WAWE
    Jan 2004

Anyone switch to another hub brand after owning an Onyx hub?

Edit:
    I'd like to clarify I am looking specifically for anyone who has owned an Onyx hub and decided it wasn't for them.

---
    I've read nothing but good things about Onyx hubs.
    Anyone switch to another brand after owning one? ....and why? ...or is there no going back?!

Let's set aside weight and cost reasons.

I've had numerous CK, I9, Hadley, DT, etc. and shopping for a new build.

TIA
    Last edited by aosty; 01-10-2018 at 03:12 PM.

mtbpete
    If you set aside weight and cost I don't see how anyone would switch back, unless the hub is too quiet. I believe a very few people do like the ratchet sound of other hubs for one reason or another.

beater
    I would use DT Swiss if I want to save money or weight. Otherwise I foresee sticking to these two brands.

mtbr member
    Honestly, you'll read very little negative about any premium hub from the big brands.

Buy quality hubs (onyx definitely is quality), but almost just as important is buying a hub you like for whatever subjective reason you have. I'd much rather have a WI hub, if I ended up with an onyx I'd always regret not having a WI. You might be opposite. Neither is right or wrong.

transmitter~receiver
    Quote Originally Posted by aosty View Post
    Let's set aside weight and cost reasons.
    Quote Originally Posted by pvd
    Time to stop believing the hype and start doing some science.
    29er Tire Weight Database

mtbr member
    Bang for the buck and fairly quiet, you can't beat Shimano XT. However, if you are obsessed with instant engagement, then Shimano won't be for you.

WAWE
    Jan 2004
    Thank you for all the replies. WI, XT, DT, are all fine hubs.

I'd like to clarify I am looking specifically for anyone who has owned an Onyx hub and decided it wasn't for them.

Rider/Builder/Hacker
    Nov 2015

Anyone switch to another hub brand after owning an Onyx hub?

There are some that claim to experience a 'wind up' of the sprag clutch under various scenarios. This leads to engagement which has an initially soft/spongy feel through the pedals. This is not anything I've ever experienced, however. All I know is that I enjoy the silence.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Wish more people would join in on this thread. Iím curious too. How is the maintenance aspect?

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Canít speak much for Onyx but am running a Stealth hub which is pretty much the same.

Canít imagine going back to another hub. Silence is golden! Sure it adds weight but at the center of the rotating mass so itís a non issue for me.

I just do service for once a year and has been holding up well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by wfo922 View Post
    Wish more people would join in on this thread. Iím curious too. How is the maintenance aspect?
    I've got a couple of years of moderate use on a set, zero maintenance or problems. Still spin as silent, smooth and free as new. Can't see myself running anything else unless some genius comes up with a true game changer. The only things I would change about them are refinements, like there is a slight difference in overall finish quality compared to something as sublime as a King hub, and of course they could be lighter, but I would keep them heavy if it meant trading durability for weight. Looking for something bulletproof is what led me down this path, the engagement characteristics and silence are just really nice bonus features that have since spoiled me for anything else.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by VonFalkenhausen View Post
    like there is a slight difference in overall finish quality compared to something as sublime as a King hub
    I can't speak for the reliability etc, but I built up a wheel with a painted (powdercoat?) onyx and the finish sucked balls. Blobs and globs of paint. Had to drill out the spoke holes and face the rotor surface.

Seems like a great design but that kind of finish quality is unacceptable IMO.

Class Clown
    ""looks at Hope hub""

what is this silence you speak of?

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Iíve had a set of boost centerlock hubs with XD driver for a handful of months. They come with enduro bearings, but my XD driver bearing was a cheapo, started grinding after 100 miles! I said screw it and pulled everything apart and replaced with Kogel. I did pull the sprag clutch out and clean/grease which is dead simple, after you order the specific grease lol.
    In hindsight, Iíd be tempted with DT240ís if I built another setup, mainly for the lightweight and reliability.
    I gotta say though, when your bombing through some sweet single track and you hear nothing but tire sound, itís pretty surreal!

mtbr member
    I have a little over 1500 miles on an onyx hub. It's been absolutely flawless. Last 4 wheelsets I've bought though have been project 321. 216 points of engagement, quiet, light, and low drag.

Only reason I went away from onyx was the weight.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by EatsDirt View Post
    I can't speak for the reliability etc, but I built up a wheel with a painted (powdercoat?) onyx and the finish sucked balls. Blobs and globs of paint. Had to drill out the spoke holes and face the rotor surface.

My older set is properly anodized, for my second set I went with a powdercoated color. I didn't have any of those problems, but I would find them annoying. I can see it happening, there is definitely some mass to the powdercoat finish and under a very close inspection there are small flaws to be found. It takes a little away from the feel of a nicely machined component. But I don't regret the decision, the vast variety of finishes offered by Onyx offsets the minor compromise in finish quality, and I really only notice the difference when I unbox them and while I am lacing them. Once they hit the dirt I don't think about it. I hope you made them aware of your problems, they seem to take customer satisfaction very seriously.

mtbr member
    2 and a half years on the back of my HD3 and zero problems or maintenance. Loved it so much I put one on the back of my 5010. Onyx for life. Riding a pawled hub is annoying for me now. I love the sound of tires on dirt so much better than buzzing.

Don't care about the weight, wish they were cheaper (but you get what you pay for), have to have a bell or call out when coming up on hikers or slower riders. No real complaints.
    Ibis Mojo HD3 - Santa Cruz 5010 V2

This place needs an enema
    Quote Originally Posted by aosty View Post
    Thank you for all the replies. WI, XT, DT, are all fine hubs.

If you do as you say -- and remove weight and cost from the equation -- then there's nothing to not like about Onyx.

DT and Onyx are the only two brands of hubs on my bikes. Often it does come down to weight and/or cost for a particular build. If weight is somehow important, I'll choose DT, usually 240s. If cost is important, I'll choose DT 350.

If I can overlook those two -- and it's rare, esp with $ -- then Onyx is very quickly at the top of the list.

This place needs an enema
    Quote Originally Posted by EatsDirt View Post

Weird. I've built dozens of Onyx hubs and have not once experienced anything like this.