mtbr member
    Oct 2012

Anyone Running WTB Wolverine Race 29er Tubeless?

Anyone run this tire tubeless? Any issues? I'm trying to run this with a Stan's Arch EX rim riding agressive XC.

WTB makes a TCS ready Wolverine 29er tire but it's not recommended by Stan's due to fitment issues with their Bead Socket Technology (BST) rim lip.

change is good
    Sep 2004
    The TCS version on the front of my FS developed small fissures in the casing after 2 months and continually lost air. The Race version mounted on a Flow on the rear of my SS has been stellar. The Race came in 40gm heavier and has a slightly larger casing. I've read about others having poor experiences with the TCS casing.

mtbr member
    My and my brother are running the race in the front on our 26er tubeless non-tcs without issue. It set up nicely on my stans rims as well as his rovals. We are both experiencing some weeping in the sidewall but is has not been an issue at all just appearance. I always get my psi dialed in prior to a ride but when on the stand between it doesn't lose much pressure at all. I have around 500 miles on mine and don't see any need to replace it soon.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    So, I bought some Sun Ringle Black Flag Comp's with NoTubes rims. LBS sold them to me and recommended a pair of WTB Wolverines (TCS) to go on them. No Go. They didn't fit, it was literally impossible to fit the tire on the rim, so I took it back to LBS, they tried and failed to get the tire on, damaged my rim strip in the process. I ended up going with S-Works Captain 2.2 in front, Fast Track 2.0 in back, tubeless.

In short, be cautious combing Stans rims with TCS tires because they might not fit.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I am running a Wolverine Race 2.2 (NOT TCS/UST) on Stan's rim ARCH. First mounted without riding they leaked but slowly. After a good 2+ hour ride, haven't leaked at all. I love the tire. Excellent grip on roots, dry, rock, loose, and not too bad in mud either.

mtbpete
    Myself and others have many, many hard miles on the Race versions of the Wolverine in both 26 and 29. They work great on Stan's rims. They may take a little more effort to seal air-tight upon initial installation, but other than that they're great all around tires with good volume.

mtbr member

Re: Anyone Running WTB Wolverine Race 29er Tubeless?

I had to use a combo of metal and plastic tire irons ( not tire levers) to get them on, but it works. At least I know they won't burp.

Having said that, this is actually such a well known mismatch that your lbs should not have recommended it.

sent remotely

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    blew this tire off my rear stans arch ex at 40psi trying to seat the bead. Front has held fine at under 30 psi.