Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Aug 2013

Anyone running the american classic wide lightning yet?

Would be very interested in a wide lightning review and american classic wheel sets in general.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    I'm also interested in Wide Lightning 29er. I don't know if they are available yet.

Does anyone know if I will be able to order these wheels from my LBS built up with a single speed rear hub and a lefty front hub? I'd be willing to change forks, but I'd really like a ss rear and I'd rather not spend the money on a new fork.

mtbr member
    yes i am using AMC wide lightning wheel set. just installed them a month ago and they are really light, stiff and rolls easy. i recommend them if you intend to change you wheel set.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I worry how these will hold up long term (like, a year from now). The rims are the same weight as a Crest, but much wider, meaning the walls have to be quite thin to keep the weight the same. It's hard to imagine them having great durability. In my experience, when things seem too good to be true, they usually are. YMMV.

mtbr member
    Wow, those am classic wide lightening rims are thin. 32mm outer and 29.3 inner width. In comparison, the syntace w35s are 35mm outer and 28.4 inner. I9s have gone wider and even their enduros are thicker at 30.5 outer and 26 inner.

The Nox Composites look really good at 35 outer and 27.5 inner (they are carbon). You might want to look at those rims (and consider having dgaddis1 build them up for you!)

Dustin - looks like you have been building wheels with Nox rims, how durable are they? Can they stand up to all-mtn riding?
    fill what's empty, empty what's full, and scratch where it itches.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Serotta b1kr View Post
    Wow, those am classic wide lightening rims are thin. 32mm outer and 29.3 inner width. In comparison, the syntace w35s are 35mm outer and 28.4 inner. I9s have gone wider and even their enduros are thicker at 30.5 outer and 26 inner.
    Those numbers don't mean much, without knowing the shape if the bead hook you can't really know how thick the sidewalls really are. That said, knowing the weight of the WL rims and how much they weigh, it's obvious the walls have to be thin.

The NOX rims are the bees knees. And yeah, I think they're current 29er rims (which have a 23mm inner width) would be fine for AM use for most folks. Their AM275 650B rims (with an inner width of 27.5mm) are built for anything short of big air free ride. There's an AM 29er rim in the works too, it'll be wider than the XC rim and have thicker sidewalls for even more durability against rim strikes.

Trips for Kids Denver
    I just installed a set on my Rumblefish and WOW the rim sidewalls are thin but what I noticed MORE is the short distance from the bead barb to the amber tape. The rim sidewalls are really low profile. The tires still had a couple reassuring pops when they seated and I see the normal amount of tire sidewall.

It now makes a little more sense that they recommend lower pressure since there is hardly any rim sidewall to get dinged up. Looking forward to the trails drying out AND for my Wolfstooth gears to arrive to test this all out.
    " I'm not inclined to resign to maturity "

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Looking forward to your reviews on ride quality, performance and durability.

Trips for Kids Denver
    Wow, I got to put 4 hours of technical sandstone canyon and XC riding on these wheels in Pueblo yesterday. Don't have longterm durability findings but these wheels have totally transformed the ride quality of my Rumblefish! The increased stiffness and light weight is dramatic when compared to the 2012 Rhythm Elite's. Picking lines and having the bike stay there is a great feeling and they spin up much quicker.

I used to go ride this bike and after I would really feel beat up. In one ride this actually went away! I'm not thrilled with the rear hub engagement. In technical terrain when racheting there is a little free play it seems and I don't get the instant acceleration I'm used to and there is a little bit of stan's weeping around ALL the spoke nipples. Will have to keep an eye on these areas.

I ran 26psi in the front and 30psi out back even though they recommend lower pressure.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by twowheelfunman View Post
    ...and there is a little bit of stan's weeping around ALL the spoke nipples. Will have to keep an eye on these areas.
    That means the Stan's is getting under the tape, aka the tape isn't sealing the spoke holes off. I'd pull the tires, clean the rims, and put fresh tape in.

Trips for Kids Denver
    Turns out I goofed & put the o ring between the valve nut and rim like the Mavic's that I'm sed to where these AC's want the o ring on the inside.

I now have about 100 miles on the Wide Lightning wheels. Really loving the lighter weight and increased stiffness over the 2012 Rhythm Elite set that came with my bike. The old ones were 23mm inner diameter and the Wide Lightning's are 29. can't say I really notice the extra 6mm. I ran the front at 25psi and the rear at 28psi this ride and it felt amazing and not squishy at all. Sealant leak problem solved and I'm totally used to the engagement now.

Happy Camper!

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Nice! Thanks for the feedback twowheelfun. Keep the reviews coming. What tire size are you running front and back?
    I can't wait for my wheels to arrive.

mtbr member
    I've had a set for two weeks now. Got 9 rides on them, mostly crappy conditions, (snow dirt mix). Except for today when things finally dried out.

They roll really well, my tires measure about 1/2 inch wider than they did on my old 21mm inner diameter rims. I notice much better traction on hills and I'm more confident cornering.

I've been running 20 lbs in the rear and 19 in the front tire.

mtbr member
    How much do you guys weigh? I'd be cutting it close to their weight limit, geared up.

mtbr member
    Bueller? Bueller?

mtbr member
    The guy a my bike shop rides them and likes them. He is recommending them for me, and I weigh 195. I like the idea of a wide rim getting more width out of a smaller tire, to save even more weight.

mtbr member
    I weigh about 172.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Just got my wheels! Wooohoooo! I plan to run them tubeless. Is there are specific sealant that is safe for use for these wheels? Or is there a specific sealant that is harmful on these wheels?

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    So... I installed my wheels today. Will go for a ride tomorrow. Woooohoooo! Will put in some kms then will write my thoughts on the wheels.

Used GreenSlime sealant. Hope it is ok and will not damage the wheels.

Anyone running the american classic wide lightning yet?-20140324_203643.jpg

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Got a ride in this morning. Ran 30psi front and back. Using Nobby Nic 2.25 front and rear and running them tubeless.

I used to use same tires mounted on ZTR Arch EX. Ran them with tubes.

The whole bike feels much lighter with AC. I used to notice the weight of the whole bike (and felt that most came from the wheels) when I lifted the bike before. But with the AC I feel that the bike's weight is more spread out all over the bike and not concentrated on the wheels.

Ride quality: Although I was running 30psi (I usually run 25psi when on the Arch) today, the ride felt very comfortable and plush while feeling more stable in corners. I will run them at 25psi tomorrow and see if it will get better.

My front wheel looks more "square" when viewed from my riding position now with the AC. It looked a little more round on the Arch. As for the tire width... I am not sure if it is wider when mounted on the AC. The mechanic said it wheels looks more massive on the AC. I regret I was not able to take pictures when the the wheels were mounted on the Arch. Would have been nice to have pictures to compare with. Oh well.

I have to agree with twowheelfun about the rear hub engagement. There is a noticeable lag when you put on the power coming from coasting. But I got used to it (learned to ignore it) quickly enough.

Will ride it more and post more reviews soon.

Anyone running the american classic wide lightning yet?-20140325_081840.jpgAnyone running the american classic wide lightning yet?-20140325_081855.jpg

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Went to a field and practiced some tight figure eights and track stands... The AC hubs have so much lag before it engages. The lag is so big that I had to re-learn the skills and employ different techniques to execute. Am a bit disappointed with the hubs but am willing to learn to like them coz I like the wide wheels a lot.

More reviews coming.

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Jan 2004
    Does anyone know if the front is convertible for 20mm and 15mm?
    "We LOVE cows! They make trails for us.....

And then we eat them."

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    Does anyone know if the front is convertible for 20mm and 15mm?
    I believe so. I was able to buy a conversation thingy for the rear hub.

mtbr member
    AC hubs are convertible.

Sim
    mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    The hub on the Wide Lightning is convertible from 9mm to 15 mm. The 20mm front hub is a different hub and is not convertible to 9 or 15mm.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast