Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    mtbr member
    Also, I didn't see the Wide Lightning 29er rim weight listed on the AC website. Anyone know what it is?

mtbr member
    1569 grams

mtbr member

Re: Anyone running the american classic wide lightning yet?

Quote Originally Posted by jeffrey j View Post
    1569 grams
    Thanks for the reply, jeffrey j. I know the overall wheelset weight. I'm looking for the rim only weight.

mtbr member
    Ahhhh...I read this on the twentynineinches review the other day:

"So in conclusion I have no numeric proof that the Wide Lightning wheels are less durable than other, heavier rims – simple logic would suggest that a sub-400g cannot be as tough in all regards"

Based on his comment, maybe he got some info from AM on the actual rim weight??

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    The WL rims are about the same as a Crest rim (385g). I got that figure by backing out the hub, spoke, and nipple weights. There's some estimation on spoke weights since I don't know the exact length, but it's clsoe enough.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the info, dgaddis1!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffreyjhsu View Post
    Four months into riding on my 29r Wide Lightnings. No problems at all. I weigh 165 and run around 19 front and 20 rear. I am a very smooth rider.

Ride quality, traction, everything is better and I put on the tires from my old wheelset so I'd be comparing apples to apples.

I'd recommend these wheels to anyone looking for a performance increase.
    I have nearly a year on these wheels now. The difference in performance still amazes me. More traction everywhere. More control in technical terrain and an overall feeling of increased confidence everywhere. I tell my friends that riding these wheels makes almost as much of a difference as going from 26" wheels to 29". I still weigh around 165 though I'm now running 18 & 19 pounds of tire pressure.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Been eyeing these wheels for a while now... going to pull the trigger this month but before I do wondering if anyone can think of comparable wheels to the Wide Lightnings?

From what I know it seems they are in a class of their own, factoring width, weight and cost?

mtbr member
    Sep 2008

Anyone running the american classic wide lightning yet?

Sounds like the rear hub has horrible engagement, see post #39. Not sure how these wheels sets are in a class of their own....Maybe I'm missing something, but a quality rear hub is a pretty big factor in my book.

EBenke

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Guess it depends on one's needs out of their components. Just speaking from my own experience and what I am looking for.

I need wide rims that can support high concerning loads. Run lowest pressure possible and wide enough i-width to try this new 29+ (29x 3.0 inch tires) for some winter riding. I come from a DH background and rarely attack technical climbs. I also don't race XC, thus don't really require high # of engagements.

I have owned and ran the A.C. Race 29er wheel set of my Trance X 29er for 2 seasons. I know what their hubs are like, not amazing but ok. More looking for weight savings and long with wide stiff rim/wheel to improve handling. All the while keeping cost down say under $1000. I have 3 bikes can't afford to make it rain on each of them. Only other option is to go the wide Chinese carbon wheel brands. Which are getting some great reviews but I am also thinking of resale. Worried if/and people are open minded with chines brands (even though 90% of their bike is manufactured in a mass production line somewhere in Asia). Lastly I personally wouldn't buy any set of used carbon wheels but would for alum as damage/abuse is easily visible on alum.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    So now that some people have had time to ride these a season, what do you all think of the rims?

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Has anyone replaced their rear hub? If so, what did you replace it with, does the new hub have better engagement and is the noise level of the hub tolerable when coasting? Mine have been hanging in the garage for 2+ months. I either need to replace the rear hub to use them or sell them.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by huffman View Post
    Has anyone replaced their rear hub? If so, what did you replace it with, does the new hub have better engagement and is the noise level of the hub tolerable when coasting? Mine have been hanging in the garage for 2+ months. I either need to replace the rear hub to use them or sell them.
    Use your warranty? If it is up why not just replace them with DT 240 hub, works with same j spoke bend

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by DiscoRover View Post
    Use your warranty? If it is up why not just replace them with DT 240 hub, works with same j spoke bend
    Not broken. According to the LBS that I bought them from there is nothing wrong with the hub. Purchased them new Sept 2014, rode them several times then put my old wheels back on to compare, old wheels had better engagement so the AC WLs have been hanging in the garage collecting dust ever since. I love everything about the wheels except the rear hub, that's a deal killer for me. I bought new wheels to get quicker engagement now slower. Thanks for the DT240 suggestion, will check that out.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Get the DT 350 from.chain reaction for $105 right now and its only a smidge heavier than the 240

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by huffman View Post
    Not broken. According to the LBS that I bought them from there is nothing wrong with the hub. Purchased them new Sept 2014, rode them several times then put my old wheels back on to compare, old wheels had better engagement so the AC WLs have been hanging in the garage collecting dust ever since. I love everything about the wheels except the rear hub, that's a deal killer for me. I bought new wheels to get quicker engagement now slower. Thanks for the DT240 suggestion, will check that out.
    Would they happen to be a 29er set? I am actually looking for a set to try...

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Any updates on these? How are people liking them? Anybody switch from Stans Flow EX? How would you compare stiffness between the two? Etc. etc.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    I've been running Wide Lighning 27.5s for about 6 months now on my SC Heckler (and as of two days ago my Ibis HD3!). My riding weight swings between ~140 and 150 depending on Camelbaks and cheeseburgers. I run pressure at 18-19 PSI up front and 21-22 PSI in the back.

With the Heckler starting at 31lbs, I went on a bit of a weightweenie mission, and these were part of it. Stock WTBs were 2100g. These came in just shy of 1500g, so mission accomplished in that respect. I also resolved not to let the new wheels dictate how or where I ride. If I taco'd one on a bad landing or dented a wall on a rock, it would just have to be lesson learned. In short, I've been seeing if my weight would let me get away with riding XC weight wheels on AM terrain.

All I can say confidently is so far so good. To be clear, I'm no badass, and some of you would no doubt put these through the ringer better than I have. What they've handled under me are 3.5 foot drops to flat, a good crash off a meter high wooden launch ramp to an off camber landing that put an inch deep bite into my TLD A1, many similar jumps where I managed not to eat ****, and being surrounded by loads of rock of all shapes and sizes. All I have to show for it is a pea-sized scratch through the logo.

To be honest, I expected most of that. They're rated to 235lbs, so should be plenty strong for a guy my size to do whatever my fairly well developed sense of self preservation would allow. My biggest concern was that what must be quite thin sidewalls wouldn't hold up to side strikes from rock. Again, so far so good. I ride through lots of loose rock and in and around rough boulders that seem just the right height to smash up my wheels. I attribute their survival partly to being tougher than I expected, but mostly to being protected from the vast majority of impacts by the tires. The sidewalls are pretty shallow and there just isn't that much exposure.

Survivabilty aside, these wheels perform great. They do tend to square off your tire profile a bit, so it may take a minute to get used to the transition to the side knobs if you're used to something rounder. It's nothing dramatic. You can run them at pretty low pressures which obviously helps traction. I feel like cornering traction is noticeably improved. You can trade in the performance gains for weight by using narrower tires. i.e. A 2.2 rides bigger on the Wide Lightnings than it would on a conventional width rim, so you can get the same performance from it that you might with a 2.4 on a narrower rim.

The big knock on AC wheels has been the relatively slow hub engagement. And, on low speed technical climbs it is certainly present. Industry 9s would be better for that, for sure. That said, I do a lot of those sorts of rocky climbs and adjusted pretty quickly. There's nothing I could clean before that I can't now. Upside is they're really quiet, really light, and based on the road set I've had for a several thousand miles, reliable.

Anyway, I'm pretty happy with them and have no qualms about recommending them for fairly aggressive riding to people within 20lbs of me. They're plenty stiff and plenty tough for riders in that weight range. I don't have any basis to judge them for heavier riders, so look to other reviews for that.
    Last edited by JohnnyVV; 03-29-2015 at 03:21 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    I'm 6'2" 210 pds and will ride a Yeti SB5C.
    Any experience or comments? Are they strong enough?

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Thought I'd post an update on these. They're coming up on two years in October and are still holding up well. I'd guess I've put 3000 or so miles on them. I've picked up three dents in the rear rim, all on one ride. I flatted off a good-sized drop and rode 6 miles out on a particularly rocky trail with 9 PSI in the back. I didn't risk bending them back out as they hold air fine and trued right up. No problems in the couple of months since that happened. No issues whatsoever with the hubs.

To be honest, I find myself frequently tempted to get a sexier wheelset. The hubs are relatively slow to engage, the graphics are pretty terrible (the new ones are much better), and the banged up rim does give me an excuse. But, they're legitimately stiff, durable, wide, weigh only 1.5kg, and can be had for $700-800 new. What else ticks all of those boxes for anywhere near the price?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12