mtbr member
    Apr 2010

Arch+Revo spokes better than Crest+Comp spokes for a 205lb rider in hilly/rocky trail

I am driving myself nutz on deciding the best way to go with my Giant Anthem X 29er.
    Looking for acceleration (snap) and easier hill climbing ( I don't jump...on purpose anyway)
    Would the Arch and Revolution spokes OR the Crest with Comps provide the best solution for me?
    Or would one of the Ebay Chinese carbon wheels for not much more $$ be the best solution?
    Thanks in advance for the opinions.

mtbr member
    That's exactly what I did. My 26" Crest were a bit flexy. I had upgraded to a Niner Jet 9 RDO and knew their 29" Crest would be even flexier, considering Stan's didn't do anything different other than making them bigger. They even confirmed that. So I went with the Arch EX with Revo spokes, Chris King hubs, built by Ghisallo Wheels. 1748g with valve stems. Very stiff an I'm happy with them.

Unfit Norwegian
    Comps are too stiff for Crests by a long shot. (And for Arch EX.) Crests with Revo makes great, light race/XC wheels. Revos will be OK in Arch EX wheels as well, but for those rims, I'd say Supercomp spokes are a better match.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Dazed View Post
    Comps are too stiff for Crests by a long shot. (And for Arch EX.) Crests with Revo makes great, light race/XC wheels. Revos will be OK in Arch EX wheels as well, but for those rims, I'd say Supercomp spokes are a better match.
    Hello Dazed,
    Just curious about the comp spokes being to stiff. I thought you would want a stiff spoke. Is it that the spoke could pull through?
    Are the Supercomps in the middle between revos and comps?
    Sorry for all the questions. Thanks

Unfit Norwegian
    I guess people are getting tired about hearing me rant about this, but I'll try to explain:

Stiff wheels are a good thing, and stiffer (thicker) spokes make a wheel stiffer, but you need spokes that match the rim you want to use. If you want a stiffer wheel than any properly matched wheel, you need both stiffer spokes and a stiffer rim.

The reason for this is that any given rim can withstand a certain spoke tension before collapsing, and has an "optimal range" where it's average spoke tension should be when used in a wheel. In order for a wheel to be durable, all the spokes has to be stretched enough to ensure that they are always under tension. If this isn't the case, each spoke will actually be completely loose every time it's at the bottom of the wheel while it's rolling. This allows the nippes to loosen over time, causing wheels to go untrue and generally not be as solid as they should be. DT Comps are way too stiff to stretch enough at the tension they'll see in a Crest rim.

If a wheel is built with spokes that has the correct amount of axial flex at the rim's correct spoke tension, that won't happen. It will stay true and won't need of the constant truing and retensioning most wheels built with too stiff or (god forbid) straight gauge spokes require.

I hope that was understandable. Sorry about the english.

Yes. Supercomps are 2.0/1.7/1.8 while (most*) Comps are 2.0/1.8/2.0 and (most*) Revos are 2.0/1.5/2.0.

(*Comp and revo come in a 1.8mm threaded version as well)
    Last edited by Dazed; 04-10-2013 at 06:36 AM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Makes total sense Dazed.
    Thank you so much for the info

Unfit Norwegian
    Great. My pleasure.

BTW: Since you're talking about 29" wheels, which are more flexy than 26", it'd be a good idea to move up to Supercomps in Crests as well, (At least on the rear drive side/front NDS) as the 29" Crest is pretty soft, and could use the extra stiffness. The longer spokes in the 29" wheels stretch enough that this will be fine.

Good luck!

mtbr member
    With your weight I'd avoid Crests, especially given the rocky terrain.

I built my own hoops with Crest rims and DT Comps and haven't had issues with undertension. I've had to true the rims a couple of times after banging them on roots or crashing, but no other issues.

What Dazed described is something I agree with in principle: butted spokes allow you to get a proper relative tension to keep the wheel true in use. For light rims you'll want lighter spokes, so they don't require excessive tension for the rim.

mtbr member
    Spokes dont need to be matched with the rim. The idea makes sense, but thats some brink of failure planning. If 2.0/1.8 spokes wont cut it for you on a crest, you picked the wrong rim!

The arch EX is significantly stiffer for a small weight increase. The difference is huge. The crests I built (with supercomps) werent sufficient for the 150lb rider who bought them. You could build crests with lighter spokes in hopes of keeping them in tension, but then you'd have a really really flexy wheel.

Unfit Norwegian
    I'm 215# and have ridden 26" crests with Revo 1.8's on trails for a few months as an experiment, without any problems. Didn't feel any wheel flex. 29" ones are softer, of course, and them I'd build with Supercomps or Comp 1.8mm. If I needed to build stiffer wheels, I'd use a stiffer rim, not hyper lightweight rims with the "wrong" spokes.

IMNSHO.