mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Is Ardent 2.4 a good REAR tire?

Been running the Ardent 2.4 up front with a Conti MK II protection 2.2 in the back and have been happy with the combo. Now I'm building up a new bike that will accept a bigger tire in the back. I'm thinking about running an Ardent 2.4 back there too. Has anyone here tried the 2.4 as a rear tire and if so then what did you think? fwiw - I ride agressive XC in central VA on a rigid ss.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Read your post, and being that I had an almost new 2.4 sitting on the shelf, and a sad and rumpled 2.25 Ardent on the rear - not an exemplary tire when new - I had to find out. So I put it on and headed for my daily venting of the adrenal glands on the nearby mountain.

The usual route isn't that demanding but I took some detours that show up 'limitations' or funky behaviour and the tire just does what it does on the front except at the other end. I ran 28 lbs and I weigh about 165.

I've never subscribed to the rear tire should be narrower dictum. Every other wheeled device seems to be the opposite and the reformed dirt biker in me has no qualms about a fat back tire. I did notice that when the front wheel was light or lofting in the granny the bike seemed more stable and better behaved so having a bigger tire when all your weight is on it and driving may be a plus.

One thing I like about the 2.4 is how well it handles at hitting fist sized crap at high speed and that transfers to the rear. One fear I had was that I might really like it and be stuck with an 840 gram rear; I'm waiting for a 2.3 Ground Control to show up and it will be interesting to see which ends up on the shelf. The GC is lighter but it will have 'big shoes' to fill.

If you like the tire as a front, being able to rotate off the less fresh ones on the back is a big plus too. Go for it.

There's always next year.
    Quote Originally Posted by bulerias View Post
    One thing I like about the 2.4 is how well it handles at hitting fist sized crap at high speed and that transfers to the rear. One fear I had was that I might really like it and be stuck with an 840 gram rear; I'm waiting for a 2.3 Ground Control to show up and it will be interesting to see which ends up on the shelf. The GC is lighter but it will have 'big shoes' to fill.
    I've run the Ardent 2.4 in the rear on 29er fs bikes. One a more XC bike, and more recently, and more All-Mountain stead. I really liked it as a rear tire, for me and my riding style. Loved the volume--sometimes it would let go without me knowing it, which wasn't too much fun. Eventually tried a 2.3 Ground Control for something 'new' and liked that tire a great deal as well.

If you're building up a rigid SS, I'm thinking a Ardent 2.4 is worth at least a try, if only for the volume. Make sure its matched up to a nice, wide rim :-)