Results 1 to 19 of 19
  1. #1
    sinner
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    226

    Ardent EXO tubeless?

    Will I had any problems running Ardent EXO 2.25 tubeless on Stans flows?

  2. #2
    not so super...
    Reputation: SSINGA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    11,459
    No prolems. Work perfectly!
    Nothing to see here.

  3. #3
    sinner
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    226
    I wish that was the case for me. I have been tubeless for 4 years running all sorts of different tires. All on Stan's Flows with some tubeless ready and mostly non tubeless tires. These are the only ones that have blown off the rear rim in a matter of minutes of riding. The front is fine but the rear will not hold the bead @ 28psi. I was really excited about tougher sidewall Maxxis's but I just pissed 80 bucks. I hope it is a defective tire.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    28
    No problems here either. I spent 5 minutes with some nail clippers tidying up the excess rubber on the beads though. The beads popped with the air compressor and soapy bubbles straight away, then I put some stans in via the valve and they held tight enough for a quick blast of air to re-seat them. No troubles riding on them at 28+ PSI and I'm 200lbs +

  5. #5
    I'm with stupid
    Reputation: hitechredneck's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    3,943
    Silly question but does anyone have a picture of a ardent 2.4 and a advantage 2.4 next to each other so i could get a feel for tread depth compared to a tire i already use.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: bholwell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    2,085
    Quote Originally Posted by hitechredneck
    Silly question but does anyone have a picture of a ardent 2.4 and a advantage 2.4 next to each other so i could get a feel for tread depth compared to a tire i already use.
    Photos can be deceiving. Both the ADvantage 26x2.4 and the Ardent 26x2.4 have a 5mm center tread height and a 7.5mm shoulder tread height. The shoulder knobs on the Ardent are positioned a little further down the sidewall, however, and this gives the tire a little more "rounded" profile. In comparison, the shoulder knobs on the ADvantage are closer to the centerline, and the tire has a more "square" profile, and the shoulder knobs do not stick out quite as much.
    Tire Design & Development Engineer. The opinions expressed in this forum are solely my own.

  7. #7
    I'm with stupid
    Reputation: hitechredneck's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    3,943
    Thanks, out of the two which would be better suited for Colorado front range type riding, or loose over hard pack, rocks lots of them dusty dry trail and pikes peak decomp graninte with some trails almost like gravel roads but single track.With a good mix of sand and loose blown out corners. But on average not alot of mud or wet. For a aggressive riding style on a slack 160 mm bike?

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    244
    I run Ardent EXO on my DTSwiss 500 rims (F: 2.4; R: 2.25) tubeless and have had absolutely no issues. In fact I didn't ride them this winter and they still had 28 lbs when I checked them other day.

    But now I have Tioga Psycho Genius on my P-35 rims (F/R: 2.35") tubeless and I love them over performance over the Ardents. The Ardents do not seem to hold in corners unless you throw the bike way over. They are definitely way easier to pedal up hill over the Nevagals I originally had on that rim.

  9. #9
    rr
    rr is offline
    I don't do PC
    Reputation: rr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    7,415
    Quote Originally Posted by hitechredneck
    Thanks, out of the two which would be better suited for Colorado front range type riding, or loose over hard pack, rocks lots of them dusty dry trail and pikes peak decomp graninte with some trails almost like gravel roads but single track.With a good mix of sand and loose blown out corners. But on average not alot of mud or wet. For a aggressive riding style on a slack 160 mm bike?
    Arin I've been riding the Ardent 2.4 for awhile, and while it doesn't seem as knobby as the 26er version, I wish for more knobbage in our loose stuff, up front at least, still the best option for 29ers tho IMO.

    Have you tried the 2.5 DHF?, that was my fav 26er tire for our trails, hint hint Bryan

  10. #10
    I'm with stupid
    Reputation: hitechredneck's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    3,943
    Quote Originally Posted by rroeder
    Arin I've been riding the Ardent 2.4 for awhile, and while it doesn't seem as knobby as the 26er version, I wish for more knobbage in our loose stuff, up front at least, still the best option for 29ers tho IMO.

    Have you tried the 2.5 DHF?, that was my fav 26er tire for our trails, hint hint Bryan
    I have one it is ok, but looking for something that does better in loose over hard type conditions, think cmsp type of condition and afa and has better side bite on steep off camber narrow shelf type trail ie mule. ( i tend to push the DHF down the hill and eat it) I works great pointing straight down as far as steering but there has to be a better all arounder trail tire that can still corner hard. the hunt continues.

  11. #11
    rr
    rr is offline
    I don't do PC
    Reputation: rr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    7,415
    Panaracer Fire FR's also worked well in our loose stuff, probably a tad better from a traction standpoint. Overall I preferred the DHF as it rolled a tad better but I still felt they hooked up nicely in the corners.

    Try one of those DH Nevy's that were on the Gran Mal, now those hooked up!, if you like the traction I think they are available in a single ply.

  12. #12
    rr
    rr is offline
    I don't do PC
    Reputation: rr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    7,415
    dble post
    Last edited by rr; 04-27-2011 at 11:28 AM.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation: bholwell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    2,085
    Quote Originally Posted by hitechredneck
    Thanks, out of the two which would be better suited for Colorado front range type riding, or loose over hard pack, rocks lots of them dusty dry trail and pikes peak decomp graninte with some trails almost like gravel roads but single track.With a good mix of sand and loose blown out corners. But on average not alot of mud or wet. For a aggressive riding style on a slack 160 mm bike?
    I would choose the ADvantage 2.4. The spacing between the knobs is a little greater, and the knobs themselves a slightly larger. It's like a DH-lite tire. Definitely a better choice for loose conditions.
    Tire Design & Development Engineer. The opinions expressed in this forum are solely my own.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation: bholwell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    2,085
    Quote Originally Posted by rroeder
    Arin I've been riding the Ardent 2.4 for awhile, and while it doesn't seem as knobby as the 26er version, I wish for more knobbage in our loose stuff, up front at least, still the best option for 29ers tho IMO.

    Have you tried the 2.5 DHF?, that was my fav 26er tire for our trails, hint hint Bryan
    You don't have to "hint, hint" at me, Rick
    Tire Design & Development Engineer. The opinions expressed in this forum are solely my own.

  15. #15
    I'm with stupid
    Reputation: hitechredneck's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    3,943
    Quote Originally Posted by bholwell
    I would choose the ADvantage 2.4. The spacing between the knobs is a little greater, and the knobs themselves a slightly larger. It's like a DH-lite tire. Definitely a better choice for loose conditions.
    Thanks for answering that.
    Thanks for the help as well rick on day i will find a tire that i like.

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation: bholwell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    2,085
    Quote Originally Posted by hitechredneck
    I have one it is ok, but looking for something that does better in loose over hard type conditions, think cmsp type of condition and afa and has better side bite on steep off camber narrow shelf type trail ie mule. ( i tend to push the DHF down the hill and eat it) I works great pointing straight down as far as steering but there has to be a better all arounder trail tire that can still corner hard. the hunt continues.
    You might want to take a look at this one when it becomes available (in a few months, I believe). The High Roller II 26x2.4 with Exo-Protection. Performs better in loose conditions than the DHF, slightly more aggressive shoulder knobs than the old HR, but without that vague transition zone and abrupt let-go.

    Tire Design & Development Engineer. The opinions expressed in this forum are solely my own.

  17. #17
    I'm with stupid
    Reputation: hitechredneck's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    3,943
    That looks like a winner, all the things i didnt like about highroller and dhf are addressed. How about a promo tire to test, just send it to rick and i will test it out for here.

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation: arphaxhad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    393
    Just mounted my 1 yr old Ardents 2.4 ghetto split tube on WTB speeddisc all mountain rims using Flat Attack as the sealant. The mounted quickly, and sealed nicely. Ran them 23psi on my XXIX and had no troubles with burping even after a baby-head creek crossing that I have pinch flatted on more than once. (i weigh 220) they have held the pressure for over 24hrs.

    Tried the same method on some old WTB stouts and couldnt get the bead to seal I now know what the boards have been saying about some tire/rim combos working and some not...

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    111
    A couple of years later, and there is another guy having problems with Ardent EXOs, tubeless, on Flows. 2.25 Rear blew off within 5 minutes. Then I cleaned and re-taped the rear rim, and it worked for about a month, then blew off after landing a little droplet funny. Front has been fine. Just switched to 2.4s and didn't even bother trying the back tubeless, as the front was a bitc% to get on. FYI, I've had nothing with good luck with Specialized and Schwalbe on Flows and Mavic 819s.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •