mtbr member
    May 2012

ardent front, which rear?

just picked up my hardrock sport disk today. im so stoked! i wont have the time to ride it until christmas or the day after but its been staring at me all night. so stoked!
    i want to go ahead and throw some new rubbers on it soon. being from a motocross background, i know how much tires can make a difference.
    i talked to the guy at the bike shop and he said he runs ardents are they work really well around here. he runs a ardent front and back and said it works well, but wanted some opinions for a rear tire, and also size.
    i would like a little narrower tire in the back. that would put the 2.4 ardent up front, and a 2.25 in the rear if i went ardent all the way around. ive heard a 2.4 may or may not fit the hardrock with the stock forks.

if i get another tire, i may could do the 2.25 up front and 2.1 or somethin out back, but i would really like having a fatter tire IF it will fit safely.

what rear tire would you guys recommend running with the ardent up front? ive heard ignitors make a good rear, as well as the larsen, but would like some opinions from someone who has tried setups with an ardent on the front.
    would you try the 2.4 front or go a different route?

i thought about a nevegal up front since it comes in a 2.35 which is a hair smaller, but im not sure .05 would make THAT big of a difference. and its heavier so im somewhat in a pickle.
    i thought about the hans dampf, and also a nevegal. hans dampf was a little pricy for me just starting. wanting to stick around $100 for a set of tires.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Curious, why bigger in front and smaller in rear?

I'm starting to think the other way around is better. Bigger tire in rear for lower rolling resistance and better climbing traction. Smaller (and more aggressive tread) tire in front for longer contact patch and better cornering traction.

Thoughts?

mtbr member
    May 2012
    It seems like most everyone runs a bigger front tire for more grip up front. A little wider for more surface area. A smaller rear tire for a little less resistance. Just what I have noticed from the majority of people.

I've almost talked myself into an ardent 2.25 rear And a minion dhf 2.35 front

mtbr member
    I just run Ardent 2.25 Tubeless front and rear on my rocks-n-roots FS 29er. Real low pressure, they're grippy and still plenty fast. Don't over-think it.

I'm with stupid
    I really like the ardent front ignitor rear combo. Seems to work on pretty much everything except really nasty mud.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by hitechredneck View Post
    I really like the ardent front ignitor rear combo. Seems to work on pretty much everything except really nasty mud.
    +1 on this. 2.4 Ardent front, 2.1 Ignitor rear on my rigid 29 SS. Both tubeless.
    2014 Cannondale F29 Carbon 3
    2009 GT Peace 9R SS
    2008 Cannondale Prophet 4, Lefty Max TPC

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hitechredneck View Post
    +2 on this combo. Run2.25 Ardent up front and Ignitor EXO on rear of Anthem X29. Tubeless on Stan's Crest.They are a great combo. Ignitor is grippy even on gravel climbs when out of the saddle.
    2015 Giant Anthem 29er
    2012 Trek Superfly Carbon HT

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Hmm I may try that!!
    I have heard one or two mentioning it but no definite.
    I believe ill try it out.
    Will the 2.4 fit up front on the suntour xct fork?? Any ideas at all?

No good in rock gardens..
    Ikon 2.2 rear. Rolls real nice and gives cush.
    My Cannondale Lefty keeps failing....

no trees are safe
    you could try Monorail as a rear tyre.

No good in rock gardens..
    Quote Originally Posted by Millfox View Post
    you could try Monorail as a rear tyre.
    I've tried that combo (2.25 Ardent and 2.1 Monorail) and really liked it too. I think the 2.2 Ikon rolls just as well, and has a bit more volume so that's my current setup.
    My Cannondale Lefty keeps failing....

mtbr member
    May 2012
    How does the ikon and ignitor compare??