GL1
    mtbr member
    Mar 2007

Arch EX Feedback

So I'm about to get some Arch EX's built with the Stan's hubs from Stan's themselves.

I want to run these with Continental Trail King, X King or Race King...but UST whatever I decide. I want the added protection of the sidewalls etc.

So my questions are:

- How are UST's on the Arch EX?
    - Is mounting easy?
    - Does the bead hook up well?
    - Any concerns over spoke tension with UST's?

Stan's states these all can be run but I'm looking for some feedback from guys who have used UST's on Arch EX's if possible...or UST setups on other Stan's rims.

Thanks! It's a chunk of change so I want to be sure on this.
    My most brilliant achievement was my ability to pursuade my wife to marry me. - Churchill

Custom Wheelbuilder
    I have been running Conti Trail King USTs on my Stans Flows. They hooked up pretty well and only took two tries to seat completely.
    Out of all the Archs we've sold, we haven't heard of any problems with customers setting them up tubeless. Just make sure to use sealant, and keep in mind that an air compressor will make life a hell of alot easier.
    Check out www.zencyclery.com for fully customizable, handbuilt wheels.

www.facebook.com/zencyclerywheels

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Not an expert but I am looking at Arch EX or Crest and I believe that I read the rim profile and bead hook on the ZTR rims are not designed for UST tires but for non-tubeless ready and tubeless ready tires. I think that I read that on the Stan's website too

edit: I don't believe that zencyclery's Flows are not the newer ZTR rim profile so maybe that's why they worked. The new Flow EX is ZTR and features the BST (Bead Socket Technology) which I guess might make the UST tires problematic.
    Last edited by robc in wi; 11-22-2012 at 10:54 AM.

mtbr member
    I think the new "ex" rims are meant to be used with non-tubelss tires. I tried using a TL schwalbe wicked will on an arch ex (last resort at the time) and ended up breaking the bead.

They have such a big tire seat area that it was really hard to get the tire on. Then once on and after one run down the hill the bead broke. And I mean the bead broke as in the tire was trash and the kevlar bead ripped in half.

I have used the same tires on stand older flow with no issues but the new "ex" rims seem to be even bigger.
    "I'm the fastest of the slow guys"

GL1
    mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I just checked the Stan's website again and it says...speaking specifically of all Stan's rims,

"Most Tubeless tires are compatible: UST, LUST, UST-lite, 2Bliss, Tubeless Ready, TNT."

They only have a few specific WTB and Kenda tires they don't recommend.

Still though I'm concerned enough with what I'm hearing here that I sent them an email just now asking about UST and my tire choice specifically. Ill let you all know what they say.

I also saw they have their own tires...the "Raven" and "Crow." Anyone tried either?
    My most brilliant achievement was my ability to pursuade my wife to marry me. - Churchill

GL1
    mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    And well...so after a bunch more research I think I've decided on the Mavic Crossmax ST's. Very slight more weight than the Stan's build I was looking at (+50gm), and the proprietary spokes were not my first choice, and the rim width is a bit narrower than the Stan's. But, for what I want...a lighter AM build with the ability to easily run UST tires...these seem like a pretty good fit. Found closeouts as well for a great price and will get the Mavic 3 year warranty deal with them. Even with that they are about $100 less than the Stan's build with the arch ex's I was looking at.

Took a look at some nicely priced havens as well but chickened out on those after reading post after post on the rear hub issues with those. Sounds like Easton really needs to address that because they're nice wheels otherwise.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I just got the 2013 Crossmax ST 29, replaced 2011 Arch 29 with Stan's hubs. I did this because the standard Stan's rear hub seemed slow to engage, felt a real delay when transitioning from a quick pedal adjustment to miss a pedal strike or just transfer weight in technical spots.

It's a noticeable improvement with the Mavic's much quicker to engage and less than a build with CK's...but I was unexpectedly blown away with the improved steering precision. I had read that Stan's Arch offered decent weight,price,stiffness ratio, but they are not even close to the Mavic's. It's literally like riding a new bike. Quicker to maneuver and just tracks the line you are thinking.

Have them on a Yeti SB95. Just brought what I though was an awesome ride to a whole new level.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    The new Flow EX and Arch EX work usually very well with UST tires too(according to my knowledge), although originally designed to run non-UST tires with sealant. I've only heard about problems with some Geax tires and WTB tires being too tight to fit on these rims.

I have Flow EX and Crossmax ST wheels, both do work good with UST tires and also with non-UST tires(with sealant). With UST(& -ready) tires I've tried(UST, LUST, 2bliss, TL) the installing and seating is pretty much the same easiness on both. With non-UST the tires it is easier to fit some tires with more loose bead(ie, Minion EXO, Conti Baron 2.3", Maxxis 2-ply DH tires, etc) on Flow EX's than on Crossmax ST's, but on the other hand if the bead is really loose, the Crossmax ST holds the tire better but tends to burp with low pressures.

Only "bad situation" I've had with the Flow EX's was with 2.4" Ardent EXO, which blew off from rear rim while riding in medium speed berm. The bead was/is really loose, most likely damaged. I had same tire mounted as front tire on the Crossmax ST's, it stayed on the rim for quite a long time, but had tendency to burp when running with pressures I'd like to use(~1.2bar), so I had to use higher pressures(1.6bar+) which wasn't optimal, but tire stayed on the rim.

I don't have any facts to state here, but _I think_ that when comparing Crossmax ST and Flow EX(most likely same will apply to Arch EX), the "bead shelf" has more or less the same radius on both, Flow EX probably little bigger(relates to how well tight/UST tires can be fitted on a rim, and tendency to burp). The center well is deeper on the Crossmax ST's(relates to how easily loose tires will "catch air" and pop bead to the "bead shelf"). The edge, or sidewall of the rim is higher on Crossmax ST's(keeps loose tires better hooked). Difference in width probably gives advantage to Flow EX's with tendency to burp in this comparison of mine...

Don't know if this is of any help, but hopefully at least some...

GL1
    mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    It does help thx. And great to hear real world feedback. I mostly went with the crossmax ST's due to a great sale on 2012 closeouts. Sort of like you outlined I think both would have worked, similar weight and some advantages/disadvantages either way so it mostly came to price.

GL1
    mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by ride more View Post
    I just got the 2013 Crossmax ST 29, replaced 2011 Arch 29 with Stan's hubs. I did this because the standard Stan's rear hub seemed slow to engage, felt a real delay when transitioning from a quick pedal adjustment to miss a pedal strike or just transfer weight in technical spots.

It's a noticeable improvement with the Mavic's much quicker to engage and less than a build with CK's...but I was unexpectedly blown away with the improved steering precision. I had read that Stan's Arch offered decent weight,price,stiffness ratio, but they are not even close to the Mavic's. It's literally like riding a new bike. Quicker to maneuver and just tracks the line you are thinking.

Have them on a Yeti SB95. Just brought what I though was an awesome ride to a whole new level.
    Excellent to hear! My entire bike is a balance of weight vs durability...a lighter AM ride with some teeth still but at 28lb. So these will fit nicely into the overall objective I think. Might even get it to 27. Light for a nomad!

Cannonball!
    Absolute P.I.T.A. with Schwalbes UST and Tubeless ready on ArchEX. Destroyed the cord/sidewall of a brand new Racing Ralph, say goodbye to $75. They work amazing with nontubeless tires though, a breeze to air up Maxxis Ardents and Crossmarks.
    Last edited by coiler-d; 11-23-2012 at 07:35 PM.

mtbr member
    Absolute P.I.A. with Schwalbes UST and Tubeless ready on ArchEX. Destroyed the cord/sidewall of a brand new Racing Ralph, say goodbye to $75. They work amazing with nontubeless tires though, a breeze to air up Maxxis Ardents and Crossmarks.
    Had the same issue myself. Think they went a little to big on the bead seat for tl ready tires and made these rims for "cheaper" tire compatability.
    "I'm the fastest of the slow guys"

mtbr member
    I know first hand that Bontrager TLR tires do not work with Arch EXs. The bead on the tire was definitely too large for the tiny hook on the EX rim, and the tire blew off the side of the rim at the trailhead.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Gl1,
    Where did you find a deal on the crossmark st's?

Those look like awesome wheels but are another two hundred onto stan's.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

Wyoming mtn. Biker
    Dec 2008
    I've been running Arch EX rims for a season now. I have had good luck with GEAX Suguaro folding bead tires on the Arch rims, they mounted easy without tools and the bead set easily. I tried Panaracer Fire XC Pros but after mounting them found I could get them to burp by pushing hard on the sidewalls with my thumbs......so didn't ever run them for fear they would blow off.

The ARch Ex rims have held up really well and stayed true for the season. The issue with Stan's rims is you never really know what tire will work and which will not until you try it. And there are a lot of discrepancies between what is listed on their web-site as a compatible tire, as far as brands an beads, and what really will work (just read all the feed back others have had with TLR and UST tires).

Hope this helps.

GL1
    mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by EZuphill View Post
    Gl1,
    Where did you find a deal on the crossmark st's?

Those look like awesome wheels but are another two hundred onto stan's.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2
    Backcountry.com but search the site cuz they have the 2012's for $600 and the 2013's for $800. Make sure to find the 2012's and save some $$$. They are the same as the 2013's with 4 prawl hub etc. great deal at $600 and free shipping. Only diff if any are slight in graphics.

GL1
    mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Google crossmax ST backcountry and you get both sets in your results.