mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Ardent 2.4 tubeless on P35 (Blunt35)

Should this be easy enough to do? I'm thinking of going this route for the front of my rigid SS. Anyone done this or have comments about either the tire or the rim?

Always Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by Wish I Were Riding View Post
    Should this be easy enough to do? I'm thinking of going this route for the front of my rigid SS. Anyone done this or have comments about either the tire or the rim?

Check this out.

The Ardent 2.4 is a big XC tire that does great here in the Midwest. I even like it on snow! According to the above link works fine on the 35mm wide rim. I've only run mine on the Flow and regular Blunt rims with no issues.

BB

This place needs an enema
    I don't recommend using the P35's tubeless.

I say this based on personal experience with burping air out of them on tech trails, regardless of which tires or amount of pressure. Has happened with everything from 2.0 xc tires on up to 2.5" dual ply AM/FR tires. The culprit IMO is the lack of a designed-for-tubeless bead shelf. Very easy to push the bead out of place when JRA.

Naturally, I pass this info on to my wheel customers when asked. Some take the advice, some have to find out for themselves. Those that choose the latter almost invariably report back shortly with their own burp/bead displacement stories.

I should make clear that I really like the P35 rims from a building and riding perspective. I just don't think they're up to the task of aggressive use when tubeless.

MC

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I'm not dead set on needing tubeless with this setup. But do you know if the new Blunt35 has been redesigned at all for better tubeless tire fit?

Quote Originally Posted by mikesee View Post

I should make clear that I really like the P35 rims from a building and riding perspective. I just don't think they're up to the task of aggressive use when tubeless.

MC

mtbr member
    I'm not dead set on needing tubeless with this setup. But do you know if the new Blunt35 has been redesigned at all for better tubeless tire fit?
    Velocity rims have always been easy to flatspot/made of softer alloys. If you're set on tubeless it might be worth looking into the Flow EXs or maybe some of the wider WTB or Mavic rims.

mtbr member
    I don't recommend using the P35's tubeless.

I say this based on personal experience with burping air out of them on tech trails, regardless of which tires or amount of pressure. Has happened with everything from 2.0 xc tires on up to 2.5" dual ply AM/FR tires. The culprit IMO is the lack of a designed-for-tubeless bead shelf. Very easy to push the bead out of place when JRA.

Naturally, I pass this info on to my wheel customers when asked. Some take the advice, some have to find out for themselves. Those that choose the latter almost invariably report back shortly with their own burp/bead displacement stories.

MC
    That is interesting because to me they appear to have a shelf. Now that said, they do lack an internal lip that holds the tire bead like the TCS rims. But my Stans Flow rims do not have this lip either and burping isn't an issue. I wonder if the bigger issue is the inner diameter of the rim. Stans rims are larger here to make a snug fit, I've heard the P35 and the Pacenti TL28 (same design) are pretty loose fitting.
    Former bicycle mechanic for 8 years, current soil scientist.

Blog

Trail Prospector
    I don't recommend using the P35's tubeless... I should make clear that I really like the P35 rims from a building and riding perspective. I just don't think they're up to the task of aggressive use when tubeless.
    MC
    No doubt MC is right.

Wish I had read this 8 months ago before building a set.
    Have learned the hard way, led largely by thorns & a floor pump w/ a bad gauge.
    Cannot stress just how important it is to run significantly higher psi vs. other rims.
    Am still running them tubeless at #210 + gear, and
    now with accurate pressure, and packed with 2 scoops of Stans they're working w/o issues. For me, absolute min. is (f) Ardent 2.4 = 26 / (r) Gato = 30. YMMV
    On the wider rims at higher pressure the fatter tires seem to corner better, and w/o any squirm.
    If I had a choice, I'd take his advice & just run tubes.
    The best is the one you want to ride most often..

www.derbyrims.com
    Quote Originally Posted by Bike Whisperer View Post
    ...I've heard the P35 and the Pacenti TL28 (same design) are pretty loose fitting.
    3 years using ghetto rim strips on P35 front and Blunt rear, and never not even once have my Neo-Moto tires burped air.

Ghetto strips effectively make a tire tubular once the sealant has set up after a few hours and glued the strip to the tire.

The same tire is a little tighter to mount onto the inner rim bead shoulder while airing up with a P35 compared to a Blunt rim.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    would you mind linking the ghetto method(s) you've had success with?