Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Sim View Post
    The hub on the Wide Lightning is convertible from 9mm to 15 mm. The 20mm front hub is a different hub and is not convertible to 9 or 15mm.
    ^This.

Not all convertible hubs are convertible to all standards.

Trips for Kids Denver
    I weigh 184 all geared up. I'm running a Specialized Butcher 2.4 in front at 28psi. Out back it's a Maxxis Ikon EXO 2.35 at 30psi.

Still loving the light snappy ride! I did have a rock flip up onto the front rim and it put a pretty good dent in the rim wall but it's still true with no affect to tire seal.
    " I'm not inclined to resign to maturity "

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by twowheelfunman View Post
    Still loving the light snappy ride! I did have a rock flip up onto the front rim and it put a pretty good dent in the rim wall but it's still true with no affect to tire seal.
    That's a great indicator as to how thin the walls of that rim are. Check back in a year and let us know how they're holding up!

mtbr member
    A couple of initial reviews here.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Since they only sell complete wheels they are not available for Lefty users.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    I've been running the Wide Lightning rims for a couple of months now. I run them with Hans Dampf 2.35s on my Bronson C (27.5). I really like the ride quality. I've put many hundreds of miles on them and they are holding up beautifully. I bought them to ride as a backup to my Enve AMs but I plan on using them as my primary wheels for a while. I've mounted the same tires on both wheelsets and compared the width and the tires mounted on the Wide Lightnings are much wider in comparison.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I would like to share my problems to the forum, regarding AM Classic AM 27.5 wheelset that I ride a few months now. I bought them on the 3d of January 2014 and I found them awesom at first place. Unfortunately very soon rear rim bended 3 or 4 times. I run them tubeless at low pressure 25 PSi on both wheels but I am quite low weight about 68 kg. I use that pressure on my earlier 26 wheelset, a Sun Ringle Charger Pro, 3 years now without problems. Tires are Maxxis HR 2 TR. Same tires on Sun Ringle.
    I send email to AM Classic and I received an answer from their German distributor that I could buy new rims at 125 euros + postage...and run more pressure.
    Anyway I repaired the rim and tried with tubes (not possible tubeless any more) with a Pacenti 2.3 and I had the same problem. 32 PSi now and every 2 rides I have a bended rim...Something is definitely going wrong. Front rim has no problem so far. I know this is not the "Wide Lightning" but is the same configuration.
    I send an email to the company and wait for their answer.

mtbr member
    AC customer service is not the best I hear. You may be waiting forever.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by thickfog View Post
    AC customer service is not the best I hear. You may be waiting forever.
    May be....but I will not return as a customer...and not just me..

Trips for Kids Denver
    29 inches just updated their review and they stated that these babies have a carbon ride quality. Happy to hear that as they a huge savings over carbon anything.
    Last edited by twowheelfunman; 04-27-2014 at 11:47 AM.
    " I'm not inclined to resign to maturity "

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I'd like to read your impressions of the 650 Epi. Are you planning a review as indicated?

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by grbadave View Post
    I'd like to read your impressions of the 650 Epi. Are you planning a review as indicated?
    Are you referring to me and my bike grbadave? If you are, I will write a review of how my Epiphany performs with the Wide Lightning as it is a Wide Lightning thread.

As per my previous post, I ran the wheels with 30psi before when I first got the wheels. Now I run them with 22 psi front and 25 psi rear on wet and muddy days, 25psi front and 28psi rear on dry, fast and rocky trails. And i pump them up to 35psi front and rear when riding on road on the way to the trailhead where I lower the pressure to appropriate levels for the trail. It is raining now where I am and I will experiment with 20 psi front and 22 psi rear tomorrow morning. Will give feedback on how this feels. I have a feeling i can use this for my wet setting and use 22 psi front and 25 psi rear for dry conditions.

So far, I really love the way my tires grip the trail. Being able to run low pressures is so good! So much traction at these pressures without feeling squirmy. At slower rocky portions, i can feel my tires "hug" the rocks. Crawling up rocks feels so sure footed. During wet and muddy trails, having low pressure inspires so much confidence especially when going over roots. I still ride cautiously though.

I am careful with hitting edges when running low pressures so I make sure I lift both front and rear wheels when approaching edges. I have not hit the rims on the edges so far.

The Epiphany performs so well with these wheels coupled with the Fox CTD suspension. I press a button and the ride changes when in Climb, Trail and Decent modes. Now i wish I had Fox DOSS seatpost to complete the package.

Speaking of dropper posts and Epiphany, I am glad I am using a 1x11 drivetrain so I don't have a front deraileur...As the internal cable routing of the Epiphany XC Carbon for the front deraileur will get in the way of lowering your seatpost. You will need to cut the seatpost so you can lower it for downhills or drops.

The Epiphany with WideLightning and Nobby Nic weighs in at about a little less than 25 lbs. I think I can get it down to 24 lbs or less by using narrower tires...which is supposedly a benefit of the Wide Lightnings. When my Nics wear out, I will try Rocket Rons.

(please pardon the off topic comments).

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Thanks. I have am old Truth w/ 26" Am Classic wheels. I love the quiet hubs and would like to know if these new wheels are qiuet. When I ride with a friend w/ Stan's wheels I can't believe how much the ticking drives me nuts!

Because I may replace the Truth soon, any other info on the Epi would be appreciated. What fork do you use? TALAS used to be the model Ells paired it with, but now it look like it's not offered in the Ells build kits. And how do you think the steep geometry works with this amount of travel plus the bigger wheels?

Quote Originally Posted by BOSERO View Post
    Are you referring to me and my bike grbadave? If you are, I will write a review of how my Epiphany performs with the Wide Lightning as it is a Wide Lightning thread.

As per my previous post, I ran the wheels with 30psi before when I first got the wheels. Now I run them with 22 psi front and 25 psi rear on wet and muddy days, 25psi front and 28psi rear on dry, fast and rocky trails. And i pump them up to 35psi front and rear when riding on road on the way to the trailhead where I lower the pressure to appropriate levels for the trail. It is raining now where I am and I will experiment with 20 psi front and 22 psi rear tomorrow morning. Will give feedback on how this feels. I have a feeling i can use this for my wet setting and use 22 psi front and 25 psi rear for dry conditions.

So far, I really love the way my tires grip the trail. Being able to run low pressures is so good! So much traction at these pressures without feeling squirmy. At slower rocky portions, i can feel my tires "hug" the rocks. Crawling up rocks feels so sure footed. During wet and muddy trails, having low pressure inspires so much confidence especially when going over roots. I still ride cautiously though.

I am careful with hitting edges when running low pressures so I make sure I lift both front and rear wheels when approaching edges. I have not hit the rims on the edges so far.

The Epiphany performs so well with these wheels coupled with the Fox CTD suspension. I press a button and the ride changes when in Climb, Trail and Decent modes. Now i wish I had Fox DOSS seatpost to complete the package.

Speaking of dropper posts and Epiphany, I am glad I am using a 1x11 drivetrain so I don't have a front deraileur...As the internal cable routing of the Epiphany XC Carbon for the front deraileur will get in the way of lowering your seatpost. You will need to cut the seatpost so you can lower it for downhills or drops.

The Epiphany with WideLightning and Nobby Nic weighs in at about a little less than 25 lbs. I think I can get it down to 24 lbs or less by using narrower tires...which is supposedly a benefit of the Wide Lightnings. When my Nics wear out, I will try Rocket Rons.

(please pardon the off topic comments).

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    The hubs of the Wide Lightning are very quiet too. My only complaint about the wheels are the big lag before engagement of the hubs.

I ran 20psi front and 23psi rear yesterday and today. I really love this setting for slower wet and muddy days.

Re Epiphany. I will PM you my thoughts so as not to hijack this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by grbadave View Post
    Thanks. I have am old Truth w/ 26" Am Classic wheels. I love the quiet hubs and would like to know if these new wheels are qiuet. When I ride with a friend w/ Stan's wheels I can't believe how much the ticking drives me nuts!

Because I may replace the Truth soon, any other info on the Epi would be appreciated. What fork do you use? TALAS used to be the model Ells paired it with, but now it look like it's not offered in the Ells build kits. And how do you think the steep geometry works with this amount of travel plus the bigger wheels?

mtbr member
    Four months into riding on my 29r Wide Lightnings. No problems at all. I weigh 165 and run around 19 front and 20 rear. I am a very smooth rider.

Ride quality, traction, everything is better and I put on the tires from my old wheelset so I'd be comparing apples to apples.

I'd recommend these wheels to anyone looking for a performance increase.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by twowheelfunman View Post
    I weigh 184 all geared up. I'm running a Specialized Butcher 2.4 in front at 28psi. Out back it's a Maxxis Ikon EXO 2.35 at 30psi.

Same thing here - a big big dink in the rear WL rim following a steep climb on trail with loose flint rocks (think about the size of a large coffee mug) running Nics 28-30 psi. Needed a compressor to inflate these 1st time, same tyres go up easy with a track pump on stans rims. That said they ride well and I'm very happy with my current rig setting pb runs all over the place.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    So... the hubs on my Wide Lightnings finally gave in and failed on me while in the trails. Luckily the trails were near my home and was picked up by car. I love the rims but was wary about the hubs even from the beginning. I have to admit that my complaint about the hubs was the lag in engagement. But I had no idea about the durability of the hub. Well I suppose this answers my question.

I am still not sure what is wrong but I am pretty sure its the rachet/pawl system. Will bring bike to LBS later to have it checked out. I hope that something just got loose... but if the rachet/pawl system failed, I will not even claim warranty (set is only a few months old) on it and upgrade the hubs to something more reliable for peace of mind. I bought the wheelset for the rims after all.

I hope that this does not happen to anyone else out in the middle of no where.

See the video here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3GGQ...SiiztkYb9Gfe_A

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Update: Brought the wheelset to LBS where I bought set from (local distributor of Am Class). After they checked it, they said that it was the XD Drive for the 1x11 cassette that had the problem and not the hub. Thank God! A spring in the XD Driver was supposedly out of shape. So mechanic bent it back to shape, and assemble it back and declared it good as new. I was hoping he was right. After the service, the hub made more noise when coasting. Before service it was very quiet. I did not mind the noise... all I wanted to do was ride.

So I went for a ride this morning. I ended up walking home as the hub or XD drive failed again.

I am not sure what is really the problem... the Hub? The XD Drive? Will go to shop now and have it checked. Will update you guys as soon as possible.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    The XD Driver IS the freehub body. There's no springs on the cassette.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Correct. Please pardon my mistake. I did not understand hubs and freehub bodies before this incident.

As per LBS... it is the XD driver that is the problem. I don't know if this problem is a factor of the hub. If not, please pardon my earlier post on the hub failing on me. It seems that it is the XD Driver that failed.

Will update this issue again later when I get feedback from my LBS.

Quote Originally Posted by dgaddis1 View Post
    The XD Driver IS the freehub body. There's no springs on the cassette.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    So... after 3 attempts of the LBS to fix the XD Driver freehub body (walked home 3 times) they finally decided to warranty the XD Driver and replaced it with a brand new one. I was able to ride 30kms trouble free yesterday. I have to admit that those 30kms were trouble free but not worry free. I was worried that whole time as to the durability of the freehub body and whether it will fail on me again. I guess only time will tell...

As of now, I am enjoying the wheels and enjoying riding them!

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Been over a week of trouble free riding of about 40kms/day. Woooohooooo! Love these wheels. Praying free hub body holds up.

Trips for Kids Denver
    Ok, after 6 months on the wheelset the front is still true and running perfect despite the minor sidewall ding caused by a rock flipping over into it.

The rear has now received 3 small dings and one major ding that also deformed the sidewall toward the outside. All this damage happened while running an Ardent Race EXO 2.2 at 30psi. I ride on the Colorado Front Range mostly. The big ding happened while riding the Backbone Trail North of S Mountain in Salida. Very rocky and had a blast while doing the damage.

No air loss but have bumped the pressure up to 35psi. While climbing am having a few more spin outs on roots and dust covered rocks.

I had the same problem with the Bontrager stock rear wheel but it had air loss issues. Not sure where to go from here. The trail 29er in my opinion is a blast to ride but (for me) requires a light rear wheel.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008

Upset BOSERO is right - TOO much lag

Quote Originally Posted by BOSERO View Post
    Went to a field and practiced some tight figure eights and track stands... The AC hubs have so much lag before it engages. The lag is so big that I had to re-learn the skills and employ different techniques to execute. Am a bit disappointed with the hubs but am willing to learn to like them coz I like the wide wheels a lot.

More reviews coming.
    You are spot on with your review, the rims are great but the rear hub is driving me crazy. I expected much better. Will have the rear hub replaced sooner than later. The lag is way too much for what we paid for the set of rims.

mtbr member
    Looking to buy this wheelset or a wide chinese carbon set soon. Does anyone have MAJOR objections with this wheelset, before I make a decision? The lack of hub engagement points doesn't bother me, FWIW. Thanks!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast