually release it in that color.

mtbr member
    Hey,
    My Bontrager Race Lite Tubeless rear wheel says "made in the USA" on a sticker on the rim. Now I know the hub and spokes are by DTSwiss, so does the sticker mean
    1) they put it all together in Wisconsin, but the rim comes from ______, or
    2) the rim was made in the USA

Just curious, sorry if it's a naive question ... I'm guessing from what you've said that the answer is 1.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Mysterious disappearance of USA stickers...

If it says "U.S.A." on the rim yours is U.S. made. Bontrager rims were originally produced under contract by Weinmann. When Trek bought out Bontrager, they shifted production to their own Matrix division. Matrix also produced all the "Rolf" rims that were sold when Rolf was part of Trek. All the "Bontrager" rims produced by these companies are U.S. made, including yours. Weinmann subsequently got bought by Rigida, which moved production to Mexico, and then eventually folded the company.

I noticed a while back that Bontrager had stopped applying "U.S.A." labels to a batch of rims we recieved. The only reason I can see them doing this is if they have shifted production off shore. I emailed them with this question a while back, and received no response. That's odd becasue they are usually good about answering emails. Since the most recent rims I received were not labeled "U.S.", and I wasn't able to get them to confirm whether all their rims are still U.S. production, I did not include them as a U.S. producers.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bianchi4me
    If it says "U.S.A." on the rim yours is U.S. made. Bontrager rims were originally produced under contract by Weinmann. When Trek bought out Bontrager, they shifted production to their own Matrix division. Matrix also produced all the "Rolf" rims that were sold when Rolf was part of Trek. All the "Bontrager" rims produced by these companies are U.S. made, including yours. Weinmann subsequently got bought by Rigida, which moved production to Mexico, and then eventually folded the company.

I noticed a while back that Bontrager had stopped applying "U.S.A." labels to a batch of rims we recieved. The only reason I can see them doing this is if they have shifted production off shore. I emailed them with this question a while back, and received no response. That's odd becasue they are usually good about answering emails. Since the most recent rims I received were not labeled "U.S.", and I wasn't able to get them to confirm whether all their rims are still U.S. production, I did not include them as a U.S. producers.
    This is interesting. My Race Lite was bought new last year. It was a special order, came new in a box straight from Trek; it wasn't sitting in the shop for a while or anything. It was definitely from 2004. Does that mean its sticker refers to final wheel assembly, or is someone at Trek still making rims in the USA?

My wife's old Trek from 2000 (1999?) had Rolf Satellites, and those did not have a rim sticker saying made in anywhere. I also have a Bonty Maverick rim from the 90s, and it even has a stylized US flag on the rim, but just says "Design by Keith Bontrager"-- like you'd expect it to say if it wasn't actually built in the USA. It's definitely older than my other two examples.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by bianchi4me
    The Arrow XCL is a nice rim that is unusually wide for it's weight and has been sturdy for our customers. It is a nice 'tweener product for light-duty freeride/heavy-duty XC ridiing. For some reason Gus decided to release it only in silver, which has badly limited it's popularity. Especially since they show a BLACK one on their website, then didn't actually release it in that color.
    Is the 26" XCL awailable? When they released the rim they had only 24" ones. Is the real weight close to the advertised one (496g)?

mtbr member
    I talked to Gus, the owner, and he did say that weights do change over time as the tooling wears. But while talking on the phone he weighed one at 497g. Talked with another wheelbuilder who guarantees his wheel weights within 3 % and he says Arrows are very good on weight #'s. The other rim in this area is the Alex FD28 - but have heard their weights are more like 10% window. Personally, Arrow has an excellent rep. and is a US mfg - Looks like Hadley's and Arrows for me (can't find US made spokes - anyone?).

Thanks for everyone's help,

Nate
    Paco the "Flyin' Finn"

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I can't speak on the XCLs, but the DHX rims are one of my favorites for abusive freeride, as they are one of the toughest _and_ lightest DH/FR rims around. Ask the folks at go-ride.com, the DHX is one of their favorites. Also the tires I've tried of theirs are quite nice (ramped bite and prime wide bite).

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Wheelsmith spokes and some DT spokes are U.S. made.

All of Wheelsmith's spoke products are currently domestically manufactured, with the sole exception of their "XE14" 14/16/14 bladed model. This model is marketed to manufacturers, so it's a small volume item that Wheelsmith chooses to import from their partner company in Japan, Asahi.

DT manufacturers their straight gauge spokes here in the U.S., but I believe all the butted models come from Switzerland.

Marwi and Joe Hunt titanium spokes are U.S. products, or at least they were the last time I asked.

As far as I know, everybody imports their spoke nipples. That is the one wheel component that I don't know of a domestic source for.
    Last edited by bianchi4me; 03-22-2005 at 07:48 PM.